Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,228,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Legalizing what?

Alcohol?

You know, alcohol - which has factored in the deaths of tens of thousands of Coloradans since Prohibition was repealed?

You know what is fascinating?

What's fascinating is that people can be totally cool with a substance that kills hundreds of Americans every week because it was legal yesterday and last month and last year, but legalize another substance that only kills a fraction of the people and people wet their pants.

That's fascinating. And a testament to the ability of people to slavishly worship the status quo.
So, let's Legalize another substance that alters people's minds and reactions behind the wheel. Got it, check. Great argument. Hey, why stop there? If alcohol is legal then by all means, legalize heroin, right? I mean if alcohol and it's corresponding legality is the logic and all.

I know, I know, pot never killed anyone. And just like alcohol, when used in moderation it's usually not an issue, is it? But then there is that human element...so....there's....that..

Party on Garth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
It's money. Those forfeiture laws I mentioned are structured to perpetuate corruption:

1) Any property forfeited is taken at the time of arrest. Even if you are not convicted, you have to sue to get it back (assuming you can afford to sue the government, most can't).

2) The money made by the sale of these assets does not go into some general government fund. It goes directly to the local department that performed the bust. Sometimes it is a LOT of money. Talk about incentive! They don't want to lose this source of revenue. It buys guns, bullet-proof vests, vans, etc. that goes directly to their department. This is not opinion, I was told this directly by a Department of Narcotics agent.

To make matters worse, many police departments also have a bonus system in place, where each officer gets a bonus based on how many arrests they make. Needless to say, most of the arrests are drug related, and the officers on that beat can (and usually do) make more in bonuses than they do from their base pay. Talk about major incentive!

The money and the corruption it causes trumps all the carnage they are carrying out on the citizens of this country. Carnage that is much, much worse than any problems the plant itself could ever cause.

I am not making any of this up. Research it.
I know all about civil asset forfeiture. Just another law enforcement tactic to bolster thier coffers.

Old 02-15-2015, 09:36 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
So, let's Legalize another substance that alters people's minds and reactions behind the wheel. Got it, check. Great argument. Hey, why stop there? If alcohol is legal then by all means, legalize heroin, right? I mean if alcohol and it's corresponding legality is the logic and all.

I know, I know, pot never killed anyone. And just like alcohol, when used in moderation it's usually not an issue, is it? But then there is that human element...so....there's....that..

Party on Garth.
You left out prescription drugs, they kill more than illegal drugs and alcohol combined. But they are legal, so it's all good, right?

Old 02-15-2015, 09:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,551,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Portugal moved toward this and got some good results. Just saying.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:12 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,085,769 times
Ugh.. more Internet falsehoods
I have posted up several times about the process of seizing assets by leo,,, and the timelines... which are usually longer than a year and take several administrative and judicial reviews.

Departments only get a small percentage of seized drug money
Officers getting bounty ... now that's a good one... however illegal ....where do you come up with these crazy stories.., god knows if it's true I need a big check sent to me....waiting,,, waiting..
As to countries that have legalized drugs many of them are backing away,,, Columbia . .. the Netherlands . .. even the Chile experiment... because of the problems that come along with drug use

The police haters are out pushing drug use again

Old 02-16-2015, 07:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Distain, DPolo, Nepenthe,Brownsfan

Your bragging about what pot you have tried, and how much money you have in a home theater, and joking around like junior high @@##'s how do you expect anyone to take you seriously into having a mature conversation?
Where one would feel you have some adult mature grown up valid points.

Anytime someone comes on with a different viewpoint you shoot them down, put words in their mouths, make fun of them, stomp on them, then go about your childish jokes.
Which have none to to with the OP's thread title.

You are what I see has a the sad poster child for anyone who would like to make a legitimate argument and debate about this topic.

Well, given that a growing majority of Americans support legalization, it's hard to take YOU seriously when you're continuing to cling to the propaganda and misinformation surrounding cannabis, and also continue to support wasting our taxpayer's money on prohibition! Also, spare us the victim card, about posters making fun of you. When you continue to spread misinformation, support draconian laws such as prohibition, and criminalizing people for what they consume....well... I guess you're going to get a little bit of criticism thrown your way.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:46 AM

463 posts, read 320,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
The police haters are out pushing drug use again
Don't put words in my mouth, please.

When you are out doing your job and you nab a criminal, or prevent a crime, or put yourself in harms way to save a life, I bet that gives you one hell of a rush. I just can't imagine what that must feel like. I have nothing but respect and admiration for people like you. Thank you for your service to our society.

HOWEVER,

When you walk into a fully functional household for a pot bust because you got a tip, and then proceed to plunder and destroy that household, I don't know how you can sleep at night. I have a feeling you sleep fine, because you really do believe the destruction of that family was worth it for the greater good. Not only did you confiscate some more of that evil weed, but also the proceeds from the family's forfeitures will help continue the war against it. To you, this poor unlucky family is justified fodder for the machinery that is the war on drugs, and they deserved what they got anyway for having cannabis on the property.

But if your eyes were open enough, and you were not being blinded by your obvious bias, you would see that the household was functioning fine before you destroyed it. There was absolutely no behavior going on that justified its destruction. They were responsible adults with jobs, incomes, and healthy kids. But all that's left of it now are pieces of broken lives and children in foster homes. All because of a plant you don't even come close to understanding. It is wrong, it is immoral. If it were me, I would not be able to sleep after inflicting such damage.

You are on the wrong side of this one. If the plant and its effects were so bad as to justify such cruel and draconian actions, I would not be here to debate it with you. How can you have so much evidence piling up around you indicating that the punishment does not fit the crime, yet be so blind to it?

Nowhere in any of my posts have I pushed drug use!!!

You seem to think if I am anti-prohibition then I am for everyone using drugs! Not even close. Cannabis use certainly isn't for everyone. One of the biggest stumbling blocks in getting this stupid drug war out of the way is the typical stereotype of a teenager smoking a joint on a couch and it making him so lethargic that he makes nothing of his life. This can happen if you have someone who already has lethargic tendencies anyway, which maybe too many teenagers do, because in my experience cannabis acts as an amplifier, amplifying what is already there. A person like that has no business using cannabis, but that has to be taught to him or her, not forced upon them as a taboo that involves jail time.

Taboo = Attraction
Education = Making proper choices with your life

The best education comes from good parenting.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Really, you must be kidding. When you enter a responsible person's life and perform a pot bust, you are:

Putting someone in jail
Giving someone a criminal record
Wrecking their career
Ripping their kids away, making them victims and destroying the family
Stealing their house, car, and other assets under the protection of forfeiture laws (even without a conviction)
Preventing that person from ever voting again
Preventing that person from ever owning or even being around firearms
Turning someone with a healthy mindset into someone who can't escape being branded as a criminal

How do you call that anything except the destruction of someone's life and family?

It is especially grievous that you are doing it because of a plant that you really know little about. You believe you are an expert, but in fact you are brainwashed with all of the corruption-driven propaganda that has been put out by the government for the last 75 years.

Since you know I am a cannabis user, I assume if you walked into my life, did an assessment of it, and found that I was an intelligent, functional citizen who is paying taxes, employing other Americans, and in general am an asset to society, that you would recommend prison time?

Sadly, it's all about money. A lot of folks profit from prohibition and to repeal it would take away their easy payday, and put a huge dent in the Prison Industrial Complex. Gotta keep those prisons full ya know! Makes you wonder who the REAL criminals are in this case. And they call this a Christian nation? PFFTTT!!!! A Christian nation does not have the largest incarceration rate on the planet, nor would it throw people in the clink for something as trivial as cannabis use!

Old 02-16-2015, 07:57 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,521,478 times
How about we all come together for a laugh
Seen this video anyone?
Spiders were tested for the effects of various drugs and it shows the results and what it did to the spiders.

Spiders On Drugs: http://youtu.be/sHzdsFiBbFc

Okay, now back to our corners for another round....

Old 02-16-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Don't put words in my mouth, please.

When you are out doing your job and you nab a criminal, or prevent a crime, or put yourself in harms way to save a life, I bet that gives you one hell of a rush. I just can't imagine what that must feel like. I have nothing but respect and admiration for people like you. Thank you for your service to our society.

HOWEVER,

When you walk into a fully functional household for a pot bust because you got a tip, and then proceed to plunder and destroy that household, I don't know how you can sleep at night. I have a feeling you sleep fine, because you really do believe the destruction of that family was worth it for the greater good. Not only did you confiscate some more of that evil weed, but also the proceeds from the family's forfeitures will help continue the war against it. To you, this poor unlucky family is justified fodder for the machinery that is the war on drugs, and they deserved what they got anyway for having cannabis on the property.

But if your eyes were open enough, and you were not being blinded by your obvious bias, you would see that the household was functioning fine before you destroyed it. There was absolutely no behavior going on that justified its destruction. They were responsible adults with jobs, incomes, and healthy kids. But all that's left of it now are pieces of broken lives and children in foster homes. All because of a plant you don't even come close to understanding. It is wrong, it is immoral. If it were me, I would not be able to sleep after inflicting such damage.

You are on the wrong side of this one. If the plant and its effects were so bad as to justify such cruel and draconian actions, I would not be here to debate it with you. How can you have so much evidence piling up around you indicating that the punishment does not fit the crime, yet be so blind to it?

Nowhere in any of my posts have I pushed drug use!!!

You seem to think if I am anti-prohibition then I am for everyone using drugs! Not even close. Cannabis use certainly isn't for everyone. One of the biggest stumbling blocks in getting this stupid drug war out of the way is the typical stereotype of a teenager smoking a joint on a couch and it making him so lethargic that he makes nothing of his life. This can happen if you have someone who already has lethargic tendencies anyway, which maybe too many teenagers do, because in my experience cannabis acts as an amplifier, amplifying what is already there. A person like that has no business using cannabis, but that has to be taught to him or her, not forced upon them as a taboo that involves jail time.

Taboo = Attraction
Education = Making proper choices with your life

The best education comes from good parenting.

Thank you for echoing my sentiments!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events