U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 10:26 AM

103 posts, read 73,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I think if marijuana were made legal federally, a lot of problems would be solved. Or we could ban alcohol because of all the damage it causes.
Or we could just identify who all the pot-heads are, and incarcerate them in FEMA camps and give them all the (free) marijuana they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 AM

4,730 posts, read 10,965,709 times
Bear in mind that Hickenlooper struck it rich by being on the front lines of the microbrewery trend in the Denver area. Every person who decides to "kick back with a 6-pack" and a lil' bag o' weed at home, rather than go out for some "craft beers," represents lost revenue for his businesses. The man's no fool. He knows what side his bread is buttered on.

Old 02-19-2015, 10:42 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,668,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlasphemer View Post
Or we could just identify who all the pot-heads are, and incarcerate them in FEMA camps and give them all the (free) marijuana they want.

Considering prohibitionists are all about restricting one's individual liberties, under the guise of thinking they know what is best for the individual, I say we put them in the FEMA camps! It would be an authoritarian's paradise, with all of the restrictions that one could ask for!

Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 AM

17,454 posts, read 14,929,198 times
This was announced yesterday - hopefully we too can join Colorado and others in the common sense era before too long: Marijuana legal in New Jersey? This new coalition launches effort to legalize it, tax it | NJ.com

The coalition — which is made up of members like the ACLU-New Jersey, NAACP State Conference of New Jersey, and Law Enforcement Against Prohibition — argued that legalizing the drug would increase revenue to the state, lighten enforcement burdens on police departments and prosecutors, and streamline usage.

"It is time to take marijuana out of our parks, and off of our street corners, and put it behind the counter," ACLU Executive Director Udi Ofer said during the conference. "It is time to stop turning otherwise law-abiding citizens into criminals."
The group cited statistics claiming that New Jersey police officers make about 21,000 marijuana-related arrests each year, and argued that the time spent processing these arrests could be focused on other "more serious" crimes.

"As a municipal prosecutor, I have had to waste countless taxpayer dollars and hours of police officers' time to prosecute New Jerseyeans," said Jon-Henry Barr, the President of the N.J. Municipal Prosecutors Association. "The savings that will be realized will dwarf any drawbacks."

" Usage would be restricted, they said, to adults over 21. Using marijuana while driving would also remain illegal.... Dr. David Nathan, a psychiatrist and Rutgers professor, argued that "restricting the points of access to marijuana" would also work to eventually decrease the ease with which minors can acquire the drug.

Me again: Aside from the Prosecutors Association, ACLU and other groups who formed this coalition, note that there are several police/retired police involved. Who would know better than they that the "war on drugs" isn't working and that pot itself is not a problem? The following are from a list of official endorsers listed on the Coalition's website: https://www.njumr.org/ If you look at the website, you will see professionals of all types in the pics, not anyone who fits the "stoner" image the prohibitionists love to pin on anyone who is pro-legalization.

Dominick Bucci, Retired New Jersey State Police Lieutenant

William J. Caruso, Esq., Managing Director, Archer Public Affairs; Former Executive Director, New Jersey Assembly

Jack Cole, Retired New Jersey State Police Lieutenant and co-founder and board chair of Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.

Reverend James A. Dunkins, Senior Pastor, Shiloh Baptist Church of Port Norris and Vineland

Tim Datig, Retired NYPD Officer, Vermont Police Chief, and New Jersey State Resident

Read straight from the horse's mouth: http://www.leap.cc/ (Law Enforcement Against Prohibition)

So you can insist we don't know anything, but these people certainly do...if anyone is truly interested in learning rather than just putting their fingers in their ears and saying "I can't hear you", please check them out.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:25 AM

463 posts, read 246,174 times
I would like to point out the title of this thread is misleading. Hickenlooper did not say that, he was taken out of context. It is just dishonest msn reporting. See post #30, at the bottom of page 3 for the details.

Old 02-19-2015, 11:43 AM

13,727 posts, read 25,353,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Bear in mind that Hickenlooper struck it rich by being on the front lines of the microbrewery trend in the Denver area. Every person who decides to "kick back with a 6-pack" and a lil' bag o' weed at home, rather than go out for some "craft beers," represents lost revenue for his businesses. The man's no fool. He knows what side his bread is buttered on.
I'm a craft beer guy myself. They need not be mutually exclusive. It's not the craft brewers who have been pumping money into ONDCP propaganda all these years. That's more the style of Anheuser-Busch and other purveyors of mass-market peewater.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:45 PM

10,393 posts, read 4,172,950 times
More than 13 months after recreational pot sales first started in Colorado, residents of the state still support marijuana legalization by a definitive margin.

Quote:
With noticeable gender and age gaps, voters support legalized recreational marijuana 58 - 38 percent. Men support legalization 63 - 33 percent, with women in favor 53 - 44 percent. Voters 18 to 34 years old support it 82 - 16 percent. Support drops to 58 - 38 percent among voters 35 to 54 years old. Among voters over 55 years old, 46 percent support legalization, with 50 percent opposed.

While 53 percent of Colorado voters say they have tried marijuana, only 19 percent say they've tried it since it became legal last year.

"As for pot, they remain neither cold nor hot. Voters still think it was a good move to legalize recreational marijuana, but few admit to joining the ranks of new 'imbibers.'"

Old 02-25-2015, 03:59 PM

9,871 posts, read 6,332,661 times
Old Town FFX that is a great post and excerpt. Thank you.

Which is pretty much what I expected would happen...those who didn't use it before probably still won't...those who did before still will...and people just won't get locked up over it anymore. Good!

I wish they'd asked me my opinion though, I could have maybe helped bump that 35-54 age range, since I'm 36. *shrug* Makes me wonder where they get these statistics, actually... I've talked to people from all walks of life, from church going, clean as a whistle, conservative families all the way to the obviously partaking younger ones I know, and I have yet to find a single actual person here who will argue face to face that pot should be illegal. Over on our local forum, we've got one outspoken opponent that I know of, and his main argument is a legal one, that we are defying federal law and the supremacy clause and the federal gov. should smack us down, he says. Although he agrees that if the federal gov were to reschedule, he'd shut up about it. His objection is one of "the laws of the land" being broken. After looking into the details, I had to agree with him...legally...he is right. But I think that the federal government will deschedule before they'll come after states that have legalized. At some point the will of the people has got to count for something.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:03 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,668,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Old Town FFX that is a great post and excerpt. Thank you.

Which is pretty much what I expected would happen...those who didn't use it before probably still won't...those who did before still will...and people just won't get locked up over it anymore. Good!

I wish they'd asked me my opinion though, I could have maybe helped bump that 35-54 age range, since I'm 36. *shrug* Makes me wonder where they get these statistics, actually... I've talked to people from all walks of life, from church going, clean as a whistle, conservative families all the way to the obviously partaking younger ones I know, and I have yet to find a single actual person here who will argue face to face that pot should be illegal. Over on our local forum, we've got one outspoken opponent that I know of, and his main argument is a legal one, that we are defying federal law and the supremacy clause and the federal gov. should smack us down, he says. Although he agrees that if the federal gov were to reschedule, he'd shut up about it. His objection is one of "the laws of the land" being broken. After looking into the details, I had to agree with him...legally...he is right. But I think that the federal government will deschedule before they'll come after states that have legalized. At some point the will of the people has got to count for something.

I was hopeful of that too. Unfortunately after hearing what the congress critters in DC are pulling with threatening throwing DC's mayor in jail if she allows the law of legal cannabis to go into effect, I'm a bit more pessimistic about it! Also, there are several initiatives here in Ohio to try to get legalized cannabis in some form on the ballot to be put to vote, but our neocon AG has "conveniently" rejected them over things like not having enough signatures, or citing untrue language yada yada! Now keep in mind he and his neocon buddy our governor have openly stated their opposition of legal cannabis EVEN for medicinal purposes! Now let's look at something shall we! Cleveland has a booming health care industry, and with that comes profits to the pharmaceutical companies! Hmmmm? Put 2 and 2 together, and you do the math as to who is greasing the palms of these 2! Nevermind that the majority of Ohioans support some form of legalization!

Old 02-26-2015, 12:17 PM

9,871 posts, read 6,332,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I was hopeful of that too. Unfortunately after hearing what the congress critters in DC are pulling with threatening throwing DC's mayor in jail if she allows the law of legal cannabis to go into effect, I'm a bit more pessimistic about it! Also, there are several initiatives here in Ohio to try to get legalized cannabis in some form on the ballot to be put to vote, but our neocon AG has "conveniently" rejected them over things like not having enough signatures, or citing untrue language yada yada! Now keep in mind he and his neocon buddy our governor have openly stated their opposition of legal cannabis EVEN for medicinal purposes! Now let's look at something shall we! Cleveland has a booming health care industry, and with that comes profits to the pharmaceutical companies! Hmmmm? Put 2 and 2 together, and you do the math as to who is greasing the palms of these 2! Nevermind that the majority of Ohioans support some form of legalization!
Well it was always about money. But I think Pharma is now a bigger player than Hearst or Dupont ever were back in the day.

I really think that if the federal gov imprisons an elected official for enacting the will of her constituents, we are going to see some serious civil unrest going on. I mean we're inching closer and closer to them having to come right out in the open and say the obvious...

"You little people, and your little voices, are of no consequence to us up here! I will not sacrifice my 5th summer mansion on its own private island because you idiots want the 'freedom' {insert laugh track} to put a substance in your body in the privacy of your own home! How dare you even think that your needs matter, you are nothing but beasts of burden to support our lavish legacies with the fruits of your labor and consumption! Now please, people...go to Walmart, get your tax refunds, and buy a flatscreen television, before we are forced to mace you, taze you, and shoot your dogs! Drugs are bad, mmkay??"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or