Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2015, 02:55 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
A typical cop is a blue color civil servant who's police academy exams screen out, if he is to smart for the job.

An attack dog, serving his master, and that's when he is being professional...
Did you mean the words "whose" and "too"?...

I couldn't tell..... not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 03:07 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,844 times
Pro pot folks

Is it OK for your child to use?
Perhaps trim for you?.... or maybe for someone else?
Would you smoke with your child?
How about your pregnant wife?

Should you be allowed to be high at work... smoke at break time.. have a residual high...or more likely low after a bud heavy night

How about driving... high?... partially high?

What about when you commit a crime while using marijuana . .. is that a case or reason you might give for your behavior?

I ask because the above instances are ones I experience daily...

In your minds are the above behaviors ok?

Old 02-18-2015, 03:16 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,832,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Pro pot folks

Is it OK for your child to use alchol?
Perhaps pour for you?.... or maybe for someone else?
Would you drink with your child?

Should you be allowed to be drunk at work... drink at break time.. have a hangover...or more likely low after a drink heavy night

How about driving... drunk?... partially drunk?

What about when you commit a crime while using alcohol . .. is that a case or reason you might give for your behavior?

See how that works?

Nice try though, but society has already addressed these issues with alcohol. So I guess you're all for alcohol prohibition?

But wait! I'm sure you're going to say, "but we already have a big problem with booze, so why would we want to legalize another drug"

And to that we say, "because pot is so much better for the health of the individual and society as a whole."

Prohibition is a total failure. A very expensive failure. We don't need to be wasting billions with NOTHING to show for it. We need a new approach.

Last edited by Colorado^; 02-18-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 02-18-2015, 03:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Pro pot folks

Should you be allowed to be high at work... smoke at break time.. have a residual high...or more likely low after a bud heavy night

What about when you commit a crime while using marijuana . .. is that a case or reason you might give for your behavior?

I am no more pro pot than I am pro Nissan, in that I would not do it but I fail to see why others should be prevented from doing so.

As for your questions;

-Is it OK for your child to use? - no
-Perhaps trim for you?.... or maybe for someone else? - Trim? Unfamiliar with the term.
-Would you smoke with your child? - With, as in we both share a joint? No. With as in the child is around me? I would not just because of the smoke, not because of it being dope, same as I would with a cigar.
-How about your pregnant wife? - No, but that is no different than with cigarettes.
-Should you be allowed to be high at work... smoke at break time.. have a residual high...or more likely low after a bud heavy night - No, but a person should not be drunk at work nor under the influence of any drugs, legal or not, that can cause issues at the job.
-How about driving... high?... partially high? - No, but a person should not drive drunk, nor should a person drive when under the influence of any drug, legal or not, if it will impact their driving abilities.
-What about when you commit a crime while using marijuana . .. is that a case or reason you might give for your behavior? - Sure, it could impact it, so does alcohol, legal drugs, wanting new shoes, wanting cigars, etc. There are numerous factors why a person commits a crime, none of them are an excuse though.
-I ask because the above instances are ones I experience daily... - Not sure what this has to do with anything, you conduct drug tests on people? Has it being illegal somehow negated all of this? How will legalizing do anything other than decriminalize if people were smoking already?
-In your minds are the above behaviors ok? - No, but that has nothing to do with dope, those behaviors are not acceptable with alcohol and legal prescription drugs as well.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:29 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Pro pot folks

No

Huh?

If my child was over 21, I would have no say either way.

Nope, and no one has advocated that, at all.

Nope. not at all.
What you do off the clock isn't my business.

No.

It's marijuana, get real. How about the zombie cases of folks who were on synthetic marijuana?

I think what you are confusing here, no one is saying marijuana is the best and a magical cure all for everyone, NO ONE is saying that. What IS being said is: It's less harmful than other substances that are currently legal and the fight to keep it illegal is a waste of time, energy and resources.

How about a more common sense, down to earth, realistic approach to it? Is that so bad?

Old 02-18-2015, 03:46 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Quote:
Pro pot folks

I have 2 teenage sons. They know I want and expect them to be sober. They know the reasons I'd rather they didn't use mind altering anything. They also know the realities (good and bad) about weed, because we talk. A lot. I'd much rather they smoked pot than used any other mind altering substance except for caffiene. Pot = better than alcohol or tobacco. Better yet, do none of the above. And that's workin' out pretty well for us.
What, trim buds? If one of my boys got a summer job here in CO doing that for some extra cash I wouldn't have a problem any more than if they were de-tasselling corn in Iowa. Which my husband used to do as a teenager in the summer. They're not getting high from looking at it.
No, because I don't smoke. My Mom smoked with me, though. And my husband might consider it once the boys are adults, if they have chosen to do it.
It would be the wife's decision whether to smoke. I know a pregnant lady who did and she said that the pregnancy went smoother and the child was born healthier than the two where she was sober. I, however, was clean and sober, eating healthy and everything during my 2 pregnancies. It was my choice to make. Not my husband's.

No more than you should be drunk at work, drunk on break time, have a residual alcohol buzz, or come in with a hangover (or call in because of one.) Funny how many people I know who can decide to only partake responsibly when the time is right...

That's what designated drivers are for. Oh, and do you really think that this is happening more often here in CO now that it's legal? People did it before and do it now. Just like driving drunk, they shouldn't though. Unlike drinking, they will be more likely to KNOW that they shouldn't drive, as opposed to the belligerent, indestructable drunk dude...paranoia might even keep them from doing so.

A person commits a crime while drunk, is it excused? NO. Inebriation is never a valid defense.

Can I ask, who is harder to handle, as a cop...a drunk person or a stoned person? Who is more a threat of physical violence? If you don't think drunks are more dangerous than stoners, I'm gonna call shenanigans and question whether you are actually even a cop at all, or just pretending to be one. Your supposed experience should speak for itself.

In your mind, is locking up a perfectly productive member of society who manages his habit as responsibly as the guy who has a few beers on Superbowl Sunday with his pals or at the bar on a Friday night (with a DD) endangers no one, provides for his family and is productive to society...is it OK to lock him up, take everything including the roof from over his kids' heads, forcing the family to go on welfare, the kids to be raised with no father, and destroying his chance of ever having a normal life again? Is that ok? Is it ok that he might just learn enough about real criminal activity while in prison surrounded by actual criminals that when he gets out and can't get a job, he might turn to other illicit behavior to make ends meet? Is it ok to you that in the "land of the free" a higher percentage of our population is in jail than in any other nation on the face of the earth, and do you think that there is EVER any hope of "winning" (police style) the "War on Drugs?"
Answers to your questions in red.

And before Atalanta has a heart attack, I have known a number of police officers that I liked and respected. That doesn't mean that a man in a blue uniform can do anything he wants and never be questioned. You're HUMAN, friend, and like all people, myself and everyone else here included, sometimes you're gonna be wrong.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:57 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,273,927 times
Quote:
Happily child-free. I would not, however, fly off the handle or over-react. I would educate. My father was fine with me doing a modicum of experimentation. Just wanted me to know how to be safe.
Quote:
Discouraged just like many many things during pregnancy (not that I'll ever have a pregnant wife).
Quote:
Should you be allowed to be high at work
Um, no. Not in my line of work. Same as many substances. People are allowed to get really hopped up on caffeine however. I've seen some jittery, spazzing, over-stimulated folks in my time.
Quote:
or more likely low after a bud heavy night
I would only ever use cannabis when I don't have any responsibilities the next day. That's just me. I use it so infrequently and in such heavy doses when I do that I have zero tolerance and it's an experience. No reason for me to tell anyone else how to run their life. I have co-workers who smoke daily (at home). So?
Quote:
A bit like alcohol. I think driving after a small amount of alcohol is usually just fine. I personally will never drive because of my usage pattern as mentioned above.
Quote:
Totally irrelevant. I don't hurt anyone else. I'm not a criminal.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,457 times
Anti pot folks

Would you call the cops on your child if you found them with pot?

Would you call the cops on your parents or other family members with pot?

Would you call the cops on your friends with pot?

No one is going to involve the police, or rat on their friends or family over pot, and if you would, then you have serious issues. If you can't rat on your friends and family, then others shouldn't be going to jail either.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:13 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,644,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
Anti pot folks

Would you call the cops on your child if you found them with pot?

Would you call the cops on your parents or other family members with pot?

Would you call the cops on your friends with pot?

No one is going to involve the police, or rat on their friends or family over pot, and if you would, then you have serious issues. If you can't rat on your friends and family, then others shouldn't be going to jail either.
I don't even see it as a matter of "ratting" on people, just fear of what the cops would DO to them these days. I don't need my kid to be tazered or shot, thankyouverymuch.

Heck, if someone broke into my house, we'd call the police after we neutralized the intruder and had him hogtied on the lawn. "Can we come in and ask you a few questions, ma'am?" Nope. We can talk on the porch. My neighbors will be watching.

If there were not enough...just enough...cops out there who see all civilians as "the enemy," then I would not have this attitude. I live too close to Albuquerque. I know better.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:36 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,159,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
Good! That means you must not be for continuing with prohibition. Because with prohibition, buying it, getting it home, and consuming it at home all puts one in peril.

I guess I misunderstood your previous posts, because you were coming across as someone who believes the current laws should stand.

Once sane laws are in place, and as long as the traffic stops include an impairment test, not just some kind of blow or blood test, then "the sky won't fall, and greats cracks will not open up in the Earth."

Edit to add: I am a libertarian too!
The current laws are ridiculous. The feds have no constitutional right to regulate drugs. I doubt that most state constitutions authorize state govts to do so, either.

My personal view is this: I have no problem with adults who consume MJ in their homes, and I wouldn't care if they grew it at home. I am only concerned about the public endangerment that comes from performing certain activities while impaired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events