U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 01:35 PM

13,471 posts, read 15,090,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I blame Pinterest. I'm ready to call CPS on myself after an hour on there looking at school lunch ideas.
LOL

If I'd told my mom I wanted my carrots to look like rabbits...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 01:36 PM

8,546 posts, read 5,281,395 times
Quote:
I blame Pinterest. I'm ready to call CPS on myself after an hour on there looking at school lunch ideas.
I know what you mean.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Yup.

4*67 would be 268, many fun-sized candy bars are more caloric than a Hershey's bar is which is why I called it 300. Another 100-200 calories for the Ritz crackers. I'm glad the math is agreeable to you.
She didn't eat four though. She ate one. And we know that she brought 3 small pieces of chocolate, not four and we don't even know if they were as big as a fun size candy bar. So the math stands at 167 calories for the marshmallows and chocolate as a good estimate.

Ritz crackers are comparable to bread on a sandwich. I don't see the big deal.

What did you or do you pack your kids for lunch? Or can you at least give an example of some lunch ideas that you would pack?

Old 01-25-2015, 01:45 PM

13,471 posts, read 15,090,033 times
True. The four candy bars might have been full-sized snicker bars which would have been about 725 calories.
Ritz crackers have 450% as much fat, infinitely more saturated fat, and no micronutrients to speak of. Bread isn't exactly that great for you, especially if what you need is nutrients and not just calories since 2/3rds of your lunch consists of nothing but candy and junk food. That doesn't mean substituting a not particularly healthy food for an even less healthy one, particularly when the diet is already so poor, is a good idea. Switching Ritz crackers for bread isn't horrible in isolation though. Likewise, taking the crackers out of the Lunchables and replacing them with bread wouldn't make it healthy. A bread/cracker Lunchable with four chocolate bars and a bag of marshmallows is going to be a terrible lunch regardless of whether it's bread or crackers.

Last edited by Malloric; 01-25-2015 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-25-2015, 01:51 PM

21,569 posts, read 26,201,545 times
Quote:
No, I'm pretty sure it has more to do with the four candy bars, bag of marshmallows, and Ritz crackers.
~300 calories of candy bars (assuming fun-sized)
~100 calories of marshmallows
~100-200 calories of Ritz rackers
~100 calories of ham
~50 calories of low fat cheese.
pickle is negligible.

When your kid's lunch consists of 400 calories of candy, 100-200 calories of junk food, and 150 calories of food, most people are going to say that's not a very balanced diet. You might disagree and say that, to you, does sound like a balanced diet that you'd feed your kid. Ham and pickles are really only a concern because of the extreme sodium content. In isolation it's not that bad. If it's typical, it is problematic.

Many parents are also horrible nutritionists. As I said, just pack the kid a Lunchable, the four candy bars, and a bag of marshmallows as that's basically what that lunch was. I know when I was a kid I really wanted Lunchables. Why? Because many of the parents sent their kids to school with them. You know how many times I got Lunchables? Never. My parents parented rather than letting me pack a lunch that consisted of 60-70% candy and junk food.

As I said, enough parents are horrible nutritionists and/or just don't care that it's probably not really that out of the ordinary.
Since we do not know the quantities of anything except the ham, there is no way to calculate the caloric content of the meal.

Why do you continue to say the child ate four candy bars? Of the three pieces of chocolate, she ate one.

Four marshmallows is 72 calories, by the label on the ancient bag of almost petrified puffs at my house.

Five Ritz crackers is 80 calories.

The dad probably knows more about nutrition than the average bear. Perhaps he feels fighting over food choices is not a battle he wants to engage in.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:53 PM

8,657 posts, read 4,806,374 times
@Malloric and MissTerri: Have you ever seen muffin tin meals? That's about as elaborate as I get

Old 01-25-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
True. The four candy bars might have been full-sized snicker bars which would have been about 725 calories.
Ritz crackers have 450% as much fat, infinitely more saturated fat, and no micronutrients to speak of. Bread isn't exactly that great for you, especially if what you need is nutrients and not just calories since 2/3rds of your lunch consists of nothing but candy and junk food. That doesn't mean substituting a not particularly healthy food for an even less healthy one, particularly when the diet is already so poor, is a good idea. Switching Ritz crackers for bread isn't horrible in isolation though. Likewise, taking the crackers out of the Lunchables and replacing them with bread wouldn't make it healthy. A bread/cracker Lunchable with four chocolate bars and a bag of marshmallows is going to be a terrible lunch regardless of whether it's bread or crackers.
In an updated article it was clarified that the girl had three small pieces of chocolate and she ate one.

Bread might not be the healthiest but sandwiches are pretty common in packed lunches and I don't see a huge difference between the crackers and bread.

What do you or would you pack for a kid's lunch?

Old 01-25-2015, 02:15 PM

436 posts, read 307,495 times
And further, what would these people feed their kids for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner? Taking one meal a day isn't a complete picture. When I was a kid, I ate school lunch every day - early 90's school lunches, which didn't focus on nutrition - and almost every day I had snack at the end of it too (Italian ice, popcorn, whatever they were serving in the snack line). Then I went home and ate fresh food my mom cooked from scratch. Except for some nights when she totally didn't feel like cooking, and gave me Hi-C and a TV dinner. That happened maybe once a month. The rest of the time it was very nutritious. But if you had only looked at my school lunches, there probably would be a lot of judgment.

Old 01-25-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenapple View Post
And further, what would these people feed their kids for breakfast, lunch, AND dinner? Taking one meal a day isn't a complete picture. When I was a kid, I ate school lunch every day - early 90's school lunches, which didn't focus on nutrition - and almost every day I had snack at the end of it too (Italian ice, popcorn, whatever they were serving in the snack line). Then I went home and ate fresh food my mom cooked from scratch. Except for some nights when she totally didn't feel like cooking, and gave me Hi-C and a TV dinner. That happened maybe once a month. The rest of the time it was very nutritious. But if you had only looked at my school lunches, there probably would be a lot of judgment.
Agreed!

Old 01-25-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
@Malloric and MissTerri: Have you ever seen muffin tin meals? That's about as elaborate as I get

That better be homemade organic vanilla yogurt and freshly ground peanuts on that sandwich! Wait a minute! Is that white bread?????? And bananas? A sugary fruit? Someone call CPS on this lady!!!!

And yes, seeing those perfectly prepared lunches does make me feel pretty inadequate for haphazardly throwing mine into a lunch bag with one eye open in the morning, before coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or