U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 04:28 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,273,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Seriously?.....You think 4 chocolate bars, marshmallows, crackers and a pickle is a good balanced meal?
I'll bet the crackers were graham an she was making some s'mores, this would be her treat much like the 2 pack of cupcakes that were common when I was a kid. . What part of the article you didn't read is the girl had ham and cheese, the irony here is the cafeteria worker didn't see it either. No bread because they apparently don't eat a lot of bread.

In any event unless the kid is malnourished it's nobody's business but the parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 04:31 AM

37,072 posts, read 38,273,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
As per the article, he allows his "independent" child to pack her own lunch.
No she as allowed to pick from a menu provided by the parents.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:41 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,149,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Are you kidding me? She takes 4 chocolate bars to school, eats one and trades or sells the other three, I bet. I don't know about the black market for marshmallows in elementary school...
I posted this previously, but there was a "black market" for sandwich rolls in a local high school. When the school replaced their white rolls with whole wheat, there was an enterprising kid who would stop at Wal-Mart on his way to school, pick up several packages of cheap, enriched white hamburger buns, and sell them in the cafteria for 50 cents each to kids (and teachers) who would proceed to pitch their whole wheat bun in the trash.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:46 AM

6,124 posts, read 5,149,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I would use my lunch money mom gave me to buy candy in the morning(blow-pops and noworlaters and gum) on the way to the bus.
At school it would all be sold before lunchtime came, making me a profit enough to go with a senior with a car and eat off campus and get a hamburger at Sonic.
My typical school lunch in high school: Dexatrim (over-the-counter diet pill), cigarettes and a diet cola.

My mother and well meaning aunt: "You have to eat!!!" No, I didn't.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:11 AM

2,778 posts, read 1,343,691 times
Quote:
What the cafeteria worker and the substitute missed, however, was that the 8-year-old also had four pieces of ham and a low fat string cheese rather than a sandwich, since "we don't eat a lot of bread," said Puckett, who is double board certified in osteopathic family medicine and obesity medicine.
Oh wow, some low-fat cheese and ham make it so much better.
WTF is this guy thinking?

Old 01-24-2015, 06:30 AM

16,744 posts, read 9,472,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Hey all eight year olds deserve the right of freedom of choice in their diet; after all, this board certified Obesity treating physician thinks so. Moron of the first order.

Processed ham slices and processed cheese strings .......and that's the wholesome part?

No wonder there's an obesity problem with guys like this supposed professional abdicating his responsibility as a parent and acceding that to an 8 year old to make her own choices.

I was brought up in the fifties and no way would chocolate bars (multiples yet) or marshmallows have made it into my lunch sack and there both available in our home from time to time.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:32 AM

211 posts, read 130,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Seriously?.....You think 4 chocolate bars, marshmallows, crackers and a pickle is a good balanced meal?
Obviously didn't read the article

Quote:
Its his child and as a Doctor HE knows better than ANYONE ELSE what she wants and needs to eat.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:49 AM

6,400 posts, read 6,499,594 times
Quote:
Good question. Seems to me the child needs better guidelines and supervision in packing her lunch.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 AM

2,856 posts, read 1,566,110 times
That dad has extremely poor parenting skills. A good parent wouldn't allow his 2nd grade child to make bad choices, then bemoan the fact that she does.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:51 AM

11,030 posts, read 6,212,441 times
This normal weight school child did not, in fact, have the lunch outlined in the teacher's note. The criticism of the parents, one of which was a doctor, was clearly a step out of bounds by the teacher. Not only did the substitute teacher base her assessment of the lunch on hearsay, not her personal observation, it was based on incorrect information and she had no idea what the child normally brought for lunch. Clearly a busy body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or