U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 AM

11,389 posts, read 6,435,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post

Though none of this does anything but show a dad that knows nothing of nutrition and his "calling out" of the teacher is rather... well... childish...
But how do you know he knows nothing about nutrition? Perhaps he knows, but simply doesn't care if his child eats the most scientifically healthy meals? Perhaps his child is completely healthy despite eating candy bars? I'm slender, play competitive basketball/lift weights/bicycle, eat tons of junk food, have a perfectly healthy BMI and a low resting heartbeat...am I unhealthy? Some people simply aren't drastically affected by eating some junk food.

If everything a parent does is scrutinized this heavily, I can see why so many would turn to homeschooling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 AM

26,163 posts, read 14,467,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv
By the way, I corrected the spelling and grammar in your post. The corrections are in red.

You're welcome.
Danke!!

Are you really a teacher buddy?? -- Thats awesome if so!!

Old 01-26-2015, 09:17 AM

11,038 posts, read 6,219,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Too funny....You are calling this child's teacher a busy body. I call it doing her job. I hope more teachers take an interest in the children they are in charge of...
What I question is why this Dr made this into such a big deal, seriously.........Most parents would have signed the note.....explained the lunch if they felt the need too..And went on about their day.
A pattern of providing non-nutritious lunches for this child by this family would warrant a note, perhaps, however one lunch, and one described incorrectly by the note, does not a pattern make. This "note" by this teacher was another representation of overreach by schools into parental decision making, in my opinion.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:52 AM

21,501 posts, read 26,116,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Four candy bars and marshmallows? I'd allow maybe one candy bar for dessert. Ham and string cheese. Well, you know, to each their own. But really it sounds like there is a little TOO much permissiveness going on. And perhaps again MAYBE there was a motive behind this. "There you overreaching school authorities my child will eat what the hell she pleases. In your face." But again, there is no law against your child bringing that stuff to school.
No, three small pieces of chocolate, one of which the child ate at lunch, one shared with her brother, and one for a friend. Sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
A pattern of providing non-nutritious lunches for this child by this family would warrant a note, perhaps, however one lunch, and one described incorrectly by the note, does not a pattern make. This "note" by this teacher was another representation of overreach by schools into parental decision making, in my opinion.
Exactly. Photos show happy kids who are not obese.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:45 PM

8,542 posts, read 5,266,553 times
I packed a bagel with cream cheese, an orange, a couple of strawberries and a tiny handful of dark chocolate chips in my kid's lunch today. I wonder if I'll get a note?

Old 01-26-2015, 03:09 PM

199 posts, read 183,912 times
While i don't think it was the teachers duty to meadow in the kids life and in her lunch, At the same-time i can't help but to agree and say she has a point. I mean this is a second grader whom's breakfast consists of mostly candy/sweets and a pickle, with the rapid growth in childhood obesity and diabetes i think it was right of her to feel concerned. I don't understand how she's getting so much hate for simply reminding the parents of their job, couldn't they just help her pack her lunch maybe throw in some baby carrots & ranch/celery & peanut butter or fun healthy meals.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:17 PM

6,121 posts, read 3,322,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I packed a bagel with cream cheese, an orange, a couple of strawberries and a tiny handful of dark chocolate chips in my kid's lunch today. I wonder if I'll get a note?
It depends on the fat content of the cream cheese - low fat, I hope.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:50 PM

8,542 posts, read 5,266,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It depends on the fat content of the cream cheese - low fat, I hope.
Nope.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:06 PM

9,018 posts, read 7,952,009 times
^^^^ You go girl, lol

As parents we can pack whatever the Hell we want for our kids......
Parents are so complacent to how much of their rights they give up, to teachers.
That's never been me.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:03 PM

23,916 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
She's not a nutritionist. If she felt the child's health was in danger she can refer her to the school nurse...who can then bring in a doctor.
I agree. I think sending the note home was idiotic. Is the child unhealthy? Is she suffering? I don't see any mention of that. Teacher clearly has lost focus. If she thinks the kid could benefit from nutritional information, then sit her down and have a talk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or