U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2015, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
20,965 posts, read 22,567,730 times
Reputation: 32961

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Some people don't care if it's bad publicity as long as it's free publicity. Being in the public eye
for these types is all that matters even to the point of exposing your family (child).
Yes but this is getting OT here. We don't know that the dad was feeling smug about getting attention. It's only one person's observation and who cares if he was?

It's the teacher's behavior we are trying to focus on. How the dad reacted isn't all that important, at least to me it isn't. I think it's the way the teacher handled the situation which really wasn't a situation in the first place that set the stage for all this foolishness to begin with.

If she was concerned, she should have expressed herself in a more polite and concerned fashion. She didn't need to jump on the dad with her accusations. She should have gotten more of the story. She isn't a social worker or a CFS representative. She overstepped not because she wrote the note but because the way she worded the note.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2015, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in America
12,305 posts, read 10,126,830 times
Reputation: 20466
I'd just be happy she's eating lunch! And what the heck does a substitute teacher know about anything? Why a cafeteria worker ratted out the daughter makes no sense. Clearly, they didn't see her entire lunch. If the kid really wanted to eat chocolate bars one day a year, what's the problem? I'm not her parent so it's not my problem. She's got parents. It's their problem. Why should my nose be stuck in this? The substitute teacher should spend her time finding a permanent job instead of sending home notes about things she knows nothing about and let her parents parent her. That's their job. Not hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 11:02 AM
 
4,878 posts, read 4,596,364 times
Reputation: 7271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yes but this is getting OT here. We don't know that the dad was feeling smug about getting attention. It's only one person's observation and who cares if he was?

It's the teacher's behavior we are trying to focus on. How the dad reacted isn't all that important, at least to me it isn't. I think it's the way the teacher handled the situation which really wasn't a situation in the first place that set the stage for all this foolishness to begin with.

If she was concerned, she should have expressed herself in a more polite and concerned fashion. She didn't need to jump on the dad with her accusations. She should have gotten more of the story. She isn't a social worker or a CFS representative. She overstepped not because she wrote the note but because the way she worded the note.
The teacher was a substitute, so again - what was the school's policy?
Also, the father was upset but I think he could have handled this differently instead of going public
(including his daughter on tv and social media). I do think that dad's reaction is important because
his daughter will be experiencing many unpleasant situations growing up and will he react to each one
the same way? He could have contacted the principal to express his objections and concerns about
the implications of the letter, the sub and the cafeteria employee but he didn't, he went viral. Now this video, news broadcast and letter is out there forever.
I know I wouldn't want to expose my children at such a young age to millions of viewers because
I was upset about a school's note.
And if you are referring to "one person's observation" which obviously you mean me, I don't care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Colorado
9,960 posts, read 6,366,307 times
Reputation: 17893
I laugh at all the people who think they are nutritional experts.

The experts aren't even experts.

I've watched so many overweight people, all my life, desperately try with diet (but not exercise) to lose weight. Everything from pills, to special shakes, vegetarianism, cutting sugar, cutting carbs, cutting dairy, you name it.

Eggs are bad! No, they're good! Low fat...wait...no, there is good fat and bad fat! Ban trans fats! Meat is murder, and grains are GMO, oh no!

"It's the end of the world, as we know it...it's thee end of the world, as we know it...and I feel finnne..."


I've been observing and discussing the eating habits of thin people and heavy people for years. I've been collecting information on what people are doing. Because my own eating habits are not only controversial, they are liable to seemingly shock and enrage people...often people I don't even know who have no vested interest in my health whatsoever. Likewise my policies with my kids...which are "You will try one bite of this. If you don't like it that's fine. Make yourself something else, because I'm not your short order cook." I was forced by school personnel and my father to sit at tables for hours staring at cooling and congealing food that I was never in a million years going to eat. I am NOT interested in associating food with power struggles, drama, and punishment in my house. Nope. I'm picky. One of my sons is picky. Neither of us have what most people think of as a "healthy" diet. Neither of us is overweight, both of us are healthy. In fact I'm an anomaly because all of the women in my family gained a lot of weight by their 30's...and I remain slim. I think my habits are just fine.

The difference? Mainly that I don't overeat. All of those women were raised in a "clean your plate" lifestyle that focused on humongous dinners, often served with zero physical activity to follow before bed. Great big home cooked meals. I'm sorry but if you stuff yourself to pain every night and then sit on it and then sleep on it, you're gonna get fatter than the gal who has a bowl of (horrors! GMO sugars and grainz omg!) cereal instead, because she was craving it, and nothing more. I eat more during the day, I eat many small snacky meals, and I try to stay active.

As for my kids, they are teenagers. I'm not micromanaging their diets. I want them to try things, but I won't try and force them to like those things. In just a few years they'll be on their own and they're going to have to know how to manage themselves. I've been loosening the reins and giving them more independence for years, and ya know...they are great kids. Really.

Now I'm not saying that other people who do differently are worse parents than I am. I'm saying that sometimes we should have respect for the fact that others might just be able to do things differently and the outcome might be alright, without taking it as a "I'm right and you're wrong" opportunity to get up on our highest of horses. I've known people on strict diets who were healthy and who were not. I've known junk food junkies that were fat or diabetic or both....and also those who weren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Wonderland
41,328 posts, read 33,027,735 times
Reputation: 57587
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Seriously?.....You think 4 chocolate bars, marshmallows, crackers and a pickle is a good balanced meal?


Kudos to the dad for not signing the note!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Where my bills arrive
7,213 posts, read 8,833,269 times
Reputation: 6985
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Kudos to the dad for not signing the note!
fine don't sign but posting it on social media.......that's a great big Waaaa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2015, 07:40 PM
 
8,547 posts, read 5,309,429 times
Reputation: 9120
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
fine don't sign but posting it on social media.......that's a great big Waaaa!

People post all kinds of s*** on social media. At least this guy posted something interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 05:23 AM
 
10,471 posts, read 7,573,331 times
Reputation: 18497
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
The teachers and other school employees obviously do... God forbid... Many are applying their political views to teachers who were simply concerned about one of their students being properly nourished.
Do they send notes home to the parents of obese children? Was the child unhealthy? Is it any of your dang business what I allow my child to eat as long as our doctor is okay with the health of my family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 11:53 AM
 
26,163 posts, read 14,560,505 times
Reputation: 17235
A good reply!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2015, 01:33 PM
 
Location: West Hollywood
3,196 posts, read 2,370,875 times
Reputation: 5262
This father is a ridiculous human being. He says he's a doctor so his daughter's diet is fine, but he lets her pick what she eats, including candy bars and marshmallows. Is his second-grade daughter also a doctor? Did he get his doctorate by letting his teachers do his work for him?
He's encouraging obesity and bad habits that his daughter will carry with her for the rest of her life. It's child abuse, plain and simple. Rednecks are drawing a line in the sand over their kids' diets and it's absurd. The outrage among bumpkins over Michelle Obama encouraging kids to eat healthy foods and exercise more was cartoonish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top