U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 01:38 PM

21,587 posts, read 26,255,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
This father is a ridiculous human being. He says he's a doctor so his daughter's diet is fine, but he lets her pick what she eats, including candy bars and marshmallows. Is his second-grade daughter also a doctor? Did he get his doctorate by letting his teachers do his work for him?
He's encouraging obesity and bad habits that his daughter will carry with her for the rest of her life. It's child abuse, plain and simple. Rednecks are drawing a line in the sand over their kids' diets and it's absurd. The outrage among bumpkins over Michelle Obama encouraging kids to eat healthy foods and exercise more was cartoonish.
None of this child's family members are fat.

She ate one small piece of chocolate with her lunch.

This one meal cannot be assumed to be representative of her entire diet.

The new school diets are silly. Putting food on a child's tray that gets thrown away is egregious waste that accomplishes nothing, and some older kids, especially athletes, have to buy extra food because their "ration" is inadequate.

The school lunch changes were very poorly thought out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 01:54 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,363,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
None of this child's family members are fat.
First of all, how would you even know that? Second, so what? We're talking about a young child and her wellbeing, not her entire family.

Quote:
She ate one small piece of chocolate with her lunch.
She had 4 candy bars and a bag of marshmellows, so cut the crap.

Quote:
This one meal cannot be assumed to be representative of her entire diet.
Her father freely admits that she packs her own lunch and that he provides her with all the junk food she wants for her lunch.

Quote:
The new school diets are silly. Putting food on a child's tray that gets thrown away is egregious waste that accomplishes nothing, and some older kids, especially athletes, have to buy extra food because their "ration" is inadequate.

What does that have to do with anything? The father could pack her a healthy, balanced lunch instead of letting her gorge on junk food.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:11 PM

26,163 posts, read 14,523,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010
We can thank the govt for that Suzy!!

They are trying to get schools to basically offer CRAP for lunch..... (Obama lunch program,etc)

Old 01-29-2015, 02:22 PM

3,196 posts, read 2,363,761 times
There is no Obama Lunch Program. I'm sorry to burst your insanity bubble, but Obama has not legislated school lunches.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:32 PM

21,587 posts, read 26,255,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
First of all, how would you even know that? Second, so what? We're talking about a young child and her wellbeing, not her entire family.
http://www.mommypage.com/wp-content/...ok-300x250.png

Quote:
She had 4 candy bars and a bag of marshmellows, so cut the crap.
She had three small pieces of chocolate, not four candy bars, according to the dad. She ate one, gave one to her brother, and gave one to a friend. The "four candy bars" was from the substitute teacher who wrote the note but never saw the lunch.

Quote:
Her father freely admits that she packs her own lunch and that he provides her with all the junk food she wants for her lunch.
Yes, she gets to choose what she puts in her lunch. Yes, this particular lunch was not the epitome of ideal nutrition. However, you need to provide a source for "all the junk food she wants for her lunch".

Quote:
What does that have to do with anything? The father could pack her a healthy, balanced lunch instead of letting her gorge on junk food.
There is no evidence that she "gorged on junk food." There was ham and cheese in her lunch that she ate first.

The rest of her diet is relevant. You are assuming it is junk food. We have no evidence of that.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:40 PM

86,093 posts, read 70,054,393 times
I'd be arrested today if my son were in grade school.
I used to pack candy bars and such for him along with his lunch.
And on Friday I gave him $.50 to buy a SODA from the soda machine right in the cafeteria (middle school).

If you are truly worried about obesity then tackle the problem head on.
Over 60% of hispanics are obese/overweight. This stems from a myth that fat children are healthier.
With a growing demographic of Hispanic people we will most certainly have a growing obesity problem.

Leave the skinny people alone.

http://www.asu.edu/courses/css335/whyconcern.htm
Latinos should be concerned with this epidemic for the reason that, while overweight and obesity are prevalent in the US., almost 55% of the population is obese.

The Hispanic population ranks second among the highest rates. Over 60% of all Hispanic populations are either overweight or obese. Of the 60% that are overweight, more than half, 52%, are obese. Children 15 and younger rank highest among all obese groups; this stems from the myth that the thicker a child is healthier.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:02 PM

11,442 posts, read 6,496,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'd be arrested today if my son were in grade school.
I used to pack candy bars and such for him along with his lunch.
And on Friday I gave him $.50 to buy a SODA from the soda machine right in the cafeteria (middle school).
When I was in school not too long ago, we had soda machines and Papa Johns pizza offered at lunch everyday. Virtually everyone bought sodas everyday. Did I become obese? Heck no, my parents encouraged us to play sports so I was insanely active and struggled to gain 2 or 3 pounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or