U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:27 AM

6,219 posts, read 7,395,658 times

Advertisements

When I was a much younger Mom, I worked at the school during lunch hour. No, I wasn't the lady in the hairnet who dished out the less-than-appetizing hot lunch - I and two other moms patrolled the cafeteria to help keep order and to encourage the children to "eat your lunch so you can play in the school yard". Some kids ate everything on their trays and "helped" classmates eat some of theirs. Some kids ate the lunch they brought from home and others ate only the cupcake or candy and threw the rest of the lunch away.

But no matter, the cafeteria workers and the teachers should check the contents of the garbage cans and they'll see that there are many children who aren't getting "proper" lunches. Just because a parent packs it doesn't mean the kid is eating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 09:28 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,390,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I would send a note back to the teacher requesting that he (or she) report to my home every school day at 0630 to supervise the child packing her lunch, so that it can be assured to meet the requirements of the teacher.
IMO the teacher was out of line. NO teacher has the right nor the obligation to tell parents how to raise their child.
The teachers and the school district have the right to to parents how to dress their children, how their hair must be kept, how to behave, what kind of vaccinations and other medical situation must be accounted for, or even what kinds of food their child can or not not bring while their children are on school property and in the custody of the school faculty based on what ever guidelines the school has enforced. No one is forcing the dad or other parents to have their child go to a free public school. If you do not like the rules, then they have the option NOT to send their children there. Home schooling, private schooling, or moving to a new district would all be an option.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:34 AM

9,018 posts, read 7,946,526 times
I got so tired of the bullies I had for teachers/principals....
By the time I hit jr. high I was pretty much ready to take any & all of them on....
I literally would walk to school w/ this booming out of my portable radio-
Even as I was in line.....This song was blaring
The other rebels loved it

We need more parents like that guy to stop allowing their kids to be harassed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAe_w9a_IN8

Old 01-24-2015, 09:35 AM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Good for the father

It's been a lifelong mission for me to expose teachers for the bullies they can be.
This idiot teacher has no business judging a kids lunch......

Hell if the kid was eating a dozen damned cookies for lunch-

You best believe the teacher should keep his or her mouth shut.
Plus, if the kids not overweight, who cares! Be more worried about them rodents getting some exercise.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:42 AM

37,069 posts, read 38,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
Maybe she should. The child would be better off.
And you're basing that on what? You're making a mountain out of mole hill. The lunch included slices of ham, low fat cheese, a pickle and the goodies. They state 4 chocolate bars but I'd be willing to bet they were the mini ones that wouldn't add up to half a chocolate bar, it wouldn't surprise if she was making herself a little s'more treat.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:45 AM

37,069 posts, read 38,262,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
No one is forcing the dad or other parents to have their child go to a free public school. If you do not like the rules, then they have the option NOT to send their children there. Home schooling, private schooling, or moving to a new district would all be an option.
When we start providing full vouchers to the students then you have a point.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 AM

894 posts, read 797,888 times
Where did this guy get his medical degree? The University of Phoenix?

A guy who allegedly specializes in obesity considers four slices of processed deli meat, string cheese, chocolate, marshmallows and pickles a healthy lunch? Now, I'm not saying the school needs to act as the food police, but a family living off a doctor's income can do better than that.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:51 AM

17,202 posts, read 14,805,597 times
The note sounds to me like they wanted to educate a person who certainly sounds like he needs education. I don't know if this is a poorer area, but I can tell you as someone who works in health care, education about nutrition is seriously lacking. I see many people who have lost limbs from diabetes who still don't know what they should and shouldn't eat.

I do not understand the mentality of someone whose response to someone trying to help him is to try to publicly shame her. Even if he was offended by it, he still should have just talked to her or her principal about that. This to me is what is wrong with the world, no one talks to each other, they just rush to the web for ego validation and revenge and to be "right" rather than actually try to resolve issues.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 01-24-2015 at 10:06 AM..

Old 01-24-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
And you're basing that on what? You're making a mountain out of mole hill. The lunch included slices of ham, low fat cheese, a pickle and the goodies. They state 4 chocolate bars but I'd be willing to bet they were the mini ones that wouldn't add up to half a chocolate bar, it wouldn't surprise if she was making herself a little s'more treat.
We do not know the other side of the story or whether it was 4 tiny-tiny chocolate bars. I'm basing it off of common sense. It's common sense that the teacher would most likely pack a healthier lunch than what the child brought.

Old 01-24-2015, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When we start providing full vouchers to the students then you have a point.
Vouchers for what? Parents aren't forced to have their children go to public schools. If they don't like the rules, then they have other options. One of my wife's friends refuses to vaccinate her children. The school requires parents to do so. She simply did not send her children to that school.

If parents do not like the school's rules, then they need to take the steps needed to change the who's sitting on the school board and who makes the laws. The school wasn't telling dad what to do while his child was off school grounds. They have every right to dictate certain rules while the children are on school property and in the schools custody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or