U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:59 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,398,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The note sounds to me like they wanted to educate a person who certainly sounds like he needs education. I don't know if this is a poorer area, but I can tell you as someone who works in health care, education about nutrition is seriously lacking. I see many people who have lost limbs from diabetes who still don't know what they should and shouldn't eat.

I do not understand the mentality of someone whose response to someone trying to help him is to try to publicly shame her. Even if he was offended by it, he still should have just talked to her or her principal about that. This to me is what is wrong with the world, no one talks to each other, they just rush to the web for ego validation and revenge and to be "right" rather than actually try to resolve issues.
I agree. It wasn't about trying to tell dad how to raise his child. It was about their concern for his child's well being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:24 AM

1,831 posts, read 2,005,576 times
According to the latest government figures the people of our nation have a serious problem with their diet. Many adult eating issues actually were taught by brain dead parents early in their life. Today there is more awareness of children's diet. At least she did not report you. Smarten up.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:31 AM

6,126 posts, read 5,186,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
When I was a much younger Mom, I worked at the school during lunch hour. No, I wasn't the lady in the hairnet who dished out the less-than-appetizing hot lunch - I and two other moms patrolled the cafeteria to help keep order and to encourage the children to "eat your lunch so you can play in the school yard". Some kids ate everything on their trays and "helped" classmates eat some of theirs. Some kids ate the lunch they brought from home and others ate only the cupcake or candy and threw the rest of the lunch away.

But no matter, the cafeteria workers and the teachers should check the contents of the garbage cans and they'll see that there are many children who aren't getting "proper" lunches. Just because a parent packs it doesn't mean the kid is eating it.
I'm a cook in a jr./sr. high school cafeteria (btw I wear a baseball cap, not a hairnet). You want to know what's in those trash cans? Apples, oranges, salad, bananas... The kids who purchase a school lunch are required to take a piece of fruit on their tray. They aren't required to eat it, and most of them don't. They're still throwing it.

I may be biased, but I think most of the food we prepare and serve in the cafeteria is pretty good. I wouldn't say excellent, but compared to what I've seen posted from elsewhere, definitely pretty good. We're one of a dying breed, a school that prepares its own food on site. Since the new food guidelines have been established, the number of kids purchasing lunches has dropped, and I'm seeing more brown bags, lunch bags, and takeout in the cafeteria. Key word is purchasing, I'm not referring to those eligible kids that get free/reduced lunch.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:32 AM

4,878 posts, read 4,598,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Are you kidding me? She takes 4 chocolate bars to school, eats one and trades or sells the other three, I bet. I don't know about the black market for marshmallows in elementary school...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No she as allowed to pick from a menu provided by the parents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatula City View Post
Oh wow, some low-fat cheese and ham make it so much better.
WTF is this guy thinking?
I found it ironic that chocolate bars, marshmallows and Ritz crackers are ok but no bread...oh,
those carbs.

The article didn't mention anything about the schools policies. I know that when our kids went
to school we would pack a healthy lunch. Fast forward after they graduated high school, they
told us they would throw most of it away. Of course they feel bad about it now.
Also, this was a substitute teacher. I wonder if she was a permanent sub because some of
the substitute teachers I had when I couldn't go to work did many things I didn't approve of.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:36 AM

7,217 posts, read 8,837,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well, maybe the teacher can pack the child's lunch from now on.
Or maybe any adult with a 5th grade education or higher could perhaps choose better choices for the lunch. It really amazes me when schools don't give notice to a situation that occurs all hell breaks loose because "we weren't informed"! I'm sorry but if the father felt the school was out of line he should have put his big boy pants on and spoken to the school directly not posted this on social media....

And he's a doctor, of what???

Old 01-24-2015, 11:39 AM

16,532 posts, read 16,087,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
The teachers and the school district have the right to to parents how to dress their children, how their hair must be kept, how to behave, what kind of vaccinations and other medical situation must be accounted for, or even what kinds of food their child can or not not bring while their children are on school property and in the custody of the school faculty based on what ever guidelines the school has enforced. No one is forcing the dad or other parents to have their child go to a free public school. If you do not like the rules, then they have the option NOT to send their children there. Home schooling, private schooling, or moving to a new district would all be an option.
DoniDanko makes some good points.

While I disagree with a substitute teacher sending a note home (as they may not know all of the history or the ongoing situation), if the classroom teacher is aware of a pattern of poor lunch choices that is something that they may want to discuss with the parent.

I have had students who would complain endlessly in the afternoon that they were hungry and then I found out that they spent their lunch time talking with their friends and not eating or would take a bite or two of lunch and then throw the rest away because they wanted to get outside to play faster. Although this is a slightly different issue what a child eats, or does not eat for lunch can effect classroom behavior and learning.

Although, we have no way to know for sure
, frankly, this dad sounds like the kind of parent who would be bucking the system at every point.

School rules say that you need to wear snow pants and boots if you want to play in the snow? Heck, no. If my daughter wants to wear shorts and flip flops in the snow it is her right to do that. After all, she is independent and dresses herself for school.

School rules say that you need to bring a healthy snack for mid morning? Heck, no. If my daughter wants to eat a chocolate candy bar or a big bag of potato chips it is her right to do that. After all, she is independent and packs her own snack for school.

etc, etc, etc

Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 AM

6,126 posts, read 5,186,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Good for the father

It's been a lifelong mission for me to expose teachers for the bullies they can be.
This idiot teacher has no business judging a kids lunch......

Hell if the kid was eating a dozen damned cookies for lunch-

You best believe the teacher should keep his or her mouth shut.

There was a similar instance in another district where a teacher's aide took it upon herself to inspect and confiscate lunches. She confiscated one that contained a pb/jelly sandwich, chips, little debbies cake, and a little hug drink (because it contained no whole grains, fruit, vegetables or dairy). The child's parents and other parents really protested, and the practice of lunch inspections at that school stopped.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:49 AM

894 posts, read 803,525 times
I agree the father sounds like a first class a-hole. There was really no need to post the note on the internet, all he had to do as a mature adult is have a meeting with the school and discuss the matter. I'm just cracking up over the fact that he touts himself as an obesity expert but allows his child to stuff herself with one of the ingredients that is a major contributor to obesity: processed sugar.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:51 AM

7,217 posts, read 8,837,996 times
/\

There is a difference between having food taken away from a student because the teacher doesn't approve and letting a parent know that their child brought nothing but junk food for lunch. I agree with the other poster and think this is a parent that tries to "buck the system" regularly.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 AM

10,340 posts, read 10,519,766 times
Those accusing the father of being a poor parent may not have read the article. Even if you have and still wish to accuse the father of being a poor parent you are now failing the consistency test. You need to apply the same standard to the teacher, whose note to the father was not even an accurate description of the lunch. The teacher suffers a credibility problem and may not be qualified to be in front of young and impressionable minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or