U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 AM

15,202 posts, read 18,206,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You did this at age 8?
Why not? Are children too stupid to do things like that or something?

I did something similar, when I was about 9 or 10. I'd get dropped off at a friend's house in the morning, and we'd walk to school together. On the way, we'd stop off at a convenience store and spend our lunch money on bags of Jolly Ranchers and other small candies that we could sell. We'd sell enough to make our money back and then keep the rest. Free candy is a powerful motivator for young kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:53 AM

20,293 posts, read 16,464,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Those accusing the father of being a poor parent may not have read the article. Even if you have and still wish to accuse the father of being a poor parent you are now failing the consistency test. You need to apply the same standard to the teacher, whose note to the father was not even an accurate description of the lunch. The teacher suffers a credibility problem and may not be qualified to be in front of young and impressionable minds.
I never said he was a poor parent, except for the very poor example he is setting for his child about how adults resolve conflicts.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM

10,626 posts, read 11,019,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I never said he was a poor parent, except for the very poor example he is setting for his child about how adults resolve conflicts.
Then my post was not directed at you. As for his response, some approve, others don't. I don't care one way or the other. You don't know if this was just the latest example in a growing trend for this father or maybe others who have kids in that school. Or any other circumstances leading up to his decisions to publicly share the note. It's also possible the father did it with motivations no different than anyone else has when they post to social media stories about things they experience. But a lot of people rushed to conclusions and condemned the father for going public the way he did, and they did so with very little facts.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:26 PM

3,266 posts, read 3,668,020 times
Sorry but Dad is a moron. That is a disgusting lunch. I'm no fan of teachers and their meddling but he really is a moron if he thinks a pickle is a vegetable. When I was a kid, my mom used to pack me a full lunch - lentil soup, vegetables, rice and fruit. I can't eat a chocolate bar as a snack (much less a meal) even if you PAID me to.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:35 PM

4,193 posts, read 3,060,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
https://gma.yahoo.com/dad-posts-medd...parenting.html

Lol....teacher needs to stick to teaching school and not worrying about a kids lunch...
The cafeteria worker and the substitute teacher both need to stick to their assigned duties.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,497,028 times
Meh the teacher definitely overstepped boundaries. None of her business at all. But I find it difficult to understand how a 7 year is allotted the responsibility to choose their own lunch items consisting of what sounds mostly like processed junk, high in sodium, sugar, and really no nutritional value... She can be independent in different ways, but clearly, when it comes to choosing lunch, her dad still needs to be the parent and put his foot down. That doesn't mean she can't have chocolate, but pair it with a fruit or veggie, some meat--like protein, milk, and then maybe ONE chocolate bar. Everything in moderation. The lunch sounds like pure junk. I remember being 7, and sneaking with the 1.00 my mom gave me, to buy cookies, and debbie snacks. But the majority of my lunch consisted of milk, fruit, a nasty veggie, and a sandwhich of some sort that she made for me--she PACKED my lunch at 7, because she knew if I did, it would be pure crap. That didn't mean that I didn't sneak around and try to get what I wanted. But she didn't condone it--she stressed nutrition, eating healthy, and I ended up paying for it when I continued to sneak fatty foods at friends houses and at school and two years later got fat, LOL. In any case, I think the dad needs to not compromise with a 7 year old and be a PARENT, and that the teachers need to mind their own business.

Old 01-24-2015, 12:46 PM

1,561 posts, read 1,989,211 times
As a teacher, my responsibility begins and ends with subject material. Behave properly in class, respect the classroom, do your classwork, participate and do your homework. THAT is what I am certified and qualified to do and evaluate.
The rest is the PARENTS' job. School is SCHOOL, and home is HOME. It only takes a village to raise a child when the parents are idiots.
Teachers please focus on teaching and stop getting so personal with your students. And for Pete's sake, PLEASE stop having sex with students!!!!!!!!!

P.S. Next time, DAD, get your highly qualified and educated butt to the school and take care of your business instead of trying to get attention by posting it "out there".

Old 01-24-2015, 01:00 PM

14,558 posts, read 8,386,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
As per the article, he allows his "independent" child to pack her own lunch.
+1. The teacher is caring enough to write a note about her concerns, and the kid's dad has to get his panties in a bunch. All he has to do is ignore it, and instead he whines to the media? Typical arrogant doctor.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:15 PM

11,210 posts, read 8,347,320 times
Really, who cares what the kid eats? At least they aren't on the gov't dole for free lunches.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:47 PM

2,206 posts, read 1,466,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Really, who cares what the kid eats? At least they aren't on the gov't dole for free lunches.
The teachers and other school employees obviously do... God forbid... Many are applying their political views to teachers who were simply concerned about one of their students being properly nourished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or