U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 03:50 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,977,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Sorry but Dad is a moron. That is a disgusting lunch. I'm no fan of teachers and their meddling but he really is a moron if he thinks a pickle is a vegetable. When I was a kid, my mom used to pack me a full lunch - lentil soup, vegetables, rice and fruit. I can't eat a chocolate bar as a snack (much less a meal) even if you PAID me to.
What would you call it ?

A pickle is a preserved cucumber..sweet, sour, dill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 03:59 PM

421 posts, read 309,960 times
Quote:
LOL yea.. she's trading the other 3 for an apple and veggies
Probably trading them for crack or ecstacy!

Old 01-24-2015, 04:00 PM

20,901 posts, read 22,491,443 times
It sounds to me that the girl had a lot of food so she could make choices throughout the day as to what she could snack on. Maybe eventually she would have eaten the ham and cheese or maybe she already did. Maybe the candy bars were to have been for later. Maybe there was a nice, healthy apple waiting for the girl when she got home. Nobody knows but this family and it's nobody's business to know but theirs.

In any case, the letter from the substitute teacher was really arrogant and preachy. Who the heck was she to tell the dad he HAD to make his kid a better lunch in the future? Was the teacher going to single out the kid and inspect the girl's backpack the next day to see if the dad obeyed her commands. If he didn't then what? If I were the dad, I think I would be doing some major complaining to the school besides posting it on Social Media.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:08 PM

3,185 posts, read 3,360,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What would you call it ?

A pickle is a preserved cucumber..sweet, sour, dill.
I'm not discussing semantics.

Why does one eat vegetables? For their nutritional value, including fiber. A pickled cucumber has negligible value (and even a fresh cucumber doesn't rank very high).

Old 01-24-2015, 04:15 PM

421 posts, read 309,960 times
This is one of my favorite things about the internet! You might dub it as "the people's court"! Ya can't get away with nothin!
Years ago this meddling teacher's note would have been addressed in a private matter and would never have been seen by millions! I love the "voice" we have now. Nobody has to be bullied or persecuted in private! Mess up and "BOOM" they become an infamous fool!

Old 01-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 27 days ago)

10,323 posts, read 10,471,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It sounds to me that the girl had a lot of food so she could make choices throughout the day as to what she could snack on. Maybe eventually she would have eaten the ham and cheese or maybe she already did. Maybe the candy bars were to have been for later. Maybe there was a nice, healthy apple waiting for the girl when she got home. Nobody knows but this family and it's nobody's business to know but theirs.

In any case, the letter from the substitute teacher was really arrogant and preachy. Who the heck was she to tell the dad he HAD to make his kid a better lunch in the future? Was the teacher going to single out the kid and inspect the girl's backpack the next day to see if the dad obeyed her commands. If he didn't then what? If I were the dad, I think I would be doing some major complaining to the school besides posting it on Social Media.
This. I'd rep it 10 more times if I could. Lots of members coming to conclusions here without knowing much about the situation. It's actually a little comical.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:32 PM

13,469 posts, read 15,078,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
As per the article, he allows his "independent" child to pack her own lunch.
Yup.

Just because you're a doctor doesn't mean you're a good parent.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:54 PM

5,586 posts, read 4,799,613 times
Yea, I guess a teacher should stick to teaching.

If the kid shows up bruised after being beaten, keep your mouth shut. If a kid is malnourished, keep your mouth shut. If a kid can't see because they have no glasses, keep your mouth shut. If a kid has no shoes, keep your mouth shut. If a kid says daddy touched me there, keep your mouth shut.

Just stick to teaching.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:04 PM

21,564 posts, read 26,178,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Seriously?.....You think 4 chocolate bars, marshmallows, crackers and a pickle is a good balanced meal?
It seems a lot of folks here have never dealt with children who are picky eaters.

Dad said, "Sure, I'd liked her to pack a few more veggies and maybe a piece of fruit, but we compromise on pickles occasionally ... "

My younger son did not like vegetables, and he grew up being served cooked from scratch meals that had veggies every day. His usual dinner veggie was plain iceberg lettuce (I know, but at least it provided a little roughage) with a little dressing. Once, when he was about the age of the girl in the OP, I tried to get him to eat some green peas. He did - swallowing them whole, like pills. He grew up fine, eats all sorts of veggies (even broccoli - and green peas!) and has a daughter who loves vegetables.

My older son still does not much care for vegetables. His wife disguises them in things like spaghetti sauce to get him to eat them.

As other folks have pointed out, there is no point in serving a child something he will not eat, and the waste that the new school lunch rules generate is unconscionable.

The problem with the teacher's note is that it was based on bad information (no one told her the child had meat and cheese and the dessert was to share). In addition, perhaps the compromise at lunch results in her agreeing to eat something the teacher might consider more nutritious at home, something the teacher has no knowledge about.

Old 01-24-2015, 05:04 PM

7,795 posts, read 3,866,524 times
Have you seen what the lunches are since Michelle Obama got involved? You can't even tell what some of the stuff is supposed to be. Me, from JR High on up, I shot craps at lunch and used the money to buy a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or