Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2015, 11:48 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Pretty relevant to your subject drift of right and wrong however. I can't take all the credit. It was a true team effort.
We're in the midst of talking about a dad doing "wrong" by his choice in lunch offering....yet I'm coming out of left field by discussing how wrong and right pertain to the situation. Please forgive my folly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:51 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
My daughter's classmate brought a package of cookies to school for snack a couple of years ago and the teacher took them away and gave the child a package of goldfish crackers instead. This is just an example of schools making decisions for parents while having zero idea about nutrition themselves. If cookies are not acceptable then why would goldfish be allowed? They are both junk.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:53 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
We're in the midst of talking about a dad doing "wrong" by his choice in lunch offering....yet I'm coming out of left field by discussing how wrong and right pertain to the situation. Please forgive my folly.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:55 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,499,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What's the problem with chocolate bars?
Personally, I'd be concerned because my kids couldn't brush their teeth afterwards (cavities you know). And, four bars is just too much sugar. HOWEVER, now that I see it was just four pieces or miniature bars, I'd have no problem with this lunch. The dad has every right to be irked, but he needs to remember this was a substitute teacher and not the norm.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:57 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Personally, I'd be concerned because my kids couldn't brush their teeth afterwards (cavities you know). And, four bars is just too much sugar. HOWEVER, now that I see it was just four pieces or miniature bars, I'd have no problem with this lunch. The dad has every right to be irked, but he needs to remember this was a substitute teacher and not the norm.
So 500-600 calories of candy and junk food to 150 calories of food sounds like a good lunch to you

Old 01-25-2015, 12:23 PM

436 posts, read 421,006 times
Hey. French kids tend to eat pretty healthy most of the time. They will also eat chocolate sandwiches sometimes - a full chocolate bar between slices of bread. Sometimes the SCHOOL gives them this snack.

Personally I'm more concerned with the endless amount of candy, cupcakes, "holiday treats" etc the school itself gives out in the classrooms. I have no say in that. I can tell the teacher to make my kid sit out and not eat the food coloring candy the other children are having, but then my kid is singled out. So a teacher can give out candy, but if a parent does it, it's irresponsible?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
So 500-600 calories of candy and junk food to 150 calories of food sounds like a good lunch to you
Four marshmallows are the equivalent of 100 calories. One Hershey's fun size bar is 67 calories. Her dad said she ate one small piece of chocolate and 4 marshmallows so the junk calories are 167.

Calories in Safeway - Marshmallows, Large | Nutrition and Health Facts
Calories in Hershey Fun Size - Calorie, Fat, Carb, Fiber, & Protein Info | SparkPeople

People seem to also have problems with the ham, cheese and the pickle which is weird considering these are pretty common lunch items.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
I blame Pinterest. I'm ready to call CPS on myself after an hour on there looking at school lunch ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm just seriously puzzled as to why so many are thinking this lunch is so terrible. Could it be better? of course. But is it really as bad as some are making it out to be? I don't even think it's all that out of the ordinary.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Four marshmallows are the equivalent of 100 calories. One Hershey's fun size bar is 67 calories. Her dad said she ate one small piece of chocolate and 4 marshmallows so the junk calories are 167.

Calories in Safeway - Marshmallows, Large | Nutrition and Health Facts
Calories in Hershey Fun Size - Calorie, Fat, Carb, Fiber, & Protein Info | SparkPeople

People seem to also have problems with the ham, cheese and the pickle which is weird considering these are pretty common lunch items.
Yup.

4*67 would be 268, many fun-sized candy bars are more caloric than a Hershey's bar is which is why I called it 300. Another 100-200 calories for the Ritz crackers. I'm glad the math is agreeable to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events