Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2015, 11:30 PM

21,599 posts, read 24,739,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
So I was a bad parent because I had a kid who would not eat vegetables because I did not somehow force him to and an adult son who does not like vegetables, either?

As best I can tell, that is what you mean. If I am wrong, please enlighten me.
I have no idea if you were or were not and made no statement to that effect. So yes, you're wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Not thinking. The cheese, ham and pickle are all high sodium, add the high sugar content of the chocolate bars and the marshmallows and the guy is obviously not thinking or the kid is blackmailing him. 4 chocolate bars would be about 1,000 calories if full-size and if not, combined with the marshmallows.......... The joke really is the "low-fat" cheese. Maybe his daughter's diet is a science experiment for him. Maybe the guy thinks that eventually, if the child feels bad enough from what she is using that she will learn to make good choices about her diet?
Kid picks what the kid eats for lunch, the dad probably isn't even aware. Also why the parent should be a parent. I'm all for having kids pack their own lunches, but clearly some supervision is necessary as evidenced by four chocolate bars and marshmallows.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:40 PM

36,963 posts, read 40,892,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Kid picks what the kid eats for lunch, the dad probably isn't even aware. Also why the parent should be a parent. I'm all for having kids pack their own lunches, but clearly some supervision is necessary as evidenced by four chocolate bars and marshmallows.
According to the father:

" 'Unfortunately, the letter didn't have what she had, correctly. She had four pieces of ham, a whole protein meat, she also had some pickles, which we admittedly cheat on pickles every once and awhile as a vegetable, because some fights just aren't worth having,' said Dr. Puckett.

'She also had four marshmallows in a Ziploc bag and then she had three very small pieces of chocolate, of which she ate one for lunch and then she also gave her brother and another friend one at an after school program,' Puckett said to ABC 3."

Old 01-24-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I have no idea if you were or were not and made no statement to that effect. So yes, you're wrong.
Then what did you mean when you said, "Especially if you raised your kid the way he is."?

Old 01-25-2015, 12:06 AM

*scratches head*

I meant what I said. I really have no idea how you raised your kids. It means what it means. If you gave your child unlimited candies at meal time, it does not surprise me that your child would not eat vegetables or really any other food. Give a six-year-old the choice between a candy bar and vegetables and most all of them will choose the candy bar.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
*scratches head*

I meant what I said. I really have no idea how you raised your kids. It means what it means. If you gave your child unlimited candies at meal time, it does not surprise me that your child would not eat vegetables or really any other food. Give a six-year-old the choice between a candy bar and vegetables and most all of them will choose the candy bar.

I have no idea why you think I gave my kids unlimited candies at meal time. I did not. We did not even have dessert with every meal, but if we did it was at the end of the meal, the way most people do it.

I had one son who just did not like a lot of vegetables. Thank goodness for kid vitamins. We did not force our kids to eat foods they did not like.

The child in the OP had already eaten the meat and cheese in her lunch, which was gone before the school employee saw what was left. She ate one out of three small pieces of chocolate and gave the two other pieces away. She did not eat the candy and skip the rest of the meal. So, no, it is not inevitable that kids will only eat the sweets.

Old 01-25-2015, 01:11 AM

As I said, it really doesn't not surprise me that this dad has to fight the pickles are a vegetable battle.
Four fun-sized candy bars are roughly 300 calories. Bag of marshmallows might be another hundred calories. The Ritz crackers? maybe another 100-200 calories. Pickles are negligible. Four slices of ham is maybe 100 calories. The low fat string cheese would be 50. I find it completely unsurprising that a kid that is allowed a lunch of 400 calories of candy, 100-200 calories of snack food, and 150 calories of meat and cheese is a "picky eater." That's a kid who is given effectively unlimited candy and snacks. A good parent would use that as a learning lesson. Sodium content is way off, macro nutrients are way off. It's worse than a Lunchables considering that's about what it is just with four candy bars and marshmallows.

And I'd just say there's a world of difference between forcing your kid to eat foods they don't like and being a parent and saying no, you can't all the junk food you want. I hated brussel sprouts, mushrooms, onions, anything with coconut, liver as a kid. Good luck making me eat one. On the other hand, my parents behaved like parents and didn't let me eat candy, marshmallows, and Ritz crackers for lunch. Seeing as how that wasn't an option, a lot of foods that didn't rank quite as high as a snicker's bar on the tastes good scale were palatable. I knew I wasn't going to get all the cookies and candies and ice cream I wanted, whenever I wanted.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:07 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,834,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I'm curious as to what perfect lunches people pack for their kids everyday? Please share.
Nanny state.

Thought police.
Discipline police.
Snack police.

We should just go ahead and regulate every part of human life. IMO, all children should be raised by government training programs and released to the parents at 18.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:23 AM

6,353 posts, read 6,210,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I would use my lunch money mom gave me to buy candy in the morning(blow-pops and noworlaters and gum) on the way to the bus.
At school it would all be sold before lunchtime came, making me a profit enough to go with a senior with a car and eat off campus and get a hamburger at Sonic.

Thank you for sharing. This makes me understand your political POVs much more clearly in context.

I was never given "lunch money" because we had no money. I was given a sandwich and fruit that i threw away (despite telling my family that i didn't like it, they told me "tough sh--") and a snack and juice box that i consumed. I developed anemia and an eating disorder.

Its amazing what starting off with money and empathy in your life can lead to!

Old 01-25-2015, 03:56 AM

15,430 posts, read 10,350,631 times
four pieces of ham
a string cheese
ritz crackers
a pickle
four chocolate bars
marsh mellows

Could have been worse, could have been better. Actually, drop three of those chocolate bars and I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. I think the substitute teacher was out of place, but the dad is really overreacting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events