U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 10:03 PM

7,873 posts, read 5,500,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
Cops: Pet ferrets maul newborn's face while mom is upstairs

That's it! Ban all Ferrets! They are a danger to babies and kids.
How awful! That poor baby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 PM

16,551 posts, read 20,136,950 times
I've had ferrets for 20 years now, the 3rd most popular pet in America today, and none of my ferrets have ever been caged, they have free run of the house and their own grassy courtyard, and use of the garage as well. And they're easy to train! Put papers down in every room, and they'll use them. Change the papers every so often! And they're very intelligent animals!

I walk my ferret, he's leash-trained, in downtown Las Vegas and the Las Vegas Strip, at night, and in any given night, any number of people will pick up my ferret, hold him, for photo shoots, lick/smell their faces, and he's never so much as nipped anyone! I think one of the reasons for that, he's never been caged! I would never trust a ferret that's been caged!

I bought a ferret one time, who had been caged, and it took about a month before he stopped biting me!

In this case, I'd like to know more about how these ferrets were treated, were they fed properly, and how much freedom were they given.

And have ferrets around young children like that, what were they thinking?

Old 01-24-2015, 10:47 PM

421 posts, read 311,078 times
Can't they be kitty box trained? I once had a rabbit that was kitty box trained. Only thing is she loved to devour all the electrical plugs.

Old 01-25-2015, 12:54 AM
ERH

1,041 posts, read 1,508,217 times
Cary Couple Charged In Ferret Attack :: WRAL.com

I lived in the apartment above the couple in this news story from 2004. They had the nerve to complain about the noise my toddler made...all the while, their ferrets were gnawing on their daughter like a chew toy. smh

Old 01-25-2015, 01:17 AM

421 posts, read 311,078 times
WOW!!!!!!! NICE NEIGHBORS YOU HAVE! I wonder if there will be people coming to your neighborhood to hate call them. Probably. It would be great if you could keep us posted on reactions to this crime.

Old 01-25-2015, 03:32 AM

6,317 posts, read 4,476,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelCreator View Post
Cops: Pet ferrets maul newborn's face while mom is upstairs

That's it! Ban all Ferrets! They are a danger to babies and kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Just another day in America with their ferret obsession and loose ferret laws. When will they learn?

I know this was said in jest but they are illegal in Cali and Hawaii.

I just don't understand the attraction to these animals. Why does anyone really NEED to keep them as pets?

There are many safer small animals to have around kids.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:58 AM

5,476 posts, read 4,616,267 times
In addition to the three ferrets, the couple had six cats, two dogs and 2 turtles plus five children UNDER THE AGE OF 5. All the kids have developmental disabilities. I can only imagine what a chaotic household it was. The article says the family was being monitored by 3 different agencies, yet the home was squalid, barely any food in the house (except pet food) and was infested with fleas and mites. It makes you wonder how effective the monitoring was.

Also a good argument for enforced birth control in a situation like this.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:08 AM

685 posts, read 534,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraGirl123 View Post
How about we ban irresponsible parents...both parents were upstairs when this happened (father was asleep). There were also four other children in this house (which was in deplorable condition), and the family is apparently well-known by the county's Children and Youth Department due to past problems.
I like your response the best. It has nothing to do with the ferret. It has to do AGAIN (geesh, people are ridiculous) with not knowing how to manage a pet.

We have two pet rats. Rats are rodents. Rodents chew (I have one remote that's going to look really silly when I have to exchange it but they like the rubber and plastic). When they nibble my fingers, I tap there nose and say, "No!" Then I close my hands and let them lick. We do not feed food through the wires of their cage because this teaches them to grab and may grab a finger - that would be our fault, not the rats'.

The parents should be punished for this crime.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:12 AM

685 posts, read 534,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
In addition to the three ferrets, the couple had six cats, two dogs and 2 turtles plus five children UNDER THE AGE OF 5. All the kids have developmental disabilities. I can only imagine what a chaotic household it was. The article says the family was being monitored by 3 different agencies, yet the home was squalid, barely any food in the house (except pet food) and was infested with fleas and mites. It makes you wonder how effective the monitoring was.

Also a good argument for enforced birth control in a situation like this.
I hate the lack of punishment in situations like this. I don't think birth control is a punishment that fits. Unfortunately,
the kids should be removed and placed (god knows what may happen to them) and the parents ... jail.

I'm not surprised about the lack of monitoring or the lack of using a brain when monitoring. Agencies are overworked and understaffed and the agencies know this. It will never be under control (until this is corrected and that won't happen because it costs money).

Old 01-25-2015, 09:56 AM

27,556 posts, read 15,221,353 times
I did read that the remainder of the children will be removed.

All developmentally challenged; with parents who are no brighter.

Poor kids. Poor baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events