Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:13 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I just want to know why calling a random person a name is bullying.
Quote:
What did he protect them from?
I've read your other posts in this thread and understand that you think that bullying is somehow natural or acceptable because it has gone on for so long. It has.

You may think that this is just a rite of passage. And if your screen name is a reflection of your age and psyche, then you are indeed living in the past where Eddie bullied the Beeve, but the Beeve stood up to him and with support from Wally was able to fight back and grow strong like all other American Children. No harm, no foul.

But these are not the late 50's. In fact, these are not even the 1990's. And Eddie Haskell was a bully, a jerk, a moron, and a coward; and if he was a real person and not a TV character would have ended up in prison. I don't understand why you would honor him with your screen name.

New technology such as the Snapchat used here allows bullies to better hide their actions and claim to be little darlings while continuing to terrorize other children. Often, through this same technology, bullies are able to enlist others into their "harmless pranks" and spread the "fun" to levels never seen prior to cell phones. Ultimately children end up with tens or hundreds of other children sending them unwanted bullying messages.

In my time, you fought your bully to stand up for yourself, if you lost, the bulling continued, if you won, the bullying ceased. But you can't stand up and fight every internet based or phone based bully who has "latched" on to join in on the fun, there are often just too many of them.

In these times, people have decided that cyber and other bullying of their children is no longer acceptable. The fifties are gone. Bullying has caused the unnecessary deaths of too many children. It is time for you to get on board and realize that because it happened to you (or you were able to get away with doing it to someone else) did not make it acceptable then, and does not make it any more acceptable now.

We have better tools now to deal with it and it will be dealt with. Bullies will be persecuted, bullies will be prosecuted, bullies will be ostracized, bullies will be terminated and the community - as demonstrated by Prior Lake, MN - won't care that the bullys are now in a world of SOCIAL OR FINANCIAL PAIN.

What did this father protect his daughter from? Torment and Bullying.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 01-26-2015 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:53 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,936,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I've read your other posts in this thread and understand that you think that bullying is somehow natural or acceptable because it has gone on for so long. It has.
I can stop you here. It appears you did not correctly understand what I've said. You're assumptions based on my SN are also completely incorrect.

Quote:
What did this father protect his daughter from? Torment and Bullying.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't one not accept messages from someone on Snapchat or block them all together? I would associate torment and bullying with being unable to escape someone's wrath. An example would be a classmate that likes to verbally or physically assault someone everyday at lunch.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The bullying kids' dad is now in detox.
I also heard on a local radio show yesterday that the 2 boys have been moved out of state for their safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Perfectly okay.
People think once they leave the workplace, they're free from their employer.
Truth is, you still represent your employer outside the work place.
Any of my employees show any form of real racism, I'd do the same thing. Get rid of them.
After watching the original video and the response of the father of the twins, the guy sounded
exactly like an alcoholic I know. Makes me wonder what type dysfunction and emotional environment
the twins were exposed to (and what he was like when he was working).

Old 01-26-2015, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I can stop you here. It appears you did not correctly understand what I've said. You're assumptions based on my SN are also completely incorrect.

[b]Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't one not accept messages from someone on Snapchat or block them all together? I would associate torment and bullying with being unable to escape someone's wrath. An example would be a classmate that likes to verbally or physically assault someone everyday at lunch.
I have re-read your posts and it seems to me you are excusing the source of the problem as something that should just be ignored. Was that your point?

I don't know that technology... But I do know that many phone companies charge you to block messages from other users. Why should anyone have to pay to prevent another from doing something immoral or illegal. You stop the problem at it's source, not cover it up.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:06 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
ROFL OP! The White father of the adopted Black girl who made the video was NOT the one who was fired lol... The racist sorry excuse of a man let alone a father was the one who was fired. Bullying is NOT okay. Just because it happens does not make it okay. Bullying can lead to school shootings, fights, suicide etc. God I hope that you do not have any children of your own.

One more thing, before starting a thread, at least know what you're talking about. You got another thing wrong. Their Black daughter did NOT ask her parents to confront anyone nor did she bring it to their attention. The daughters White friend brought it to the Black girl's parents attention...
Exactly! I am glad that POS racist got fired. Bullying is not right! Make an example out of these effin assclowns.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:08 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Maybe he did go overboard. But the bullying stopped.

Over 25 years ago, one of my sons, then age 13, suddenly had a new 'friend' who was coming over to our house all the time. I came home unexpectedly in the middle of the afternoon, and walked in to find a situation. The new 'friend', who was 3 years older, over a foot taller, and at least 50 pounds heavier than my son suddenly shut up as I walked in the door, and then left as suddenly. My son was pale and looked shaken.

I asked him what had just gone on, and learned the kid had been bullying him every day after school for the past few weeks. The bullying became progressively worse, and the kid had just demanded my son go over to a neighbor's house to steal something or he would be beaten up. That was the conversation that suddenly stopped when I walked in the door.

The kid stayed away until the following week afterwards, but when he thought the coast was clear again, he came back to my home. My son called, said he was coming, and I was waiting for him.

While i never intended to lay a hand on him, and never would have, I gave him a strong dose of his own medicine, and threatened him with a whooping if I ever saw him on my block, on my side of the street again. He threatened to sic his father on me, and I said to bring him over the next time the kid came. Win or lose with his old man, I was still going to thrash him.

It was all just talk. But I showed the kid very clearly that he couldn't intimidate me in any way. it also showed him I was willing to go to any length I needed to protect my son.

It worked. he never came back. I later learned he was a standout football player who had been close to being kicked off his high school team for bullying other team members at school. After his set-to with me, that bullying stopped as well, and the kid actually went on to make a few honest friends.

I never heard anything from his father. I do not know anything about the man, so I can't say if he was also a bully or not. I do know than some kids bully their parents first, so I prefer to think the kid's dad just didn't know about him, or was afraid to stand up to him.

Sure- I could have gotten into real trouble. I was very glad he didn't try my bluff, and I never did anything like that again. That was back in the day, long before social media was even around.

I think the father in the video did the right thing for his daughter 100%. There are times when a bully must learn there are consequences. If he's a child, and his father taught him, the father needs to learn there are consequences, too. Bullies are immune to politeness. They feed on pleading like a vampire feeds on blood.
Good for you. I did the same thing with one of my daughters friends who was a "mean girl". I told her to bring her mama over here and I'd put a whooping on both of them, if they ever laid hands on my daughter AND her friends ever again. POS trash never came back to my house, and left the friends alone, too.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:10 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:

[b]Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't one not accept messages from someone on Snapchat or block them all together? I would associate torment and bullying with being unable to escape someone's wrath. An example would be a classmate that likes to verbally or physically assault someone everyday at lunch.
No, that poster didn't misunderstand you at all. You condone bullying & you seem mystified as to why anyone would have a problem with bullying. Don't try to backtrack, it's unbecoming. End of story.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I don't know that technology... But I do know that many phone companies charge you to block messages from other users. Why should anyone have to pay to prevent another from doing something immoral or illegal. You stop the problem at it's source, not cover it up.
If someone calls you a name in traffic for no apparent reason, what do you do? Do you speed up and drive behind the person...eventually following them home demanding an explanation? Or do you roll your eyes and continue on your way as do they? And I'm pretty sure their's no fee to block someone on Snapchat - it's probably like an instant messenger but with videos...don't watch or block messages from anyone you don't like.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, that poster didn't misunderstand you at all. You condone bullying & you seem mystified as to why anyone would have a problem with bullying. Don't try to backtrack, it's unbecoming. End of story.
I never said or implied I condone bullying. That is false. I said that I don't agree with some people's definition of bullying. Those are completely different things.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
If someone calls you a name in traffic for no apparent reason, what do you do? Do you speed up and drive behind the person...eventually following them home demanding an explanation? Or do you roll your eyes and continue on your way as do they? And I'm pretty sure their's no fee to block someone on Snapchat - it's probably like an instant messenger but with videos...don't watch or block messages from anyone you don't like.
Why is it you fail to understand the difference between an individual isolated incidence and a prolonged campaign of terror?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events