U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 10:35 AM

23,902 posts, read 31,123,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
It has a lot to do with what I wrote and you know it. You start banning everything YOU don't like and this is what happens.
No, it was a silly attempt an an analogy. That is what it was.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:38 AM

12,405 posts, read 9,195,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Since there is a thread here on CD about ferrets attacking an infant, parents should understand that supervising children around all pets is essential.
If you want pets, get goldfish. They will never maul your child(ren).

Old 01-30-2015, 10:54 AM

21,479 posts, read 26,078,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Mycobacterium marinum: The Fish Disease You Could Catch by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Fish Diseases Transmitted to Humans

Old 01-30-2015, 11:13 AM

9,285 posts, read 16,120,780 times

Old 01-30-2015, 11:27 AM

6,297 posts, read 3,474,966 times
Add to that the fact that fish tanks are filled with water, and need electricity to run the filter and lights. Water and electricity is a bad combination. More than one house fire has happened because of aquariums (usually the lights are the problem), and more than one person has been electrocuted because they didn't have the electrical system running on a GFCI protected circuit and they were working on the tank when something shorted out...

And little kids have been killed by pulling over large aquariums on top of themselves.

Nope, fish are dangerous!

Old 01-30-2015, 12:31 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Or just be an educated, informed responsible pet owner. Do you feel so entitled that you should not make any effort to act in a responsible manner to co-exist with other creatures?

Your answer seems to be to just avoid or destroy anything that could possible hurt you. I seriously hope you don't live your entire life like that. Animals can bring great joy and benefit to humans. Domesticated animal are pretty much benign when handled intelligently. Amazingly most are even when faced with human stupidity. Its not really hard to live in harmony with animals.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:51 PM

119 posts, read 146,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I agree. I think we have two separate but related problems happening here:

1. Too many people breeding dogs without any knowledge of the dogs' pedigrees or the slightest understanding of genetics or how to evaluate canine temperament, and who know nothing of how to properly socialize puppies. The dogs they produce are unstable.

2. WAY too many people who are attracted to 'tough" breeds for all the wrong reasons, and who frankly have no business handling such dogs. A dog with high prey drive and/or high defensive drive is NOT a suitable pet for the average owner, much less these wannabe "tough guys" who gravitate towards these breeds.

I once saw an advertisement in a dog magazine from a breeder who was producing Caucasian Ovcharkas that absolutely appalled me.The centerpiece of the ad was a head shot of an Orvcharka with a menacing expression (the dog wasn't showing teeth, but appeared to be glowering at the reader); below it were the words "Like a .44 Magum - WITH TEETH!" Do you think the person who'd respond positively to that ad knows anything whatsoever about properly selecting and training dogs for protection work, or could safely handle a large dog bred for human aggression? I certainly don't!

It's the canine version of "black stallion" syndrome, but unfortunately with the canine version a lot more innocent people get hurt. At least with the equine version it's usually only the dumba** rider who pays for his folly when he insists on being over-horsed.
Well said. I think you hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:55 PM

9,285 posts, read 16,120,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Or just be an educated, informed responsible pet owner. Do you feel so entitled that you should not make any effort to act in a responsible manner to co-exist with other creatures?

Your answer seems to be to just avoid or destroy anything that could possible hurt you. I seriously hope you don't live your entire life like that. Animals can bring great joy and benefit to humans. Domesticated animal are pretty much benign when handled intelligently. Amazingly most are even when faced with human stupidity. Its not really hard to live in harmony with animals.

it is for some folks......

Old 01-30-2015, 01:04 PM

20,014 posts, read 20,504,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
it is for some folks......
Well yes, apparently. I stand corrected.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:23 PM

12,405 posts, read 9,195,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

You can live a good life with, or without, pets. Neither is necessarily wrong, but you do need to be responsible and also have some sort of recreation, but it does not need to involve pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or