U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:34 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,258,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Or just be an educated, informed responsible pet owner. Do you feel so entitled that you should not make any effort to act in a responsible manner to co-exist with other creatures?

Your answer seems to be to just avoid or destroy anything that could possible hurt you. I seriously hope you don't live your entire life like that. Animals can bring great joy and benefit to humans. Domesticated animal are pretty much benign when handled intelligently. Amazingly most are even when faced with human stupidity. Its not really hard to live in harmony with animals.

Amen to that!!

Old 01-30-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You can live a good life with, or without, pets. Neither is necessarily wrong, but you do need to be responsible and also have some sort of recreation, but it does not need to involve pets.

Thank you Captain Obvious

Old 01-30-2015, 03:23 PM

13,379 posts, read 7,140,948 times
I'm not sure why it takes a "pure" pitbull to have aggressive pitbull-like qualities. To me, if a part pitbull does something like this it is even MORE damning of the breed because it doesn't take but a fraction to be violent...and it means that there are a lot MORE of them out there.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:07 PM

6,308 posts, read 3,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I'm not sure why it takes a "pure" pitbull to have aggressive pitbull-like qualities. To me, if a part pitbull does something like this it is even MORE damning of the breed because it doesn't take but a fraction to be violent...and it means that there are a lot MORE of them out there.
I don't think you understand - many, MANY other dog breeds have "aggressive pitbull-like qualities" (however you define those). Tenacity is a desired trait in many working breeds and all terriers, and quite a few dog breeds are known to be dog aggressive, have high prey drive, or high defensive drive. When you're dealing with a mutt, how do you know which animals in the cross contributed what? (Assuming you even know what the cross is, for that matter. Plenty of people would class the result of a Rottweiler x Boxer x Cane Corso x Labrador Retriever x scenthound cross as a "part-pit bull" based on its looks, even though that cross has absolutely no pit bull blood in it at all.)

A poorly-bred and poorly-socialized aggressive dog that weighs more than 40 pounds or so is a menace, regardless of its breed. Pit bulls aren't some canine supervillian, they are just the current dog of choice among the a**hat owner crowd. In prior decades Chows, German Shepherds, Dobermans, Akitas, and Rottweilers held the limelight as unpredictably aggressive "demon dogs." Future candidates for the role include several large mastiff breeds such as the Cane Corso, along with large livestock guardian breeds and dogs bred for cattle and/or hog work.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:23 PM

23,925 posts, read 31,151,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It doesn't. That is the point.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I don't think you understand - many, MANY other dog breeds have "aggressive pitbull-like qualities" (however you define those). Tenacity is a desired trait in many working breeds and all terriers, and quite a few dog breeds are known to be dog aggressive, have high prey drive, or high defensive drive. When you're dealing with a mutt, how do you know which animals in the cross contributed what? (Assuming you even know what the cross is, for that matter. Plenty of people would class the result of a Rottweiler x Boxer x Cane Corso x Labrador Retriever x scenthound cross as a "part-pit bull" based on its looks, even though that cross has absolutely no pit bull blood in it at all.)

A poorly-bred and poorly-socialized aggressive dog that weighs more than 40 pounds or so is a menace, regardless of its breed. Pit bulls aren't some canine supervillian, they are just the current dog of choice among the a**hat owner crowd. In prior decades Chows, German Shepherds, Dobermans, Akitas, and Rottweilers held the limelight as unpredictably aggressive "demon dogs." Future candidates for the role include several large mastiff breeds such as the Cane Corso, along with large livestock guardian breeds and dogs bred for cattle and/or hog work.

Clearly they all need to be banned! Any dog that is over 15 pounds or has teeth should be banned banned banned! We can then move onto banning certain breeds of cats, hamsters etc.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:05 PM

5,060 posts, read 3,335,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairy Guy View Post
Malaki Mildward mauled to death by family's new dogs at Iowa*home | Daily Mail Online

NOTICE how the article FAILS to mention the breed and just says "canine." wow.
Humans make a dog do bad things.

I can turn a golden retriever into a toddler killing machine and a pitbull into a baby bunny snuggling machine.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:52 PM

21,512 posts, read 26,128,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Humans make a dog do bad things.

I can turn a golden retriever into a toddler killing machine and a pitbull into a baby bunny snuggling machine.

You mean like Boom?
http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/1...oot#.xrn10NARE

Old 02-02-2015, 05:26 AM

9,286 posts, read 16,136,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

and Sharky......

https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&hsimp=yhs-001

Old 02-03-2015, 10:56 AM

20,017 posts, read 20,523,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
You can live a good life with, or without, pets. Neither is necessarily wrong, but you do need to be responsible and also have some sort of recreation, but it does not need to involve pets.
And I can say the same about most anything else, you don't need it. Children. Sports. Guns. Fast cars. Sex.
People enjoy different things, different activities. Accidents/ tragedies have occurred in just about every endeavor humans participate in. Dog attacks are a responsible for miniscule percentage of human fatalities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or