U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:43 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,265,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
No, the point is that not every dog that mauls someone is a pitbull. It is interesting that people here insist these dogs must be pitbulls after the authorities have said they were mutts.

Children need to be supervised around pets, including dogs of all breeds.

Exactly

Old 01-27-2015, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
If children need supervising around a pet, then the pet doesn't need to be there at all. Children have for years been around dogs, the RIGHT KIND, without the need for 24/7 supervision. If 24/7 is needed, the pet just doesn't belong there.

As for the pit bull thing, I tend to think there is a bias, but in reverse. I hear of SO MANY people, with kids or not with kids, talking about a dog they got or have, talking all proud of it, and I swear 95% of the time the dog is a pit bull. I want to say to them, and I think I may well start saying to them, what is with thinking that the only decent dog for a pet is a pit bull? It's as if some of these people aren't aware that we also have Labrador or golden retrievers, beagles, Dachshunds, hound dogs--there are so many other breeds. Why the fixation on pit bulls?

Ding a ling statement A child could hurt a small dog by mistake and I wouldn't like that one bit!! We could have a thread how all children are bad then,,,,

Old 01-27-2015, 11:14 AM

9,291 posts, read 16,196,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
And you are making an assumption there, again. I would love to have you come visit and see the pit bulls that attacked my BF's mother while she was going for a walk (but you can't because they are dead). One was absolutely over 100 pounds.

Take a look at these lovely little critters. Now why the hell does anyone breed such an animal?

HUGE 100 POUND XXL LARGE MALE PITBULLS BULLY XTREME

because they are emasculated idiots and because they can...... same thing as breeding "teacup" chihuahuas or mini-aussies..... just poor, poor breeding practices with fancy names slapped on to extract more $$$ from the stupid and gullible public.....

those dogs are NOT pit bulls, no matter WHAT that website would have you believe..... there may be some pit bull terrier in them, but it has been lost to the other, larger breeds that were crossed in to create that size......

Old 01-27-2015, 12:35 PM

759 posts, read 1,040,852 times
For those who didn't bother to look at the link, the mother states quite clearly in a Facebook photo caption that the dogs are a Pit Bull/English Bull mix. The pit bull side wins out every time when it comes to eating kids. I wouldn't own one. I wouldn't have let my kids near one. The only reason I can suppose that some people do own them is a misguided belief that having a "tough dog" somehow gives them the image of being a "tough guy." I've never once heard anyone say, "The reason I keep Pits is because I wanted to have the most gentle, loving breed of dog I've ever encountered."

Old 01-27-2015, 12:54 PM

20,138 posts, read 20,621,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
The woman who was selling them said "Pit bull/English bulldog." To any reasonable person, that means part pit bull. I'm going with the information given by the seller rather than third-party speculation on an internet message board from someone who's never met the dogs in question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Give the woman's FB page and contents, I wouldn't place much stock in her being able to identify exactly what the dogs were. I AM sure that they had plenty of "pit bull" type blood in them, given the pictures.
Do we even know those puppies in that photo were the dogs in question? The article said the families new dogs, there is a photo of the boy with a dog stating it is not known if that particular dog was one of the dogs and there is a picture of puppies the woman put on the internet advertising puppies for sale.

The report stated the dogs put down for the attack were mixed breed dogs. There was not any pictures of the dogs they actually put down. We have two posters, one who is going to take the word of the seller that the puppies were pit mixes and the other who doesn't believes she has the mental capacity to even know what kind of dogs she is selling. But they must have been pit bulls and they must have been the dogs that attacked the boy. Sounds to me that some just really, really want this to be a case of "another pit bull attack". The fact so many people cant accept that they were mixed breed dogs, even though authorities stated so, but readily accept as gospel if any dog is called a pit bull, only reinforces the argument that misidentifications and hype are big factors in the push for vilifying and banning pit bulls.

It doesn't appear to me that there is enough reliable information to make a clear assessment.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:35 PM

3,279 posts, read 3,786,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
Ding a ling statement A child could hurt a small dog by mistake and I wouldn't like that one bit!! We could have a thread how all children are bad then,,,,
Then the dog still can't be around, because if a child isn't old enough to be around a dog alone then they need more time for when they're older, and regardless I wouldn't want my child feeling like I cared more about a freaking dog than them. In fact, I'll go so far as to say any parent who would make their child feel that way ought to have their children taken from them.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Then the dog still can't be around, because if a child isn't old enough to be around a dog alone then they need more time for when they're older, and regardless I wouldn't want my child feeling like I cared more about a freaking dog than them. In fact, I'll go so far as to say any parent who would make their child feel that way ought to have their children taken from them.
You shouldn't have a dog at all and most people that hate dogs shouldn't have children.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:30 AM

726 posts, read 667,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Why are we using a story in the Daily Mail, a UK publication, as a primary source for a story from Iowa?
The Daily Mail poisons all.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:05 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,786,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormynh View Post
You shouldn't have a dog at all and most people that hate dogs shouldn't have children.
That's beyond stupid. There are people I know who are great with dogs but impatient with children, but they're still great with the dogs they have. Me--I tend to be more the opposite, and I also tend to be patient, for the most part anyway, with children--but less so with dogs. Frankly, given that my children would be, well, my freaking children, I'd think it way more important that they be taken care of properly and loved on plentifully than some dang-blanged dog--or cat, ferret, any such pet.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,587,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Ok, now I see what you were getting at, I misunderstood. I agree there is actually no breed "pitbull", but it is a class of dogs, but often the case the "pitbulls" have breed mixes outside the this class.

There is no real defined standard, your source (which is biased as they come), is not a place to go for info and I saw where it was wrong jsut glancing at it, where it stated pitbulls can get up to 100lbs, sorry, but pitbulls are small dogs. At what point is this source and everyone else, going to stop classifying every dog as a pitbull?

The mossoler traits are in many dogs, and it seems everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon classifying these traits as a "pitbull". Even here in Miami a couple of years ago, the media was quick to jump on the pitbull attack bandwagon when a woman got killed by her boxers, the media was kind enough at least to correct the story a few days later (though it was it was a small blurb and the headline of "pitbull" was already in people's minds".

Many dogs have similar traits as it is, go do a photoshop of a labrador, and you will see just how similar its head, around the eyes, minus the nose/mouth, is to many pitbulls. Ever see a boxer/lab mix puppy? Yea, those things I am sure everyone would label a "pitbull", feel free to Google the pics if you like (I knew someone who had a litter, by accident of course).

But to add further, every dog is a mutt actually, along with most breeds of cats, all made with selective breeding.
Pittbulls are not always small, depends on how they were made, American Bulldogs(the actual breed, not whatever that user on page ine was going on about), Mastifs, Boxers, English Bulldogs, are a few breeds bred with a select few breeds of terrier are how you get the dogs, some are short, and stocky, and weight near 100lbs, others, such as bred with Boxers, are taller, and weigh more close to 60lbs or so. A Pitt Bull Terrier is actually a real breed, the only " pit bull" that is, because its a terrier, the dog in the movie Next Friday(not that most of you have probably seen it) that Craigs white friend from Pinkys music store stole, and got high, from the mexican gang; the Jokers- is a pittbull terrier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or