Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 09:23 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
That's beyond stupid. There are people I know who are great with dogs but impatient with children, but they're still great with the dogs they have. Me--I tend to be more the opposite, and I also tend to be patient, for the most part anyway, with children--but less so with dogs. Frankly, given that my children would be, well, my freaking children, I'd think it way more important that they be taken care of properly and loved on plentifully than some dang-blanged dog--or cat, ferret, any such pet.

You need to make the decision regarding a pet and children carefully. With your additude you clearly would be best suited to not have either.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:58 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
More. Sounds like family is a real piece of work.

http://blog.dogsbite.org/2015/01/201...d-boy.html?m=1

Old 01-28-2015, 05:09 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Sounds like the family had no business breeding hamsters, never mind dogs.

Why would anyone deliberately breed a dog that has already bitten people? Why would anyone knowingly propagate unstable temperament?

Old 01-29-2015, 08:28 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Sounds like the family had no business breeding hamsters, never mind dogs.

Why would anyone deliberately breed a dog that has already bitten people? Why would anyone knowingly propagate unstable temperament?
So blogs and facebook pages are your reliable sources for factual information? Figures. Perhaps I missed it but I did not see anything about the parents of these puppies or anything about breeding a dog that has a record of biting.

My favorite is that a lack of comment on a facebook page about a English bull dog running around and the add stating they are English bulldog/pit bull mix is proof that the puppies were pit bulls.

This is what is referred to as media hype that perpetuates exaggerated panic and spreads unfounded evidence concerning the actual Pit Bull breed. Actually the media coverage in this instance, perhaps because it was the UK, did a good job in trying not to, to no avail though as people are still crying pit bull.

My agitation in this is not so much peoples fear of dogs or even specifically what they continue to refer to as pit bulls but the fact some people just refuse to understand that the majority of these dogs are not pit bulls. They are something different that has be created through the opposite of line breeding to create a hybrid that is generally bigger, tougher and shows human aggressive traits which is NOT what the established pure pit bull or extensions of that breed that have been produced i.e. American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire terrier are. So people lets stop calling every muscular, smooth coated, boxy headed mixed breed dog a pit bull, it isn't. You are doing a disservice to what was once a very good, loyal, loving family dog. Focus on the real problem, those who are doing the crossbreeding to create this new line of big, strong, tenacious, aggressive dog and perhaps we can restore the original pit bull breed to what it once was.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:04 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So blogs and facebook pages are your reliable sources for factual information? Figures. Perhaps I missed it but I did not see anything about the parents of these puppies or anything about breeding a dog that has a record of biting.
It was mentioned on one of the articles - alas, I forget which one, so I can't link to it.

Quote:
My agitation in this is not so much peoples fear of dogs or even specifically what they continue to refer to as pit bulls but the fact some people just refuse to understand that the majority of these dogs are not pit bulls. They are something different that has be created through the opposite of line breeding to create a hybrid that is generally bigger, tougher and shows human aggressive traits which is NOT what the established pure pit bull or extensions of that breed that have been produced i.e. American pit bull terrier, Staffordshire terrier are. So people lets stop calling every muscular, smooth coated, boxy headed mixed breed dog a pit bull, it isn't. You are doing a disservice to what was once a very good, loyal, loving family dog. Focus on the real problem, those who are doing the crossbreeding to create this new line of big, strong, tenacious, aggressive dog and perhaps we can restore the original pit bull breed to what it once was.
The original "pit bull" isn't in need of rescuing, as reputable breeders of the AKC and UKC breeds that fall under that designated have never bred for human aggression. Their dogs are fine. The problem is with the huge pool of unregistered mutts of who-knows-what breeding - and unfortunately, too many of the folks who breed those WANT a tenacious human-aggressive dog. They think "meanness" is desirable in a guard dog (when of course the opposite is true - a guard dog should have a rock-steady temperament). And since a lot of these folks don't obey the dog laws that are already on the books, I don't know how we are going to stop them from continuing to breed canine time bombs.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:11 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

My favorite is that a lack of comment on a facebook page about a English bull dog running around and the add stating they are English bulldog/pit bull mix is proof that the puppies were pit bulls.

This is what is referred to as media hype that perpetuates exaggerated panic and spreads unfounded evidence concerning the actual Pit Bull breed. Actually the media coverage in this instance, perhaps because it was the UK, did a good job in trying not to, to no avail though as people are still crying pit bull.

welp, when one relies on Colleen Lynn's website, that is the type of information provided as gospel....

Quote:
It was mentioned on one of the articles - alas, I forget which one, so I can't link to it.

The original "pit bull" isn't in need of rescuing, as reputable breeders of the AKC and UKC breeds that fall under that designated have never bred for human aggression. Their dogs are fine. The problem is with the huge pool of unregistered mutts of who-knows-what breeding - and unfortunately, too many of the folks who breed those WANT a tenacious human-aggressive dog. They think "meanness" is desirable in a guard dog (when of course the opposite is true - a guard dog should have a rock-steady temperament). And since a lot of these folks don't obey the dog laws that are already on the books, I don't know how we are going to stop them from continuing to breed canine time bombs.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Pitbull Terrier is an AKC recognized breed?? not that THAT matters.... I abhor what the AKC breeders have done to some perfectly beautiful breeds......

and believe you me, I have seen some VERY poorly bred dogs listed as UKC registered.... most recently were pitbull type dogs being advertised as "hog dogs" ....

Old 01-29-2015, 12:20 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:

Perhaps its reputation and identification in the eyes of the public because so many people are calling these hybrid dogs pit bull that the majority of people do not even know what the actual pit bull is.

And yes, pit bull, American Pit Bull Terrier is an actual breed of dog the original estimated to date as far back as the 1700s. Although there is much confusion the American Pit Bull Terrier is recognized by AKC in the US., as Staffordshire Terrier in the UK or vv. Im confused.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:39 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
And you are making an assumption there, again. I would love to have you come visit and see the pit bulls that attacked my BF's mother while she was going for a walk (but you can't because they are dead). One was absolutely over 100 pounds.

Take a look at these lovely little critters. Now why the hell does anyone breed such an animal?

HUGE 100 POUND XXL LARGE MALE PITBULLS BULLY XTREME
For me, it's hard to look at those dogs as I find them, personally, very ugly/repulsive.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:58 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
And you are making an assumption there, again. I would love to have you come visit and see the pit bulls that attacked my BF's mother while she was going for a walk (but you can't because they are dead). One was absolutely over 100 pounds.

Take a look at these lovely little critters. Now why the hell does anyone breed such an animal?

HUGE 100 POUND XXL LARGE MALE PITBULLS BULLY XTREME
These "dogs" look like some kind of ..mutant. Canine, mixed with Bruin and Warthog. Not something I would even think of for a family pet. They are bred to be killing machines, from my viewpoint. I would think the market for such animals would be extremely narrow. In terms of purpose, what's their niche? Answer...damage potential. It would take a skewed ouoom to see them as aesthetically pleasing.

The spiked, war collar made me roll my eyes as well. Presenting an animal in such a fashion, and claiming them to be loving big babies. Umm....OK.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:01 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
We had a friend over today who says she puts her 3 year old in the yard with her two boxers and doesn't watch them.

I am like, "Are you freakin' nuts?!"
Also, we won't be going over to her house any time soon.

My son and our dogs get along fine. They put up with a lot of his nonsense and we train HIM every day to be good around them, but there's no way they would all be in an area by themselves together without someone watching. Frankly, I'd worry about the dogs more than the kid, but you never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events