U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 03:22 AM

11,353 posts, read 6,418,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
If the students helped the teacher and started fighting the attacker, they'd get suspended. If the teacher defends himself he gets fired. There really is no way to win here.
Suspension?!? There's also a thing called honor. Imagine if you're a student and that teacher being attacked is your mother, father or grandparent? Do you sack up or stand back and giggle? Imagine the public outcry if a student were to be suspended for standing up for their teacher that's in a bear hug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 03:26 AM

11,353 posts, read 6,418,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Seriously, if this was a white kid, would you be saying the same thing. You just won the most ignorant post of the day, good job.
Yes I would.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:35 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Quote:
Seriously, if this was a white kid, would you be saying the same thing. You just won the most ignorant post of the day, good job.
To be honest, when i saw the headline the color of the kid's skin never occurred to me.

Old 01-27-2015, 03:38 AM

698 posts, read 593,621 times
First thought was...I can't imagine a Teacher being able to steal a student's phone?

What kind of reaction did the Teacher think he'd get?

This is not a risk I would take, this kind of provocation. But even so, it's not the Teachers fault.

Next time, send a kid to the Office instead. Which he probably will do.

What a horrible thing the Teacher had to endure over this rat

This kid should never be allowed to show back up in his class. Even if he apologizes and has completed his punishment.

It's now a safety risk now for the both of them, and other students.

So many problems with the public schools nowadays. We have violance bigtime via the Campus Cops who now brandish Tazers ready to torture kids for nothing...kids have even been killed at school due to this. Last time I heard it was a Kindergarden student who got it.

Charter Schools, Private School or homeschooling is the way to go. To send the kids to the Principals office over these things is wiser than to start grabbing him or his stuff away from him. That is getting physical and that can escalate, which is too bad.

Last edited by CaliforniaGal1; 01-27-2015 at 03:50 AM..

Old 01-27-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
I am confident he would be just as outraged if a caucasian kid pulled this.

Overall, a white Teacher at a Minority school is going to have a rougher time at it than if he taught at a school where the majority are caucasian. If he taught his own kind, for lack of a better way to say it. We have all kinds of people in the world, none better or worse for it but it is a sad fact, that a Caucasian teaching at a Minority School is much more likely to have these issues.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:01 AM

4,424 posts, read 5,203,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal1 View Post
First thought was...I can't imagine a Teacher being able to steal a student's phone?

What kind of reaction did the Teacher think he'd get?

This is not a risk I would take, this kind of provocation. But even so, it's not the Teachers fault.

Next time, send a kid to the Office instead. Which he probably will do.

What a horrible thing the Teacher had to endure over this rat

This kid should never be allowed to show back up in his class. Even if he apologizes and has completed his punishment.

It's now a safety risk now for the both of them, and other students.

So many problems with the public schools nowadays. We have violance bigtime via the Campus Cops who now brandish Tazers ready to torture kids for nothing...kids have even been killed at school due to this. Last time I heard it was a Kindergarden student who got it.

Charter Schools, Private School or homeschooling is the way to go. To send the kids to the Principals office over these things is wiser than to start grabbing him or his stuff away from him. That is getting physical and that can escalate, which is too bad.
When I was in school, the teachers ruled. If we kids knew something wasnt allowed in school then the teachers had every right to confiscate it. They didnt have to ask permission or worry about how we'd react. A teacher taking something away from you was no different than your parent doing it, but these days i guess kids will even attack the parent.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:22 AM

4,239 posts, read 3,310,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
The part about him being black is critical. Because he can't just be a bad kid. He's a black bad kid.
There just happens to be many of them, and far out of proportion to the general population. Also, I have never seen or heard of white lower class people marching against police brutality against them.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
When I was in school, the teachers ruled. If we kids knew something wasnt allowed in school then the teachers had every right to confiscate it. They didnt have to ask permission or worry about how we'd react. A teacher taking something away from you was no different than your parent doing it, but these days i guess kids will even attack the parent.
Yes it's so sad.

We had the same situation in public school. Teachers took our stuff if they wanted but usually for good reason.
We always got it back later.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:11 AM

10,380 posts, read 7,467,722 times
Not to re-open a can of worms BUT respect for authority needs to be taught at home and early on. Someone flamed me for spanking my children and one example they sites was the teachers out there being able to control their classes. Teachers used to be able to spank. What's this teacher supposed to do? There are cameras everywhere. He's not allowed to fight back, he can just take the blow and hope the kid breaks his hand.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:26 AM

15,559 posts, read 9,584,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd guess that the stats for kids that wind up in NJ's "alternate" schools are even more grim than the ones attending regular NJ schools.

Let's be honest here folks.

If I were to bet you $100 the kid lacks a father figure in his life, how many of you would take that bet?

It's probably 4-1 against (or worse)
I wouldn't take the bet because it doesn't matter at this point. Either way, the kid did what he did. Daddy, or mommy either, are not responsible for his actions.

Legally, maybe. He's 16. But he is pretty much the man he will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or