Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 PM

2,770 posts, read 2,586,978 times

Advertisements

I know things like this (and worse) are happening as we speak, but this made me sick to my stomach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,386,722 times
This is why when meeting someone off craigslist, dating site, etc. I always want the first meet at least to be in a public place.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:13 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,134,660 times
2 things a thug knows about you when he puts a car on craigslist, you got money and there is no paypal involved.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:58 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,839,438 times
This also made me sick today, as I live in Atlanta and this is a local story.

This couple was the salt of the earth. They were very active and aware of things, and were obviously set up.

Mr. Runion ran a local program through their church where he repaired used bicycles, and he and Mrs. Runion distributed them to needy kids throughout the Southeast. They were also both involved with collecting clothing for needy families, and delivered those along with the bikes.

As soon as their disappearance was on the news Friday night, I had a very bad feeling. They drove down to a rural area of South Georgia to meet this guy.

May they rest in peace.

Old 01-26-2015, 10:57 PM

983 posts, read 988,870 times
I sold a bike on craigslist a while ago, and I will never use the service again. I'm done.

As for the killer, well, I think it's time to bring back Ol' Sparky.

JMatl, I'm very sorry for your community's loss. The Runions sound like wonderful people.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:25 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,839,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I sold a bike on craigslist a while ago, and I will never use the service again. I'm done.

JMatl, I'm very sorry for your community's loss. The Runions sound like wonderful people.
Thanks, IheartWA.

Even though we live in a huge area of almost 6 million, this has touched so many people here on a personal level.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:54 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,424,368 times
News, Missing couple's pastor speaks out after bodies found.

Missing couple's pastor speaks out after bodies found | www.ajc.com

Old 01-27-2015, 06:19 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,174,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post

While terrible, there are some ways to protect yourself in these transactions.

1) meet at neutral place
2) do not deal in large amounts of cash unless you are meeting at a bank or police station branch
3) careful posting wanted ads
4) if buying a car, GET A VIN # first and see if its legit

Old 01-27-2015, 09:01 AM

29,442 posts, read 22,361,743 times
I totally agree with all the advice about taking precautions.

But most people are 'trusting' and maybe too lazy to be extra careful.

I doubt the average craigslist user is so careful.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,418,962 times
Another tip of mine is when you meet in public, do not be the first one there and do not leave first.

Tell them to meet you at X on the bench out front. Tell them to text you when they arrive. Wait for them to be on the bench first. This way you can scope the scene and see if you want to proceed. You can just tell when someone is sketchy. I had a guy meet me at a very public place once but he was sitting on the bench wearing black pants, black hoodie with the hood over his head and I couldn't even see his face (and it was 100 degrees out). I saw him from afar and just left.

Then when you leave, even if the transaction goes well let them walk away first. You don't want to risk being followed. Make sure you see where they go and they don't know where you go. I realize this advice is hard if both parties are following it haha but it's worth mentioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events