U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 07:32 AM

165 posts, read 139,212 times

Advertisements

Small Drone Found on White House Grounds: Law Enforcement Sources - ABC News

A drone was found crashed on whitehouse property. It seems to have posed no risk at this point, could have been a snoop playing with a drone, could have been journalists, spies, or terrorists...why worry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 08:46 AM

9,843 posts, read 7,133,639 times
I think these drones are cool and would like to get one for my real estate business but they are also becoming a menace. They are violating privacy, trespassing and threatening aircraft.
If you want to make a million bucks come up with a cheap means to take them down like a ray gun, EMT pulse generator or something that simply disrupts the radio signal.
I wouldn't want one hovering around my yard taking video of me.

Finding one on the White House lawn is a cause to be alarmed in my book.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:50 PM

8,520 posts, read 4,746,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think these drones are cool and would like to get one for my real estate business but they are also becoming a menace. They are violating privacy, trespassing and threatening aircraft.
If you want to make a million bucks come up with a cheap means to take them down like a ray gun, EMT pulse generator or something that simply disrupts the radio signal.

Iran already beat you to it.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 AM

165 posts, read 139,212 times
Quote:

Old 01-29-2015, 09:18 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,501,470 times
Quote:

I'm going to say what I keep hearing over and over again about other privacy concerns..."If you're not doing anything wrong what's to worry about"?

I had a quad-copter just like the one that landed at the White House. They are fun to fly, can go an amazing distance away from the operator (as long as you're using FPV equipment) and can return home if there's a break in communication.
A couple of notes to those who are concerned about them spying... First, they are NOT quiet. You will certainly hear them coming unless they're up high. Most do not have zoom lenses so if up high enough that their sound is not audible the picture wouldn't show much detail, more of a high google maps shot. At 50 feet (still audible) the picture showed people that looked like the size of a small dog.

Problem is, there are foolish people who do stupid things with them giving the rest of the owners a bad reputation.
This current fool was drinking and decided to play with his which resulted in it's accidentally crashing on the W.H. lawn. OOOPS! That little stunt cost him at least $800 as I doubt they're going to give it back to him.
Other idiots have flown them into fireworks shows and near aircraft. Just like any new "toy/tech" there's going to be growing pains and idiots until it's all figured out.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:48 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,883,561 times
Just wait until one gets sucked into a jet engine and causes the airplane to crash.

Near Mid-Air Collisions With Drones

They're supposed to stay at least 5 miles from an airport and under 400 feet in elevation.

Quote:
Air Canada Rouge Flight 1837, an Airbus 319 arriving from Toronto, reports a “disk-like” drone passing within 20 to 40 feet of the aircraft while at 3,000 feet, 10 miles northwest of Phoenix.

Old 01-29-2015, 02:57 PM

421 posts, read 309,832 times
WOW! Something needs to be done like yesterday or there will be some airline casualties. Laws to disallow drones from airports, government buildings...should help!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:15 AM

22,947 posts, read 21,501,470 times
Something was done "like yesterday", actually about 3 months ago. DJI, the manufacturer of the Quad Copter that is the subject of this thread put out an update to it's control software that stops the 'copter from taking off or flying near certain class airports. The airports are on the FAA list of major airports so that's how they were chosen.
Rumor is they're updating again to add certain buildings now as well.
As with anything else there's always going to be stupid people as well as people bent on nefarious actions.
I know when I got mine and looked into the larger ones the first thought that came to mind was "just wait until some bad guy uses one to deliver bombs,drugs,guns, etc."

Old 01-30-2015, 08:30 AM

10,291 posts, read 4,137,143 times
Don't go drinking and droning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events