U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:03 AM

11,354 posts, read 7,403,434 times

Advertisements

I have not decided whether Islam is a violent, intolerant religion or the religion of a violent, intolerant people.
Doesn't matter much, I guess. The result is pretty much the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 07:58 AM

13,642 posts, read 8,664,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I was responding to the usual false assumptions perpetuated by many that NO Muslim groups ever speak out against terrorist attacks and the like.

They certainly do speak out.
Yeah, they “speak out” when other Muslims are beheaded by the hundreds in the name of Islam. But when somebody draws a cartoon, they poor into the streets, set cars on fire and act like maniacs. Why can’t they do the same?

Old 01-28-2015, 08:16 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,010,168 times
When I saw the preview for the film I immediately said "That is one I will be skipping". I know nothing about the anti-arab part which sucks if it is there because in this time we need bridges to close divides, but I just am sick of propaganda to get "our boys" to enlist to fight the wars of the rich.

It makes me sick!

Old 01-28-2015, 09:26 AM

18,542 posts, read 13,678,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yeah, they “speak out” when other Muslims are beheaded by the hundreds in the name of Islam. But when somebody draws a cartoon, they poor into the streets, set cars on fire and act like maniacs. Why can’t they do the same?
Or go on murdering rampages. I have never heard of this coming from one other religian When the world can draw Cartoons of Mohammad without the risk of death from Islamist the religian as a whole will be at a point where it can get along with the modern world

Last edited by LS Jaun; 01-28-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 01-28-2015, 10:08 AM

5,082 posts, read 12,582,076 times
The more hate that can be universally generated toward Islam, the easier it will be for the non islam world to implement the Final Solution.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:44 PM

7,591 posts, read 5,102,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I have not decided whether Islam is a violent, intolerant religion or the religion of a violent, intolerant people.
Doesn't matter much, I guess. The result is pretty much the same.
Good question. Perhaps it's a little of both, and the religion itself doesn't provide the 'tools' necessary to make it possible for those violent & intolerant people to change & evolve.
I still think many, if not most, terrorists & jihadists are really nothing more than criminals and killers that are using the Islamic religion as an excuse to give their acts some 'legitimacy. Take away the 'cover' of religious jihad, and these people would be no more than rouge killers and mass murderers.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:55 PM

13,642 posts, read 8,664,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Or go on murdering rampages. I have never heard of this coming from one other religian When the world can draw Cartoons of Mohammad without the risk of death from Islamist the religian as a whole will be at a point where it can get along with the modern world
The problem is there is something for everyone in the Koran. There are calls to killings and call to compassion and mercy. I have been told you can find passages that tells Muhammad to look the other way even if they call him names, let alone draw cartoons. It is up to the Islamic scholars to clear this up but they are nowhere to be seen.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:08 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,391,633 times
It's a well-acted & well-directed movie, based on an actual, real-life story, as many movies, through the history of movie-making have been. That's all. Move on.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:39 PM

12,989 posts, read 5,399,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The first question that comes to mind is "did you know Chris Kyle?" If not, how do you know his mentality?

Secondly, Chris Kyle and other snipers save many,many soldiers lives not to mention innocents. Whether we should have been in Iraq or not is beside the point and has nothing to do with Kyle or what he did.
Snipers do way more than just shoot people, they find safe routes in and out of areas so the other soldiers have a better chance of staying alive, they do recon and many other things with the only goal to keep OTHERS safe and they do it mostly alone.
It's my opinion that the detractors of this movie are either in denial about exactly what/who we're fighting or, sympathize/agree with the radical muslim ideals.

In one or two cases the vocal detractors are just blow hard wind bags who are trying to make themselves relevant again after thankfully fading into obscurity.
Just the other day the nightly news did a segment on Obama attending a parade in India and the security nightmare it was for the Secret Service. They were running down a list of all the extraordinary security measures they were taking to keep Obama safe in such a public venue, and one of them was 1,000 snipers on rooftops along the route. We've all seen snipers walking all around the White House roof. Obviously snipers do save lives.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:55 PM

12,989 posts, read 5,399,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Could you please provide some links?
Look at what the Egyptian president said in response to the Paris attacks. It was a pretty amazing speech.

Sisi | War on Terror | Copts, Pope | Egypt Leads the Way

Egyptian President Sisi: Muslims Need To Reform Their Religious Discourse

Jonah Goldberg: Islam reformer being ignored

Muslim community responds to Paris attack - Anne Michaud - Newsday

Generally you will find a lot of Muslims speaking out against attacks, and let's face it, Muslims bear the brunt of attacks by Muslim extremists. Not in the Australia or Paris attacks, but generally speaking. I've heard a lot of Muslims in the United States speak out against attacks as well. It's common, though really does nothing to stop the violence. Muslim extremists listen to them as much as they listen to us, which is not very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events