U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 08:06 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,504,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
WOOW the guy that shot the dog needs a bullet in his head.
Is it wrong to protect your dog??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 AM

1,328 posts, read 701,116 times
I hope he gets charged and pays for what he did. I can't believe his name wasn't released to the public. Easy enough to find out, though maybe not until the investigation is over, since police incident reports are public record.

I would have wanted to shoot the shooter if it were my dog. Not to kill, just a groin shot, but I don't bring my gun to the dog park.

I am so sick of the ignorant idiots who are so uneducated about dog breeds. ANY breed can attack or bite.

The only dog park attack I witnessed was a lab that bit a pit twice before anyone could separate them. The lab came running up to the pit who was minding her own business and jumped her from behind almost ripping her ear off.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:46 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. The article was quite biased. I would be a lot more sympathetic if the owner himself hasn't admitted the dogs were having an "interaction." An interaction? He didn't even try to downgrade it to "playing." Not only that, but the dog was a "Staffordshire Bull Terrier." The other owner kicked Diesel as well in an obvious attempt to try to keep Diesel away from his dog.

I had a situation like that with a Pit in a dog park myself. A lady brought her Pit Bull to the park, and that dog was acting very aggressively, following other dogs around, (including my Great Dane puppy), snapping at them, growling at them, and biting their ankles. The owner did nothing about it, except occasionally whine to the dog, "(Name), stop it! Don't do that!" She didn't even remain close to the dog's location as it roamed the park, so of course the dog ignored her and just did it again. I got in a shouting match with the woman and told her if she didn't remove her dog immediately I would call Animal Control. She called me various unsavory names, but finally left the park.
Indeed. An "interaction", huh ? That's pretty...broad. I've had "interactions" with this type of dog before, myself. They don't differentiate between male and female dogs when they wish to show dominance, they "bull" straight in. I've only had one dog in my life that had aggressive tendencies. I would have laughed at the notion of taking him to a dog park. The hayfield , to go rabbit hunting? Sure! Dog park?...ummmm no. Pass, thanks.

Thing is, people need to understand, ANYTHING can happen. Your big, lovable, "baby" , who wouldn't ever bite anything, can, and will, do just that. Dogs don't live by human rules, human rules are FORCED, or enforced, or both. Its up to the owner, to ensure he/she has their animal in a controllable state. Certain breeds of dogs should NEVER be taken into public places off a leash. Dog parks are fine, for Poodles , Jack Russels, Beagles and Corgis. Not Pits and Akitas.

Large breed males, "interacting", off leash, is begging for trouble. I don't care a fart in a high wind how big a baby your Pit, Akita,Husky or whatever, is, with you at home. An off leash situation , with other large breeds, is a recipie for them to pull a 180. This story is sad. But, the ending was quite predictable, from page one.

Last edited by NVplumber; 01-28-2015 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-28-2015, 09:12 AM

15,908 posts, read 9,643,939 times
I have a story here. My next door neighbors had a shepherd dane mix. He was a big dog, and loved people. He was however; an alpha dog, and didn't care much for other dogs in the neighborhood. Sure he had a few he got along with, but not many. My neighbor made sure though that he was well trained, and you would think he was a police dog the way he listened on command. He always made sure to avoid other dogs. On two occasions while walking him he had a run in with other neighbors' dogs that had gotten lose. One was a boxer that proceeded to go after my neighbor's dog. After several passes, and several attempts to attack my neighbor's dog who by then was trying to defend himself, due to his dog being big my neighbor had to drop the leash and said "get him!" Well, of course my neighbor's dog got the better end of the deal. The other neighbor who's dog got his a** kicked was quite cool about it and said to his dog "you stupid idiot, don't you know when you're getting your a** kicked!" Given his dog got out without a leash, you cannot fault my neighbor who did have his dog on a leash. The second instance was another neighbor on the block who's dog was a mutt. She has 2 young girls that always walk it, and they have a tendency to not be careful, and so the dog gets lose. This dog attacks my neighbor's dog while he is walking it on a leash, and then grabs the dog by the throat. The owner comes out, and says "please don't kill my dog." Again, nothing transpired, because you can't blame my neighbor for having his dog on a leash, and then getting attacked by a dog that isn't on a leash.

On a 3rd occasion there was an older gentleman in the neighborhood, who would come up on the porch. He was a retired LE that supervised ex-cons, and drug dealers. We always called him a NAZI, LOL! He would bring his little mutt (it was a little mutt) on to my neighbor's patio, and then would proceed to with the little dog antagonize my neighbor's dog. It was quite subtle at first, and then it became blatant. At any rate, the one day they got into an agrgument because the old guy kept opening up the screen and saying "no it's OK, because if your dog attacks me, or my dog, then I'll be gettin paid" In fact he even tried to push my neighbor out of the way to do so, and my neighbor had to push him back with a forearm! The dude actually had the balls to try and open my neighbor's screen door hoping to provoke an attack! My neighbor was like "really? Hey Sparky, come here! Do you really want some of this?" and then opened the screen a few times. The old guy "said that's OK let him come, and we'll see what happens!" With a smirk of course. My neighbor was like "I've got a better idea! How about you, and your dog get the f*** off of my porch!" Thankfully, the dude left! He was all pissy, but he left! Had anything happened, I would have sided with my neighbor, since the other guy was provoking it.

Now, in regards to this story, it's sad that it came down to the dog being shot, but why on God's green earth would you bring a big alpha male type dog to a dog park and not have them controlled? My neighbor would have never put his dog in a position like that, because he knew the dog's personality, and in fact would always go out of his way to avoid other dogs on their walks.

On a side note 2 days after Christmas they had to put the poor boy down due to an aggressive cancer that came on quick. He had just turned 9 in September, and received a clean bill of health, and was built like a brick s*** house! In a couple of short months he wasted away to nothing.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:35 AM

13,341 posts, read 10,902,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
I hope he gets charged and pays for what he did. I can't believe his name wasn't released to the public. Easy enough to find out, though maybe not until the investigation is over, since police incident reports are public record.

I would have wanted to shoot the shooter if it were my dog. Not to kill, just a groin shot, but I don't bring my gun to the dog park.

I am so sick of the ignorant idiots who are so uneducated about dog breeds. ANY breed can attack or bite.

The only dog park attack I witnessed was a lab that bit a pit twice before anyone could separate them. The lab came running up to the pit who was minding her own business and jumped her from behind almost ripping her ear off.
Are you serious? Wait...don't answer that. You damn the guy who shot the dog, and yet, give him the benefit of the doubt, albeit unwittingly, in the next breath. Yes, ANY breed dog can, and will, get aggressive. So you saw a Lab jump a Pit once. So? That has little, or nothing, to do with this incident.

A groin shot, huh? But you wouldn't want to kill the guy. Umm..yea. As you loudly proclaim your hatred of ignorance, the same shines through like a swift sunrise. A groin shot would , quite likely, be painfully fatal. Such statements are just...willfully ignorant. There is NOT enough information to judge anyone here. The only way to have that info, is if one was there, close enough to see, and hear, this "interaction" between the dogs.

Its a good thing you weren't there, and armed. You would be in prison, for a VERY long time. Lethal force is not an option for venting simple displeasure. Besides, its quite possible, that the shooter was justified. The facts aren't all in.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:38 AM

6,964 posts, read 5,187,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
where are the pro gun people?

they should have a great excuse for this one.

shooting of the dog is a 2nd amendment right. he was protecting himself from the aggressive dog. This was not a stupid action, nor was it a sign of stupid person.
Well, you do have a right to protect yourself, but this guy was way out of line. I would qualify as a pro gun type and I think that he should certainly be charged with reckless discharge and probably have is CCW permit taken away. Now, if he had been bitten and his dog had been bitten, then I would feel differently.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:51 AM

13,142 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Exactly. The article was quite biased. I would be a lot more sympathetic if the owner himself hasn't admitted the dogs were having an "interaction." An interaction? He didn't even try to downgrade it to "playing." Not only that, but the dog was a "Staffordshire Bull Terrier." The other owner kicked Diesel as well in an obvious attempt to try to keep Diesel away from his dog.

I had a situation like that with a Pit in a dog park myself. A lady brought her Pit Bull to the park, and that dog was acting very aggressively, following other dogs around, (including my Great Dane puppy), snapping at them, growling at them, and biting their ankles. The owner did nothing about it, except occasionally whine to the dog, "(Name), stop it! Don't do that!" She didn't even remain close to the dog's location as it roamed the park, so of course the dog ignored her and just did it again. I got in a shouting match with the woman and told her if she didn't remove her dog immediately I would call Animal Control. She called me various unsavory names, but finally left the park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I love our local dog park, and volunteers do a good job at keeping it a nice place to visit. But every once in a while, you'll get people who haven't trained their dogs sufficiently, or don't understand dog park etiquette, or just flat out don't care about other people or other dogs. Those, you steer clear of.
Are you suggesting my approach was the wrong one, and I should have avoided or left the park? I disagree. For one thing, it's not on me to leave the park when someone else has an ill behaved dog and my two dogs and I haven't done anything wrong. But more importantly, no one else was complaining to the owner about her dog's aggressiveness (although I heard other owners talking behind her back), the dog was being aggressive toward numerous other dogs, not just mine, so even if I had left the park with my dogs, it wouldn't have solved the problem. Thus, me, a tiny 5'2" woman, needed to tell the owner, another tiny 5'3" woman, that she and her dog were out of line. Why no one else told her to get the heck out of the park I had no idea, but I was tired of her and her dog's behavior and wanted to prevent any injuries if I could.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:14 AM

21,026 posts, read 15,233,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
So many things going wrong in this scenario:

1. The man (shooter) and his wife came in the dog park and his wife kept her dog on a leash. Bringing a leashed dog into an area that is specifically designated as "off leash" put that dog at a disadvantage in terms of socializing and using the park in the manner in which it was meant to be used. If you don't trust your dog in an off-leash dog park -- DON'T GO TO THE PARK. You can walk ANYWHERE. Although it appears the leashed dog wasn't involved, it does indicate a certain degree of unfamiliarity with the customes of an off-leash park.

2. The man (shooter) and his wife should have left when they felt threatened by Diesel. Was Diesel a "bully"? Were other dogs afraid of him? Had he been terrorizing the park? Or was this just one of those weird reactions some dogs have to some other dog -- they take an "instant dislike" to another dog, through some series of signals that most humans don't see? Usually, fights between dogs at a dog park are between young male dogs (less than two years) who are undersocialized -- but of course, there are exceptions.

3. Neither owner seemed to be very savvy when it comes to dog park etiquette and managing dog behavior. Most dog owners know that it's very dangerous to wade into the middle of a dog fight. "Grab his collar!" Really?! Uh -- no, not unless you want to be bitten. Here's some recommendations from Animal Plant on how to break up a dog fight: Dog Park Drama: What's the Safest Way to Break Up a Dog Fight - The Daily Treat: Animal Planet All dog owners should know how to make a quick "noose" out of their leash to slip over a dogs head and pull taut.

I take my dogs to the dog park two or three times a week. 98% of the time, it's a pleasant hour -- a nice walk for me, the dogs joyously racing around, chasing each other, sniffing new smells, meeting new people barking at squirrels. But occasionally, they are out of sorts -- maybe they are tired, maybe they don't feel good -- and every dog they meet irritates them. Those are the visits that are cut short, and we just go for a walk outside the park. And even more rarely, there's another dog that wants to play King For A Day and decdes to "pick" on my dog. Usually the owner controls them. If not, I figure, "eh, some other time" and just leave. It's supposed to be fun way to exercise -- when it stops being fun, it's time to leave.

This whole story is just one of ignorance on top of stupidity. I think the man SHOULD be charged. And certainly banned from the dog park.
Excellent points here.

It's funny how some people seem more concerned with their need to stand their ground than they are to diffuse a bad situation. Way back when I did take my dogs to the dog park, if they were paid particular negative attention by another dog or dogs, I too left the park.
Some dogs do just rub each other the wrong way and there is no point tempting fate just to make a point.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:21 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,327,150 times
Yep, no more dog parks for me.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:57 AM

7,899 posts, read 3,726,695 times
`

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELw...em-subs_digest
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or