U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 AM

1,844 posts, read 1,165,676 times

Advertisements

Dogs get into the occasional fight at dog parks. Even good dogs who never fight. If you can't handle it, then don't take your dog to a dog park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 01:12 PM

15,387 posts, read 8,686,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Witnesses there who know the dog stated otherwise...
Well, we all know unreliable witnesses are, when they have a connection to one of the parties.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
So many things going wrong in this scenario:

1. The man (shooter) and his wife came in the dog park and his wife kept her dog on a leash. Bringing a leashed dog into an area that is specifically designated as "off leash" put that dog at a disadvantage in terms of socializing and using the park in the manner in which it was meant to be used. If you don't trust your dog in an off-leash dog park -- DON'T GO TO THE PARK. You can walk ANYWHERE. Although it appears the leashed dog wasn't involved, it does indicate a certain degree of unfamiliarity with the customes of an off-leash park.

2. The man (shooter) and his wife should have left when they felt threatened by Diesel. Was Diesel a "bully"? Were other dogs afraid of him? Had he been terrorizing the park? Or was this just one of those weird reactions some dogs have to some other dog -- they take an "instant dislike" to another dog, through some series of signals that most humans don't see? Usually, fights between dogs at a dog park are between young male dogs (less than two years) who are undersocialized -- but of course, there are exceptions.

3. Neither owner seemed to be very savvy when it comes to dog park etiquette and managing dog behavior. Most dog owners know that it's very dangerous to wade into the middle of a dog fight. "Grab his collar!" Really?! Uh -- no, not unless you want to be bitten. Here's some recommendations from Animal Plant on how to break up a dog fight: Dog Park Drama: What's the Safest Way to Break Up a Dog Fight - The Daily Treat: Animal Planet All dog owners should know how to make a quick "noose" out of their leash to slip over a dogs head and pull taut.

I take my dogs to the dog park two or three times a week. 98% of the time, it's a pleasant hour -- a nice walk for me, the dogs joyously racing around, chasing each other, sniffing new smells, meeting new people barking at squirrels. But occasionally, they are out of sorts -- maybe they are tired, maybe they don't feel good -- and every dog they meet irritates them. Those are the visits that are cut short, and we just go for a walk outside the park. And even more rarely, there's another dog that wants to play King For A Day and decdes to "pick" on my dog. Usually the owner controls them. If not, I figure, "eh, some other time" and just leave. It's supposed to be fun way to exercise -- when it stops being fun, it's time to leave.

This whole story is just one of ignorance on top of stupidity. I think the man SHOULD be charged. And certainly banned from the dog park.
1. Only one dog was on leash. The other was off leash, chasing a toy. I go to dog parks sometimes. I don't think for one second that being designated "off leash" means you MUST be off leash. It just means it's allowed.

2. Why should THEY leave if it's not them or their dog that is the issue? Again, while at the park, I am always in the immediate vicinity of my dog. That fact that the dead dog's owner wasn't close enough to deal with the situation speaks volumes. "Under Control" - something you should always have with your dog.

3. Make a noose and slip it on a dog during a fight. Seriously? A whirling mass of dog, and you're going to manage to do that? I don't think so.

I think the woman should be charged. To take a dog that was CLEARLY not under her control is wrong.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:19 PM

7,914 posts, read 3,731,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Dogs get into the occasional fight at dog parks. Even good dogs who never fight. If you can't handle it, then don't take your dog to a dog park.
True, however at what point do you allow your dog to be potentially torn up and/or killed depending on the attacking breed?
I ask because most dogs will respond to an owners command if they are well trained, even if an offending dog is attacking them. Others need to have water squirted, or other accepted non lethal means to break them up.
However SBT's/pitbulls are well known to not disengage an attack, even if you attempt to beat them with a club/baton once they are in a fight. Unlike most other breeds, they will ignore pain and even a survival instinct, and refuse to disengage the attack. They were bred that way, and are the most difficult dog to stop an attack than any other breed I can think of.

`

Old 01-28-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Well, you do have a right to protect yourself, but this guy was way out of line. I would qualify as a pro gun type and I think that he should certainly be charged with reckless discharge and probably have is CCW permit taken away. Now, if he had been bitten and his dog had been bitten, then I would feel differently.
I guess he should have waited until his dog was killed? Or gravely injured? It just takes a split second.

I know, you gun grabbers always think "hugging it out" is a solution, but that's not always the case.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:29 PM

23,916 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPolo View Post
That's a hate crime shooting a defenseless pitbull !
There is no such thing as a defenseless pit bull.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:33 PM

8,520 posts, read 4,742,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Most owners of aggressive dogs claim "they were only playing", or "he just wants to say hi".

I don't frequent dog parks often, but one of the last times I was there, I witnessed a fight that could have been avoided if the owner had realized her dog was a bully that caused an escalation with another dog. Not every dog wants to "play". Sometimes play turns to fights. And sometimes you have to protect your dog, if they might get hurt, by any means possible.
Dogs are animals and sometimes animals fight each other. It's not worth pulling a gun out and discharging it...

Old 01-28-2015, 01:47 PM

21,030 posts, read 15,241,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
1. Only one dog was on leash. The other was off leash, chasing a toy. I go to dog parks sometimes. I don't think for one second that being designated "off leash" means you MUST be off leash. It just means it's allowed.

2. Why should THEY leave if it's not them or their dog that is the issue? Again, while at the park, I am always in the immediate vicinity of my dog. That fact that the dead dog's owner wasn't close enough to deal with the situation speaks volumes. "Under Control" - something you should always have with your dog.

3. Make a noose and slip it on a dog during a fight. Seriously? A whirling mass of dog, and you're going to manage to do that? I don't think so.

I think the woman should be charged. To take a dog that was CLEARLY not under her control is wrong.
Anyone with any real experience with dogs is fully aware that many dogs are threatened when they encounter a loose dog when leashed.
Anyone with half a brain would not enter a dog park with a leashed dog and then not release their dog.
By not releasing the dog, it becomes a) an instigator and b) a captive target.

Seriously, why would anyone enter the dog park and not release their dog? Why not just walk around the outside perimeter instead?

Old 01-28-2015, 01:48 PM

4,514 posts, read 3,777,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Are you suggesting my approach was the wrong one, and I should have avoided or left the park? I disagree. For one thing, it's not on me to leave the park when someone else has an ill behaved dog and my two dogs and I haven't done anything wrong. But more importantly, no one else was complaining to the owner about her dog's aggressiveness (although I heard other owners talking behind her back), the dog was being aggressive toward numerous other dogs, not just mine, so even if I had left the park with my dogs, it wouldn't have solved the problem. Thus, me, a tiny 5'2" woman, needed to tell the owner, another tiny 5'3" woman, that she and her dog were out of line. Why no one else told her to get the heck out of the park I had no idea, but I was tired of her and her dog's behavior and wanted to prevent any injuries if I could.
Actually, I wasn't responding to that part at all. But since you asked: You may be more assertive than I am (and I'm usually pretty assertive ) but in this case, my foremost thought is the safety and enjoyment of my dog and myself. It's a big park, and I can usually move my dog to another part of the park, but sometimes, it's not enough. It's been my experience, in a dog park, that getting angry and yelling doesn't do a whole lot of good unless you are in some position of authority. You've already got an asshat on your hands, or someone who is so clueless that even if you told them kindly, they'd either give you a vacant smile and go, "Oh, ok . . ." and then go back to doing exactly what they were doing (talking on their cell phone or checking Facebook and ignoring the dog) or get angry and tell you to f**k off, it's a public park and they can come if they want. I'd try point out the person and their dog to a park volunteer, if there's one around that day, but otherwise -- "you can't fix stupid."

I've seen two or three "regulars" approach someone together whose dog wasn't playing well with others and try to explain the rules (which are posted). Sometimes it works, but more often then not, the person gets defensive, just like parents of misbehaving children take offense when someone make a suggestion that the behavior needs addressing.

Old 01-28-2015, 02:06 PM

23,916 posts, read 31,144,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I find it funny that this updated story lists the shooters weight and height. Do they expect him to wrestle with the dog or something? Clearly a biased article. The fact that the owners of Diesel did nothing to extricate their dog from the situation tells me all I need to know about what kind of owners they were. Telling someone who is clearly having an issue with "your" dog to just grab it's collar?
Not only that, but clearly the owner of the dead dog is downplaying the whole thing. I mean, it really does sound like there was a considerable "altercation".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or