U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 12:11 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,859,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Marshawn Lynch was forced to go to Media Day at Superbowl 49 under threat from NFL of being fined $500,000 if he didn't.
After sitting down at the table he answered all questions with "I'm here so I won't get fined" over and over again.

Statements from teammates suggest that he doesn't talk much normally (evidentally he's a doer not a talker) and so avoids interviews.

I think it was an interesting solution to make his point of not wanting to talk.

Marshawn Lynch's media day statement: 'I'm just here so I won't get fined' | NFL | Sporting News
Utter nonsense.

A great deal of the NFL's business (and by extension, the salary of the players) is not football but celebrity. What else explains the fact that NFL merchandising (jerseys, etc.) sells to the tune of over $2,000,000,000 (that's two billion) annually? Along with the actual playing of football, celebrity drives ticket sales and viewship, which in turn drives advertising, which drives the massive amount of money that networks pay the NFL for the right to broadcast the games - which is why NFL salaries are so high. And part of that celebrity is ensuring that the media gets to regularly interview players.

Because both the NFL and the players union know this, every last NFL contract contains stipulations requiring players to avail themselves of the media, as allowed by the collection bargaining agreement negotiated between the league and the union.

Marshawn Lynch is being expected to do nothing less than what he agreed to do as an NFL player when he signed his contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2015, 12:11 PM

9,182 posts, read 5,702,917 times
Had he come out in a suit and tie,and humbly said that he doesn't really like public speaking and maybe answered a couple of questions then it would have been okay. They way he represented himself made him look like just another ghetto a_$$ thug that makes too much money for throwing a ball around. Show some frickin respect for yourself, your team and the game.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:29 PM

170 posts, read 106,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
just another ghetto a_$$ thug that makes too much money for throwing a ball around.
Do you know anything about football? Lynch is a running back so he runs with it or catches it. By the way, a majority of the time, a QB is the one that throws it.

Quote:
Had he come out in a suit and tie,and humbly said that he doesn't really like public speaking and maybe answered a couple of questions then it would have been okay.
If you watched either team at media day yesterday, you may have noticed that none were in business dress. It was not required.

Old 01-28-2015, 03:34 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 24 days ago)

13,437 posts, read 11,936,558 times
Maybe if he had a Teleprompter....

Old 01-28-2015, 03:49 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,207,318 times
I think he's a giant douche.

He is either doing garbage like this or being fined for grabbing his crotch on the field in the face of opponents.

He DID make sure to wear his hat with his clothing brand on it during the "interviews" though.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:44 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,886,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Had he come out in a suit and tie,and humbly said that he doesn't really like public speaking and maybe answered a couple of questions then it would have been okay. They way he represented himself made him look like just another ghetto a_$$ thug that makes too much money for throwing a ball around. Show some frickin respect for yourself, your team and the game.
Lol, you sound jealous.

I don't have a problem with what he did, he technically is answering the questions, there's no law or rule on how you're supposed to answer them.

Do any of you even watch these interviews? They're usually so boring and dry, their questions are either dull or stupid, and all they get in return is your typical coachspeak. "We're excited about the opportunity, So-and-So is a great team, and we just have to go out there and execute our gameplan and make plays." -

Riveting stuff.

Apparently, the NFL is considering fining him for his hat, which is really them finding a way to fine him because they're p****d at how he's answering questions. So funny how they move at the speed of light to fine Lynch, but dragged their knuckles when dealing with Ray Rice.

The NFL Is Actually Considering Fining Marshawn Lynch Because He Wore A 'Beast Mode' Cap

Also, food for thought: Why is it that athletes and coaches are required to speak to the media every week, but the commissioner isn't held to that same standard and can disappear for weeks on end with a peep? If Lynch is required to participate in media week for a game, then the Commish should have to give a weekly presser regarding the current issues in the league (Ray Rice, Adrian Petersen, #ballgate, etc.)

However, I'm not shocked by the double standard here.

Old 01-28-2015, 05:33 PM

27,450 posts, read 15,137,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If I pulled that kind of crap when representing my company, I'd find myself in the unemployment line.
Exactly. Just do your job, dude. I would guess he's well compensated for it.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:29 PM

5,664 posts, read 2,521,589 times
NFL a bunch of absurdly overpaid spoiled brats.
Along with the coaches, managers.

Not to mention the crimes they commit.

I like the "game", not the good ole boys club that has ruined it.

I'm sure there are some NFL players who just want play without the bull crap, but the spoiled brats ruin it.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:36 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,886,806 times
Lol. You guys know why they're "overpaid", right ??

All of you will still be huddled in front of a TV at home or a bar, if not out there in Arizona for the game.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 PM

148 posts, read 116,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
If I pulled that kind of crap when representing my company, I'd find myself in the unemployment line.
That's mainly due to the fact that's he's simply much better at his job than you are at yours. Nothing personal, that's free market economics at work.
Quote:
Exactly. Just do your job, dude.
He already did. It resulted in about 1300 yards, 13 touchdowns, and a Super Bowl appearance. Seems like he's pretty okay at it.

Honestly, I'd rather have an interesting interview like Marshawn, or Ali, or Namath, or even Belichick, where something interesting actually happens, instead of the other 50 million players who just go through the "We're just gonna play hard," "we're going to prepare for them as well as we can," "I'd like to thank God for blah blah blah" motions every press interview. This is entertainment. Why not be entertained?

I can't believe I'm defending anybody on the Seahawks, let alone their best player, considering they testicle-kicked my Broncos in the Super Bowl last year, but man some of you really need to let go of those pearls you're clutching for a minute.

Last edited by Tom Dempsey's Left Foot; 01-28-2015 at 10:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events