U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 07:33 AM

726 posts, read 490,891 times

Advertisements

Lynch is very uncomfortable being questioned by reporters. By his comments, the media asks him the same questions over & over and it seems he has had his words twisted by them before.

If he does better at his job by keeping his thoughts to himself, as his teammates have said, then the nfl commissioner is interfering with Lynch's game which can be detrimental to the Seahawk team, the 12's & the city which is definitely benefiting financially from the Seahawk's success. Since Roger Goodell & Patriot's owner, Robert Kraft are such good friends, it seems very possible the situation with Lynch has become intentional harassment. And isn't it convenient this has over-shadowed deflate-gate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 09:39 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,560,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeeker101 View Post
So he should quit his multi million dollar career in which he would never be fired from, because an average joe on the internet only condones generic, canned response interviews? Get your head out of your butt and use some logic, please?
No, what I (an average JANE, thank you very much), condone is doing what your employer expects of you and pays you to do. In his case, that apparently involves more than playing the game. That also involves interacting with the media.

Old 01-31-2015, 03:53 PM

6,742 posts, read 3,888,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
No, what I (an average JANE, thank you very much), condone is doing what your employer expects of you and pays you to do. In his case, that apparently involves more than playing the game. That also involves interacting with the media.
You flat out just don't get it. He's been in the NFL for 8 years and still employed by a team, so he and no one else here couldn't care less what you condone because you aren't signing his paychecks. He has a skill that millions will pay thousands to see and dozens (GMs and coaches) will pay millions to have, and that skill doesn't include conducting State of the Union-like interviews and speeches.

Btw, your username doesn't make it clear what gender you are, so lose the aggressive tone.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:22 PM

4,338 posts, read 2,273,425 times
Worth thinking about: Entertainment Tonight was one of the media outlets at the press day. They hired gymnast Shawn Johnson to be a 'special correspondent' for the event (for reasons I can't begin to fathom, but I digress). She's approaching players offering a free X-Box console if they would do handstands for her (trained animal tricks I guess, again for reason I can't fathom). Of course there were players that took her up on the offer. Later they showed tape of catching up with Lynch and offering an console if he'd have a word with them. He graciously accepted the X-Box so he could pass it along to his long established children's foundation, thanked them on behalf of the foundation and mentioned that some kid the foundation serves was going to really enjoy the gift. No mention of what other players were doing with their consoles.

Tell me, who is holding the moral high ground in this bit of theatrics?

Old 01-31-2015, 04:49 PM

5,574 posts, read 5,560,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
You flat out just don't get it. He's been in the NFL for 8 years and still employed by a team, so he and no one else here couldn't care less what you condone because you aren't signing his paychecks. He has a skill that millions will pay thousands to see and dozens (GMs and coaches) will pay millions to have, and that skill doesn't include conducting State of the Union-like interviews and speeches.

Btw, your username doesn't make it clear what gender you are, so lose the aggressive tone.
What you don't get is that it has nothing to do with me. I know no one cares what I condone and don't condone. He has a skill that allows him to have a job that involves both playing football and representing his employers in the public eye; a job that pays him very handsomely to fulfill ALL the roles of his position.

I don't know why you're making this about me.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:00 PM

5,368 posts, read 5,739,392 times
These sports reporters take themselves WAAAAAY too seriously.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:55 PM

2,817 posts, read 2,532,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
call out the National Guard...America needs to know the answers to the questions that need to be asked
ROFL
Exactly, if these athletes didn't want to be bothered they should say something like:
If we have a US declared 'drug war' and US troops have been in Afghanistan over ten years, why has the production of heroin output grown exponentially?

I bet the reporters would leave them alone.

Or be creative and entertaining:
Reporter: "How do you feel playing against the Patriots?"
Marshawn to reporter: Ask Tom Brady who sucked the air out of his footballs?
Reporter: "Marshawn, to what do you attribute your success?"
Marshawn: My low profile shoes. (followed by) Have you seen my shoes? Where my shoes at?
Reporter: "How do you think you will do on Sunday in the Super Bowl?"
Marshawn: "My magic helmet will win the game"
Reporter: "What will you do if Seattle wins?"
Marshawn: "Buy all my teammates a bowler hat"

Actually, Marshawn should use this as his response...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySUQvYtLnRk

Old 01-31-2015, 08:39 PM

2,634 posts, read 1,036,892 times
The NFL and the media know that Lynch does not want to talk, yet they insist that he should. There are I believe 53 guys on the roster, yet they pick on Lynch over and over again. There are about 10 players on Seattle who are willing to talk forever to the press but what about the other 42 guys who are never asked anything and never get to say anything? Why don't the media and the NFL go after these other teammates who most likely would be glad to be in the spotlight. Why keep asking Lynch questions that he will not answer. I think this has more to do with the media than with Lynch.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:45 PM

240 posts, read 186,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Marshawn Lynch was forced to go to Media Day at Superbowl 49 under threat from NFL of being fined $500,000 if he didn't.
After sitting down at the table he answered all questions with "I'm here so I won't get fined" over and over again.

Statements from teammates suggest that he doesn't talk much normally (evidentally he's a doer not a talker) and so avoids interviews.

I think it was an interesting solution to make his point of not wanting to talk.

Marshawn Lynch's media day statement: 'I'm just here so I won't get fined' | NFL | Sporting News
I found that offensive, if you "have"to be there ,you should also "have"to participate,not mock the ordeal

Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 AM

5,849 posts, read 3,125,234 times
I remember after a Super Bowl Raiders cornerback Lester Hayes was finally caught by an interviewer in the winners locker room while the network was still with the post game coverage. It turned out that he was a massive stutterer and I felt bad that I was part of the audience he was forcibly outed to. His team pays him to play ball. That helps his team win and sell local tickets. If the league wants to force interviews, possibly to get a share of jersey and other licensed gear sales there should be a separate contract for talking that free people can choose to accept.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events