Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:57 AM

299 posts, read 263,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I remember my mom telling me how my grandmother and her friends, all who had emigrated to the US from Latvia via the UK wrote postcards to the President during WWII. They wrote about the concentration camps and the tortures taking place in Europe. They wrote about people being taken away at night. They wrote to the newspapers and their congressmen. Anyone they thought might help. There was no Internet, no TV newscasts, no Twitter. There was only the radio and newspapers but these things weren't reported so very few people outside of where the atrocities took place knew about them. Perhaps just those with relatives who disappeared in the night were aware. Our president knew. Our leaders knew. But they didn't speak up. The difference between then and now is that with all our modern technology, we know what's going on all around the globe today. We can't say we don't. No excuses. It's a more violent world perhaps but it's a more aware world. Which is winning, good or evil? It's hard to say. Often we speak out. Sometimes we try to help those in trouble. But it never seems to be enough. The Holocaust survivors are still speaking out not only about what happened to them but about what is still happening all over the world. If we can't do anything about it, we should at least pay attention.
Thank you for the excellent post! The points you made are salient, because we do see this happening again ... the media seems to supress it many times, but at times stories show up that show that its beginning...to Jews, to Christians, to darker-skinned people, people with obesity diseases (yes, diseases--some with Jewish heritage and other specific backgrounds have problems with lipid build up that does not properly "work" out), and so on.
The article below deals a Jewish woman who is a survivor (she's in her 80's now; she was a child when sent to the work camps). What is a little less "average" (forgive me for using this term, please) is that she became a Christian during her childhood.
She sees many of the same things happening here in the US that happened in Russia and Germany before the Holocaust was in full place. Here is a little of her story:
Holocaust survivor booted from public schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 09:04 AM

Default Those who don't know History...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Those who don't know history are destined to repeat it. -- Edmund Burke
Sad but true.
Yes, and you know how History has been dramatically changed for young people to read in their classes!
My wife and I got a very 'average' American education. There was so much we didn't get! But the truth about the Holocaust was taught in my High School History, though my wife does not believe it was taught in hers (we are only 4 years apart; and her high school was in a different state than mine).
It took home schooling our own 3, and then reading, reading, reading and sifting, sifting, sifting to begin understanding things. Admittedly, we are still reading and sifting.
Perhaps each of us on this board can be part of that re-education process for those we can touch.
God bless!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:10 AM

Huffington Post has this to say:
3 Films, 70 Years and Still Holocaust Denial*|*Jane Wells

Old 01-31-2015, 09:19 AM

And from the United Kingdom, the Telegraph reports:
Holocaust memorial day: survivors' stories 70 years on - Telegraph

Old 01-31-2015, 09:30 AM

BBC produced this riveting documentary a few years ago. It must be told, as well as the Holocaust of the third Reich. This Holocaust was against the African people by the second Reich:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuCYLKHj6j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwVcOQOMfmA

Let us not forget this!

Old 01-31-2015, 09:46 AM

Margaret Sanger inspired Adolph Hitler!
Eugenics and the Holocaust of American Black people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYNFoB3d0P8

Old 01-31-2015, 09:48 AM

Angry Eugenics for the "Undesirables"

Home of free?
Eugenics on all "weak" people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaH0Ws8RtSc

Old 01-31-2015, 09:58 AM

Eugenics within our lifetime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nshj9rCTPdE

Old 01-31-2015, 10:19 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
Sure it can happen again, one madman and a bunch of sheep is all it takes. Hatred and fear are horrible things. There are some who doubt the Holocaust happened and those are the scariest to me. Ignorance is a feeding ground for hatred like that. Some feel it's OK to torture others. Look at Guantanamo.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:41 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,438,426 times
Unfortunately ignorance is rife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events