Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:20 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times

Advertisements

Author:*Syan Rhodes
Published On:*Jan 26 2015 07:02:49 PM CS

Owner of dog shot at dog park speak out

The Harris County Sheriff's Office is investigating after a man shooting at a local dog park that left a family's pet dead.

Randall Livingston's mother took 2-year-old Diesel, a Staffordshire bull terrier to the dog park at Bay Area Park Sunday morning.

"He was always happy, not aggressive," Livingston said.

But what was supposed to be a day of dog play turned deadly when Diesel and another dog had what Livingston describes as an "interaction," Witnesses told Local 2, the dogs appeared to be playing together when the other dog's owner kicked Diesel and then shot him 3 times.

Owner of dog fatally shot at dog park speaks out | News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post

The Harris County Sheriff's Office is investigating after a man shooting at a local dog park that left a family's pet dead.

Randall Livingston's mother took 2-year-old Diesel, a Staffordshire bull terrier to the dog park at Bay Area Park Sunday morning.

But what was supposed to be a day of dog play turned deadly when Diesel and another dog had what Livingston describes as an "interaction," Witnesses told Local 2, the dogs appeared to be playing together when the other dog's owner kicked Diesel and then shot him 3 times.

Horrible and one of the many reasons I do not frequent dog parks with my pets.

A similar incident here in Colorado, although in that case, the dog was stabbed and is expected to recover.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:31 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
I guess I depends on the "interaction". If there are wounds on the shooter's dog to back up a story of his dog being attacked, then so be it, the aggressive dog is dead. If there are no wounds and it is determined that the dogs were just playing, then the shooter is in some trouble.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:34 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times
One of a million reasons why I don't go to dog parks.

It sounds like the dogs got into a fight resulting in Diesel being shot. I'm not sure the Livingstons have a leg to stand on with this one. Staffies were originally bred to be fighting dogs, so even if Diesel had good temperament, he really shouldn't have been allowed to play with strange dogs. It's the owners' responsibility to keep their dog safe and Diesel's owners set him up to fail.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:44 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
One of a million reasons why I don't go to dog parks.

It sounds like the dogs got into a fight resulting in Diesel being shot. I'm not sure the Livingstons have a leg to stand on with this one. Staffies were originally bred to be fighting dogs, so even if Diesel had good temperament, he really shouldn't have been allowed to play with strange dogs. It's the owners' responsibility to keep their dog safe and Diesel's owners set him up to fail.

Huh?

What the opposite of heaven are you talking about? Evidently, you didn't read the article which says nothing about the other dog but does recount that the owner of the OTHER dog kicked Diesel. Before he shot him three times.

You're making generalities about the dead dog based on opinions entirely unsupported by the facts in that article.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:50 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
I'm just stunned that you all seem to understand what the original post says.

Old 01-27-2015, 01:59 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,972,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post

Most owners of aggressive dogs claim "they were only playing", or "he just wants to say hi".

I don't frequent dog parks often, but one of the last times I was there, I witnessed a fight that could have been avoided if the owner had realized her dog was a bully that caused an escalation with another dog. Not every dog wants to "play". Sometimes play turns to fights. And sometimes you have to protect your dog, if they might get hurt, by any means possible.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times
WOOW the guy that shot the dog needs a bullet in his head.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:53 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,104,962 times
This is one among hundreds of reasons why no one should be using dog parks. Most people are either too ignorant, or incapable of controlling their dogs. The play is just a half beat away from mayhem as different breeds of dogs interact and things can go bad really quickly.

The man who shot the pitbull may feel genuinely threatened for his dog, but this begs the question...why did he bring his own dog to a dog park knowing full well that aggressive dogs may be there? To me, this is a tragic case of stupid on stupid killing.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:01 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Huh?

What the opposite of heaven are you talking about? Evidently, you didn't read the article which says nothing about the other dog but does recount that the owner of the OTHER dog kicked Diesel. Before he shot him three times.

You're making generalities about the dead dog based on opinions entirely unsupported by the facts in that article.
Of course the article doesn't say anything about the other dog, because the article is from the perspective of Diesel's owner. I'm sure the owner of the other dog has a completely different take on the situation.

As far as making generalities, I own pitbulls. I'm fully aware of how badly they're discriminated against which is why I don't put them in situations where they can become scapegoats. If Diesel had been a Lab or a Golden Retriever he probably wouldn't have gotten shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events