Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 10:36 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,287 times

Advertisements

If we are to be attacked by a foreign power it might be via the unprotected Gulf of Mexico and we will need a strategic base the other McDill AFB in Tampa ( if it isn't taken out first)? So we better hold on to our original arrangement and stay in Guantanamo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 10:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Trusting, of course, that Raul will let you leave. Personally, I'm not interested in giving those clowns a dime of my money, or becoming a hostage to their demi-Stalinist landfill.

You want moronic? Try a floating garbage dump that keeps its own citizens prisoner and forbids dissent. There is no reason to contribute to the stability of such a regime. Obama is a gullible fool.
I think you are the gullible one. Goodness, it is one big joke. Do you realize we are the only country in the WORLD with all this going on with tiny Cuba? There is not ONE other country with trade embargo and not allowing us to visit if we want to. It is a disgrace. Really, you need to at least do some reading on it all. The only thing we are doing it making people suffer in Cuba. Obama is spot on. Actually if you look at most of Obama's decisions he did a VERY good job. Look what he was handed. Talk about a joke. One big Haliburton mess. You can't have an oil man as a president.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Saudi Arabia does the same and even worse, yet every US president goes over there to pay homage to the king, and sells them billions of dollars worth of arms.
Two wrongs do not make a right.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:09 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think you are the gullible one. Goodness, it is one big joke. Do you realize we are the only country in the WORLD with all this going on with tiny Cuba? There is not ONE other country with trade embargo and not allowing us to visit if we want to. It is a disgrace. Really, you need to at least do some reading on it all. The only thing we are doing it making people suffer in Cuba. Obama is spot on. Actually if you look at most of Obama's decisions he did a VERY good job. Look what he was handed. Talk about a joke. One big Haliburton mess. You can't have an oil man as a president.
You can visit Cuba any time you want. No one is stopping you. You're the one who needs to read up.

Are you arguing the only the USA's embargo is keeping the Cubans in poverty and misery? What a laugh. The people in Cuba suffer because of their asinine government. And Obama just threw the Castros a lifeline. He's an ignorant fool for propping up a dictatorship.I thought the liberal Democrats were opposed to that sort of thing...

And although your irrelevant ranting about oil is a hopeless non sequitur, remember that Halliburton and the oil people have gotten gas prices down to a buck sixty. Why else do you think Obama's approval numbers are up? John Kerry's skill at foreign affairs? LOL

Old 01-29-2015, 11:14 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Why does Castro meed Gitmol, anyway? His whole country is a giant prison already. No one can leave, surf the internet, or speak freely. He and his corpse of a brother can throw any dissenters in jail --- or worse. They're a couple limp-dictators. Real gay caballeros.

What Obama has mind dealing with these geriatric thugs escapes me. They were content to stew in their own sour little garbage pile. Why throw them our spare change to keep Frick and Frack in power?
Guantanamo Bay was given to the USA by the Cubans after we helped them win their independence from Spain. It is one of our oldest forward naval bases, has been used for over 100 years as a training base, and still retains all the value as a forward base it had when we got it.

I seriously doubt any president will ever give Gitmo back. The prison compound is only a tiny and remote part of the base. It could be demolished at any time, if the prison became a sticking point in negotiations, and it's 2/3 empty now.

I also don't think any President will be willing to pay reparations to Cuba either, for sure not up front. If full relations are restored, future Presidents may agree to paying reparations, but only after Cuba lives up to its end of the deal on the restored relations.
Since Cuba is vulnerable to hurricanes, it might be wise for the Cuban leaders to forgo asking for formal reparations, and settle for post-hurricane assistance. A strong helping hand can create longer lasting relationships than some negotiated settlement done when times are good.

Personally, I think the wisest direction for the US is to take it slow. Establish a consulate before an embassy; allow a little trade. Learn what is happening in the Cuban government. Learn the worst and best of what's happening and the people who are the most important.

There is no need to rush into an embassy and full-tilt relations. I think a bit at a time is the best approach for both countries, with full relations being the eventual goal for both.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:41 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
This is why Communism doesn't work. If you want to buy our base, you have to offer to pay for it. You don't get it and then expect money as well.

If there's going to be any joining of Gitmo and Cuba, it should occur after the US annexes the entire country.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:10 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
As to hypocritical, we do not imprison or kill those who disagree with the administrations politics.
Whistleblower Edward Snowden would no doubt disagree with you.

Old 01-30-2015, 02:14 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh yeah. Cuba is just dying to get their hands on all those marvelously strong rubles. One Sandals resort will put more hard currency in Cuba's coffers than any number of Russian bases, and they know it.
LOL! Would that be denominated in $$s and junk status determined by a US ratings agency. The relative worth of fiat currency is pointless. I suggest that you stop getting your info from the US press and go take some time to figure out the scam behind that.

Meanwhile Russia commands 1/6th of the entire planet's resources. Cuba no doubt knows the real worth of paper with a picture of a dead president on it.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:07 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
You are trying to mix apples and oranges.

As to hypocritical, we do not imprison or kill those who disagree with the administrations politics.
I needed a good laugh, and I owe you one! Remember, there's any number of ways for the government to kill you, or end up sending you to an insane asylum!

Read the chapter on Red Scare I during the early 1920's, and report back to me! Or read a bio of J. Edgar Hoover! You read that, and you'll want to relocate to Cuba!

Old 01-30-2015, 03:39 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,805,387 times
I think Raul is putting these things on the table as bargaining chips, and I don't think he believes he will get them. He is just hoping they will help him do better in the negotiations. However he did not consider how much offense we may take to these demands, and they put the whole thing in jeopardy. Clearly he is an amateur. Of course our dictator, whoops did I say dictator, I meant "leader", is also an amateur. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events