Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Wednesday 28 January 2015

Cuba’s President Raúl Castro has demanded that the United States return the US base at Guantánamo Bay, lift the half-century trade embargo on Cuba and compensate his country for damages before the two nations re-establish normal relations.

Raúl Castro demands that US return Guantánamo base to Cuba | World news | The Guardian
Political talk... we don't know yet what his real intentions are.

I do hope both countries normalize their relations. There is really no good reason to keep the cuban embargo as we do business with horrible countries like Saudi Arabia.

People in Miami are divided. Most non cubans like me want the US to end the embargo. I know some cubans who also are tired of this nonsense and not all are "recently arrived rafters"

Cuban Senator Marco Rubio, and congressmen Ileana Ros-lehtinen and the Diaz-Balart brothers keep this cuban exile talk in Washington. I have to put up with their cuban exile BS every time I watch local news. "Dictator Fidel blah blah"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Over a century ago, we had the opportunity to buy Cuba, $10 million I believe was the price, and, at the time, we didn't want to go in debt to buy it! One of the biggest mistakes we ever made!

Just think what a different country it would be today if it weren't for the Louisiana Purchase, or the Gasden Purchase!

I'm all for returning Guantanamo Bay to Cuba, with one proviso, they demolish that Cheney torture chamber of a prison first!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Correct. It would be nice if the US would lead by example instead of being a bully. There are times to muscle up and this isn't one of them. Goodness, the moronic embargo is over 50 years old! What kind of country does that to others and then in turn does TONS of business with China? It is really sick! End it all and lets all go to a Cuban beach and smoke a cigar for goodness sake!

Another naïve absurd comment.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Raul is NOT Fidel.
Give this more time, when Fidel dies. 1 and 2 will happen. 3 will disappear from the bargaining table. Cuba will be like the Bahamas by 2020, for better or worse.
Yeah, he is soooo much better.

If you had relatives imprisoned or disappeared under the Castro's you would be better educated on this subject, and would not make such naïve comments.

`

Old 01-29-2015, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
How 'bout we get compensation for all the crooks/murderers they (Cuba) sent over here during the Mariana boat lift?
Well said.

Finally someone with a clue about what happened to South Florida when Castro emptied his jails, and mental hospitals.

Paradise lost.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Basing on this, US have an extremely bad record of human rights abuse (from second world war up to today) and intrusions in foreign countries (is there a South American country where Americans didn't put their hands on?), so playing the "ya r bloody dictator" card is quite hypocritical (and beware, I am not a supporter of Castro).
Again, Guantanamo Bay was literally extorted to a puppet state, pretending that it is an American property "because of treaty" is absolutely rightful, yet it's hypocritical as well: how many treaties have the US infringed? How many Allies have been spied on?
You are trying to mix apples and oranges.

As to hypocritical, we do not imprison or kill those who disagree with the administrations politics. Nor do we strip people of their homes, businesses, etc. at our presidents whim. Obama is the worst president in my lifetime, but he is an angel compared with the brutal/ruthless Castro brothers.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:02 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post

That is one of the most absurd comments I have ever read on this subject, unless you are a total Castro sympathizer.
Even then, an objective person would acknowledge Castro's proposals all favor his dictatorship, not the interests of the American people.

I also wonder why no mention is being made of the return of land, property, assets to all the people and corporations the Castro's pillaged over the years. Why did he not say there should be a full accounting of all the human rights abuses by he and his brother over the last 50 years?
The US doesn't really want to start playing that type of game and you know it. If this is the yard stick that is going to be used as a benchmark the victims of American expansion would take this country to the bank...

Old 01-29-2015, 10:06 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Cuba's in a position of strength. They're brown and they're Catholic and they're Communists. They can have anything they want, and they know it.
What in the hell are you talking about?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
We aren't about to give up Guantanamo...
You do know it's merely rented, right?

Old 01-29-2015, 10:24 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It should be obvious to anyone paying a little attention that Cuba is playing the USA against Russia. Not covered in the decrepit US media is the fact the Russians have been paying attention to Cuba again. On the day that Obama was making a speech about Cuba, Putin had one of their ships used to spy on the USA, dock in Havana. LOL.

As I said earlier, the community agitator is way way out of his league.
Oh yeah. Cuba is just dying to get their hands on all those marvelously strong rubles. One Sandals resort will put more hard currency in Cuba's coffers than any number of Russian bases, and they know it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events