U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 09:23 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,081,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Not new
But probably more common now with the rising tuition costs.

This is just another sign of our times. Greedy investors get their money while people slave themselves either through prostitution or never-ending debt. In a few decades our countries will probably look like the HBO series "Rome" if things continue heading in this direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 10:00 AM

6,461 posts, read 6,103,442 times
Those girls are selling themselves very cheaply. If you are going to stoop to thinly disguised prostitution at least you should be making the big bucks. That's only a little over 30,000$ a year.

Hopefully that's for a couple nights work a month.

They should just get a job as a cocktail waitress in a swanky bar. It's nights and weekends and those girls can make $30,000- $60,000 if they are hot.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:50 AM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 14 days ago)

13,387 posts, read 11,888,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Is there a GPA requirement? I am not going to pay for a C average.
You're not paying for the C, you're paying for the T & A.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:06 AM

9,098 posts, read 5,665,637 times
Pretty sad this is what some have to resort to for an education. Let's just keep raising those tuitions and see if we can make it worse. And of course you need a degree to be considered for pretty much anything now.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:34 AM

2,533 posts, read 2,384,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Pretty sad this is what some have to resort to for an education. Let's just keep raising those tuitions and see if we can make it worse. And of course you need a degree to be considered for pretty much anything now.
From my perspective, higher education should be a part of free public schooling. Having a populace which is broadly-educated should be a government imperative, not something dependent solely upon availability to those who can afford it.

However, none of these individuals "have to resort to" prostitution for an education. This is something they choose to do. It's easier and more lucrative than working in a fast food restaurant or a discount retailer. I don't pass judgement on any of those involved. They have a right to make this choice, but the linkage to economic necessity is tenuous at best.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:37 AM

5,818 posts, read 3,097,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Not new
I was thinking the same. Its no different than the Japanese school girls who did the same for the newest cell phone stories from 20 years ago. Or the student stripper. It does however fly into the face of the political and judicial prejudice that all sex workers are victims of human trafficking and the sentence enhancements often proposed in an effort to suppress commercial sex.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:23 PM

2,957 posts, read 3,195,085 times
Sex vs you buy me a house, a car, diamonds, vacations....

How is this a new concept?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:10 PM

239 posts, read 211,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
From my perspective, higher education should be a part of free public schooling. Having a populace which is broadly-educated should be a government imperative, not something dependent solely upon availability to those who can afford it.

However, none of these individuals "have to resort to" prostitution for an education. This is something they choose to do. It's easier and more lucrative than working in a fast food restaurant or a discount retailer. I don't pass judgement on any of those involved. They have a right to make this choice, but the linkage to economic necessity is tenuous at best.
the problem with free higher education is that it will become more watered down and useless. Free college will just end up with more and more unqualified students on campus who will struggle and take resources away from qualified students. The universities will then make the curriculum even easier because what college wants to have a graduation rate under 25%. Down the road a bachelors degree will be as useless as a high school diploma is today (if it isn't already).

Old 01-31-2015, 05:44 AM

5,368 posts, read 5,722,424 times
When I was in college women were having sex for pretty much everything.... rent money ,car payments, drugs, tuition etc. It's really not uncommon. But the guys weren't whay we called "rich", they were average dudes with great jobs.

Old 01-31-2015, 06:12 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,574,957 times
When I was in school most of my woman friends were having sex for the pure fun of it. Those were good times and better memories.

Trading sex for money or security is as old as humanity. so long as it is a non-coercive arrangement. what business is it to the rest of us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or