Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:58 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,309,203 times

Advertisements

Texas is the one state in the USA headed in the right direction. Teachers should be armed and students should be fair game. Tax dollars paid for those pieces of chalk, bunsen burners and test tubes. If kids, with their game boys and sexting, can't respect that they should pay the ultimate price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 03:15 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,846,093 times
Lawsuit waiting to happen.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:28 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
WOW I think this is really sad and a bad idea. Has our society fallen so far that teachers are afraid of their students? After seeing this past weeks video where the kid attacked his teacher because the teacher took his cell phone away I suppose that it is only a matter of time before some animal kills a teacher.
School is getting to be a joke for many in this country which is sad because around the world there are many kids who would do anything to go to school.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:30 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Lawmakers in Texas are considering a bill that would allow teachers to use deadly force against students.

The Teacher’s Protection Act, filed by Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van), would protect teachers from prosecution for killing students they believe are a threat to other students or anyone else on school grounds.

Texas teachers could be allowed to gun down students to protect school property
How does getting rid of a student that is a threat become "protect school property"?

Old 01-30-2015, 03:35 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Lawmakers in Texas are considering a bill that would allow teachers to use deadly force against students.

The Teacher’s Protection Act, filed by Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van), would protect teachers from prosecution for killing students they believe are a threat to other students or anyone else on school grounds.

Texas teachers could be allowed to gun down students to protect school property
Good! About time!

Old 01-30-2015, 04:44 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Oh Please. The one thing I know is this, I'm far more polite and conscientious when I'm carrying. You don't pull it unless you are threatened, and an "innocent" student isn't threatening - right?

Teachers who carry now are well trained. You'd be surprised at the amount of care and training that goes into carrying a weapon of any kind.
Well, not all people who carry are calm as you claim to be. No matter how much training you receive, you'll never know how you'll react during the real thing.

Georgia man avoids jail after fatally shooting man guided by GPS to wrong driveway

Idaho State Univ. Teacher Accidentally Shoots Self In Class

Utah Teacher Accidentally Shoots Herself In Leg While Using Faculty Restroom

Old 01-30-2015, 05:17 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
You know, I just thank God every day that I didn't take that job in Texas.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:11 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Well, it is Texas... where the locals think you need heavy weaponry to go burrito-shopping...
The media has the world believing that Texas is some remnant of the Wild West where there are shootouts all over the place and no gun laws to speak of. The reality is that Texas is a lot less permissive when it comes to guns than plenty of other states. There is no open carry of handguns here to speak of and for concealed carry we have to be licensed - unlike such far-right states such as Vermont where no license is required. Licensing requires a full-day class and range time, unlike other states where you apply for a license and that's the extent of it.

Old 01-31-2015, 05:45 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Ya have to love Texas ............they don't screw around down there ! None of this mamby pamby pussyfooting around, they get right to the point !

Like comedian Ron White said "Most States are abolishing the death penalty.........Texas is putting in an express lane !!!

Let's face it, schools aren't the safe little schoolhouses most of us grew up in any more. When we started putting police officers in them to keep the peace you know we were in trouble.

Don

Last edited by don1945; 01-31-2015 at 06:04 AM..

Old 01-31-2015, 05:54 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,590 times
I find it ridiculous that some people here are talking about how "those little punks" will start behaving if the teachers are armed - or how they're more conscientious when carrying or when they're around people who have guns.

In other words, supporters of this bill, or any bill similar to it, essentially want a society based almost entirely upon the fear of getting shot.

Here's a novel idea: Why not try actually parenting your kids instead of working 70 hours per week to have the nicest house or the most luxurious car. Why not try giving back to teachers the authority to punish and manage their classrooms. Teachers need to start enforcing the rules against bullying instead of shrugging and pretending that bullying and being bullied "builds character."

But no ... that's too logical. Instead, SOME people want to solve all of our problems by turning America into an arms race between 320 million individuals. That way, we can just kill anyone we even think might pose a threat. We can have untrained teachers waving their gun around whenever the class becomes unruly. Gee, it kinda makes you wonder how on earth we ever managed to have orderly schools before the invention of the firearm. Who cares if one of those "little punks" is accidentally shot because a teacher was defending a 50 year-old movie projector from a mischievous child trying to pull a prank.

Arming teachers only ensures that the teachers will be shot post haste by an armed student who plans on shooting up the school. Unless the teacher already has his gun out, loaded, and with the safety off, an armed student will already have the drop on any teacher.

Who cares about the innocent kids who end up getting killed while behaving because some itchy-trigger-finger teacher misses his target. I bet ricochets off metal desks and cinder-block walls can be real killers.

Hey, I've got nothing against people owning guns to protect themselves and their home - but handing out guns to teachers is a lousy idea. No doubt schools will end up paying out hundreds of millions of dollars each year to replace guns stolen by students - not to mention the untold millions sought by families of slain kids accidentally shot by gun-nut teachers waving around their weapon just to quiet down the students. "Stop talking or you die!"

Passing out guns to teachers in order to prevent school shootings is like trying to cure cancer by injecting yourself with more cancer cells. Hell, I might want to start arming my kids so that they'll be protected from some yahoo teacher and his crazy obsession with guns.

There are better solutions than guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events