U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 05:59 AM

5,466 posts, read 2,310,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
I find it ridiculous that some people here are talking about how "those little punks" will start behaving if the teachers are armed - or how they're more conscientious when carrying or when they're around people who have guns.

In other words, supporters of this bill, or any bill similar to it, essentially want a society based almost entirely upon the fear of getting shot.

Here's a novel idea: Why not try actually parenting your kids instead of working 70 hours per week to have the nicest house or the most luxurious car. Why not try giving back to teachers the authority to punish and manage their classrooms. Teachers need to start enforcing the rules against bullying instead of shrugging and pretending that bullying and being bullied "builds character."

But no ... that's too logical. Instead, SOME people want to solve all of our problems by turning America into an arms race between 320 million individuals. That way, we can just kill anyone we even think might pose a threat. We can have untrained teachers waving their gun around whenever the class becomes unruly. Gee, it kinda makes you wonder how on earth we ever managed to have orderly schools before the invention of the firearm. Who cares if one of those "little punks" is accidentally shot because a teacher was defending a 50 year-old movie projector from a mischievous child trying to pull a prank.

Arming teachers only ensures that the teachers will be shot post haste by an armed student who plans on shooting up the school. Unless the teacher already has his gun out, loaded, and with the safety off, an armed student will already have the drop on any teacher.

Who cares about the innocent kids who end up getting killed while behaving because some itchy-trigger-finger teacher misses his target. I bet ricochets off metal desks and cinder-block walls can be real killers.

Hey, I've got nothing against people owning guns to protect themselves and their home - but handing out guns to teachers is a lousy idea. No doubt schools will end up paying out hundreds of millions of dollars each year to replace guns stolen by students - not to mention the untold millions sought by families of slain kids accidentally shot by gun-nut teachers waving around their weapon just to quiet down the students. "Stop talking or you die!"

Passing out guns to teachers in order to prevent school shootings is like trying to cure cancer by injecting yourself with more cancer cells. Hell, I might want to start arming my kids so that they'll be protected from some yahoo teacher and his crazy obsession with guns.

There are better solutions than guns.
NO..NO..NO...Don't you know that in pro-life Texas anyone with a gun can act as judge, jury and executioner! It's the Texas way. I believe it's even enshrined in its constitution or state motto or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 06:01 AM

5,273 posts, read 8,223,164 times
What a poorly worded and FALSE title. Nowhere in the bill does it say a teacher could "gun down" students to protect school property.

When a so called journalist LIES in the title all their other words are meaningless.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:17 AM

240 posts, read 196,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
What a poorly worded and FALSE title. Nowhere in the bill does it say a teacher could "gun down" students to protect school property.

When a so called journalist LIES in the title all their other words are meaningless.

Because "gunned down" puts the guilt on the victim for defending himself against an attacker.

In fact, I just read a local news article about a "hit and run" accident. In truth, a car skidded on snowy roads and hit the read end of a car that was stopped at a signal light. Happens all the time in NY. The occupants of the stopped car got out and started beating the hell out of the occupants in the other car. The assaulted party jumped back into their car and got the hell out of there. Now the police are looking for those who "fled the scene of an accident". WTF is wrong with our world?

Old 01-31-2015, 07:53 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,762,829 times
the Simpsons: You can't charge a BABY with murder!

Well, maybe in Texas.

Old 01-31-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
I think many of you are missing the point.

If the students know they'll be shot on sight by a teacher for destroying school property, they won't destroy school property. Problem solved! In fact, maybe the punks will start treating their school, teachers and other students with a bit more respect.

So you comment without reading the article? Just going by the misleading headline? You have the nerve to claim others are "missing the point"?

Old 01-31-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
How does getting rid of a student that is a threat become "protect school property"?
It doesn't unless you are in the propaganda business. This isn't a news item, it is leftist propaganda.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:05 AM

240 posts, read 196,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

So you comment without reading the article? Just going by the misleading headline? You have the nerve to claim others are "missing the point"?
Who are you, the Board Nanny? My comment is valid in today's liberal society.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 AM

55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
If u got a weapon and are killing people at your school u r not a student u r not a child
U r a threat to the community we need less threats and less child funerals
Not more counseling over tragedies that should never have happened
The trouble with arming schools is that the thugs that infest them are already armed if u provide the sheep with weapons as well there will be bloodshed which can't be swept under what is already a very lumpy carpet
K12 is the emperors new clothes relived
Little of the thuggery that happens in k12 is reported

Old 01-31-2015, 08:08 AM

20,979 posts, read 15,617,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Lawmakers in Texas are considering a bill that would allow teachers to use deadly force against students.

The Teacherís Protection Act, filed by Rep. Dan Flynn (R-Van), would protect teachers from prosecution for killing students they believe are a threat to other students or anyone else on school grounds.

Texas teachers could be allowed to gun down students to protect school property
While I'm not a proponent of deadly force in all cases, we as human beings have the right to protect ourselves and other innocent people from a danger by any means necessary.

I'd prefer that they use tasers.

Old 01-31-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
Who are you, the Board Nanny? My comment is valid in today's liberal society.
When you claim others are "missing the point" without having read the article yourself? You don't even know what the point IS. Yes, your comment is a valid liberal comment; inane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or