Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 02:23 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Don't forget that obits are usually written by family members or the executor of the estate who has to publish the death notice in at least 2 newspapers.
An obituary and a notice to creditors is not the same thing...the wording is completely different. I'm sure it can vary from state to state, but apparently if the estate is going through probate, the executor must publish a notice to creditors in the local newspaper. (I've seen this type of notice myself in the legal section of my own newspaper.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2015, 02:46 PM

7,079 posts, read 8,941,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was just wondering yesterday what I'll put in my mom's obit, or say at her funeral. IF there is either. She refuses to do any estate planning and says she has the money to pay for her own funeral But really, what do you say about someone who has been difficult, annoying, a burden to everyone around her from about age 50 on, who's only accomplishment is that she hoarded up her house with crap, seems to not care one bit about me, has never contacted me in my adult life unless she directly wanted something, ignored my in my childhood, made me feel bad for earning a college degree and tells me I'm going to hell? Really... what to you say?? Personally, I'm at the point where I don't even want to deal with the aftermath when she dies. And she has no other family. "Oh, she's dead? Thanks for letting me know. Do what you want with her".
Sounds just like my mom, except my mom has taken enough Vicodin to kill Keith Richards.

This was a good one too.

Why I Wrote an Infamously Scathing Obituary for My Mother

Old 01-31-2015, 03:01 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Our culture is irredeemably lookist. All the girls want the obituary to read, "She was so CUUUTE!" What's wrong with pointing out that she was sort of funny looking but charming, ran a neurophysiology research lab at YALE and then became a best selling author who sold millions of books? Did anybody really read the obituary, or just what some snarky feminists said about the obituary?

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Old 01-31-2015, 04:03 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Doesnt seem like they cared about her very much does it????

Old 01-31-2015, 06:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
The Sydney Morning Herald told it like it is, too. By reading this, it is clear that she ticked off some people.

Outspoken writer Colleen McCullough praised by all except literary establishment

Funny that they left out that she's responsible for so many women named Meghann.

Old 01-31-2015, 09:38 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,620 times
Came into this world wearing diapers and went out wearing the same.

Old 02-01-2015, 04:42 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
The Sydney Morning Herald told it like it is, too. By reading this, it is clear that she ticked off some people.

Outspoken writer Colleen McCullough praised by all except literary establishment

Funny that they left out that she's responsible for so many women named Meghann.
That is a very good article that really captures her life and personality.

Old 02-01-2015, 02:19 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
When I wrote my dad's obit, I wrote a story about him. People said it was unusual. He achieved a lot, but I wrote about his earlier years. He lived to be 97. It was the first one I ever wrote, but 3 years later I wrote one for my mother which wasn't unusual, although she also lived to be 97. When I was in graduate school, one of my courses was writing non-fiction. An assignment had been to interview someone and I'd written the paper about my father, so that was the reference for his obituary.

Old 02-01-2015, 06:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I guess see those as Attributes worth noting as a good time woman.

Old 02-02-2015, 10:30 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I can care less what my obit reads. I'll be dead.

I would love to pen my own obit!

Here is another guy wearing a toe tag,
zipped up and laying in the body bag!
He was here for many years,
save your grief and tears!
Now there is more beer for all to drink,
the dead guy certainly doesn't care what you think!
Have a beer, enjoy your day
because this guy has nothing left to say!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events