Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 05:56 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,564,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Not only that, but you mean to tell me that a relatively unknown BLACK MAN went around drugging and raping an endless number of WHITE WOMEN in the SIXTIES, and is still alive today to face all the accusations?!? LOL, yeah right...
Erm… he was VERY well known in the 60s -- released 10 comedy albums that decade -- several of which remain classics -- and appeared on numerous talk shows doing his standup routine. Plus he had the hit series I Spy.

Still… it's hard to fathom how this "alleged" behavior took place for so long with so many, and those who knew about it just looked the other way.

Old 02-05-2015, 06:25 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,518,206 times
Cosby was beloved in the '60's. And it's easy to understand how it happened, he went after the same type of woman every time. He went after those looking for a break, who were vulnerable but trusted him to help them. And typical of the climate, the women blamed themselves. It was their fault. And who would believe that this iconic family man that everyone loved could ever do such a thing? Each woman figured nobody would ever believe them, so they remained silent.

Even going back five years when one woman was talking about it and a second said it happened to her, as well, the story never really got legs.

It's the same type of thing pedophiles, abusers and cultists do.

What's shocking to me is that after so many women coming forward there are still some who doubt this could be possible.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,355,433 times
Look at how long it took Sandusky's victims to come forward.

I know many women who have never come forward due to shame and feeling like they wouldn't be believed about rapes. I am sure many many men don't even tell anyone, and definitely don't come forward if they are assaulted.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:23 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,949,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Look at how long it took Sandusky's victims to come forward.

I know many women who have never come forward due to shame and feeling like they wouldn't be believed about rapes. I am sure many many men don't even tell anyone, and definitely don't come forward if they are assaulted.
Most of Sunducky's victims were young and underaged boys. Cosby's alleged victims were mostly grown women.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
People want to ignore the racial component and how dangerous it was for Black men who were accused harming White women. It doesn't matter how famous he is, he was still a Black man in America, and to think that he could get way with raping all those White women at a time when Blacks could get killed for simply whistling at a White women is outrageous. I think all these allegations are false. Someone behind the scenes is trying to destroy this man by ruining his reputation anyway they can. Some people will do anything for money and these women are no exception.

Oh, please. Sammy Davis, Jr. married a blonde woman and nobody batted an eye because he was Sammy Davis, Jr. In the late 60's and 70's blacks were not being killed for simply whistling at a white woman. You're off with your timeframe.

During the period in question, the public put celebrities on pedestals. We believed what was fed us. Bill Cosby was viewed as a suit and tie family man - extremely articulate and well respected and liked. Nobody was going to believe any woman during this timeframe. They would have viewed it as a shakedown.

When two people accuse someone of something, it's questionable. When more than a dozen do, not so much. When people in the world of comedy come forth and state they have heard stories about this for years, you need to sit up and take notice. And when someone pulls an interview of his with Larry King where he talks about how men love putting Spanish Fly in the drinks of women so they can take advantage of them later, all the pieces of the puzzle start making a very clear picture.

Thinking this was all made up by more than a dozen women is just offensive - and I'm male!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:04 PM

8,631 posts, read 12,949,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Oh, please. Sammy Davis, Jr. married a blonde woman and nobody batted an eye because he was Sammy Davis, Jr. In the late 60's and 70's blacks were not being killed for simply whistling at a white woman. You're off with your timeframe.
How do you know that. Do you represent every Black male that lived in the 1960's and 70's.

Quote:
During the period in question, the public put celebrities on pedestals. We believed what was fed us. Bill Cosby was viewed as a suit and tie family man - extremely articulate and well respected and liked. Nobody was going to believe any woman during this timeframe. They would have viewed it as a shakedown.

When two people accuse someone of something, it's questionable. When more than a dozen do, not so much. When people in the world of comedy come forth and state they have heard stories about this for years, you need to sit up and take notice. And when someone pulls an interview of his with Larry King where he talks about how men love putting Spanish Fly in the drinks of women so they can take advantage of them later, all the pieces of the puzzle start making a very clear picture.

Thinking this was all made up by more than a dozen women is just offensive - and I'm male!
Just because you're male doesn't mean you can't make ridiculous statements like the one you provided. Race has and still is a big deal in this country. He may have been famous but he is still a "Black man" at the end of the day. If those women would have come forward during that time period, he would had been put in jail. I doubt Cosby will be guilty of anything and it would be a shame because his reputation is already ruined even though he hasn't been guilty of anything. The society that we live in is disgusting as so many people nowadays have a barbaric "Salem Witch Trails" type of mentality. It's really sad at what our society has become.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
How do you know that. Do you represent every Black male that lived in the 1960's and 70's.

Just because you're male doesn't mean you can't make ridiculous statements like the one you provided. Race has and still is a big deal in this country. He may have been famous but he is still a "Black man" at the end of the day. If those women would have come forward during that time period, he would had been put in jail. I doubt Cosby will be guilty of anything and it would be a shame because his reputation is already ruined even though he hasn't been guilty of anything. The society that we live in is disgusting as so many people nowadays have a barbaric "Salem Witch Trails" type of mentality. It's really sad at what our society has become.

I know history. You're twisting facts to fit your narrative.

You're the reason women didn't come forward - and it's 2015.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:29 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,214,458 times
Wanting to nail a rapist I understand waiting 30 years to do it I don't
The general trend of taking 2015 laws and using them to judge 1960s crime is disturbing
Much like the injustice of marriage under 1960s law and divorce under 2015 law

Old 02-05-2015, 10:57 PM

9,802 posts, read 11,478,079 times
Quote:
Oh, please. Sammy Davis, Jr. married a blonde woman and nobody batted an eye because he was Sammy Davis, Jr.
Really
Your idea of nobody caring about, interracial relationships in the 60's vs. the rest of America is different
Quote:
In 1957, Davis was involved with Kim Novak, a young actress under contract to Columbia Studios. The head of Columbia studio, Harry Cohn, was worried about the negative effect this would have on the studio because of the prevailing taboo against miscegenation. He called his friend, mobster Johnny Roselli, who was asked to tell Davis that he had to stop the affair with Novak. Roselli arranged for Davis to be kidnapped for a few hours to throw a scare into him. His hastily arranged and soon-dissolved marriage to black dancer Loray White in 1958 was an attempt to quiet the controversy.[SIZE=2][35][/SIZE] In a 2014 BBC documentary it was disclosed that Cohn arranged for Davis to be threatened with having his other eye put out or his leg broken if he did not marry a black woman within 48 hours. At his wedding celebration he became so inebriated that his friend, Arthur Silber, put him to bed. Upon checking later, Silber caught him holding a loaded pistol to his head. The marriage to Loray White was never consummated - Davis having offered to pay her $10,000 to enter into a sham marriage. [SIZE=2][36][/SIZE]
In 1960, Davis caused controversy again when he married white Swedish-born actress May Britt. Davis received hate mail while starring in the Broadway musical adaptation of Golden Boy during 1964–66 (for which he received a Tony Award nomination for Best Actor). At the time Davis appeared in the play, interracial marriages were forbidden by law in 31 US states (but were entirely legal in New York), and only in 1967 were those laws ruled unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court.[SIZE=2][37][/SIZE] Davis and Britt had one daughter Tracey and adopted two sons.[SIZE=2][1][/SIZE] Davis performed almost continuously and spent little time with his wife. They divorced in 1968, after Davis admitted to having had an affair with singer Lola Falana. That year, Davis started dating Altovise Gore, a dancer in Golden Boy. They were married on May 11, 1970, by the Reverend Jesse Jackson. Kathy McKee replaced Altovise in Davis's nightclub act. They adopted a son, Manny, in 1989. Davis and Altovise remained married until his death in 1990.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:01 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,006,523 times
Quote:
Cosby was beloved in the '60's. And it's easy to understand how it happened, he went after the same type of woman every time. He went after those looking for a break, who were vulnerable but trusted him to help them. And typical of the climate, the women blamed themselves. It was their fault. And who would believe that this iconic family man that everyone loved could ever do such a thing? Each woman figured nobody would ever believe them, so they remained silent.

Even going back five years when one woman was talking about it and a second said it happened to her, as well, the story never really got legs.

It's the same type of thing pedophiles, abusers and cultists do.

What's shocking to me is that after so many women coming forward there are still some who doubt this could be possible.
"Possible" is not evidence.

It's "possible" you're a rapist. Should the cops harass you based on "possible"? Or wouldn't you want them to actually have some proof first?

If you're a male, would you want to lose your job because you hugged someone and they screamed rape? Guess what - you're not going to be believed, she is. Simply because she claimed a thing.

There are NUMEROUS stories about women who make claims about being raped, about being assaulted, about being abused, about being kidnapped, etc...only to recant later, or where the police discover that the women lied because they were mad about something. Don't just take my word for it, read for yourself.

https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=U...nts+rape+claim

I will stand by my belief, since nobody else in this country does. Same deal with OJ. Same deal with Casey Anthony (unfortunately). Same deal with Scott Peterson.

I want evidence. CLEAR evidence. Not circumstances.

OJ had a lot of circumstantial evidence against him. Half of it was planted. Taints the rest. Means there wasn't enough in the first place and they had to make it up as they went. You'll never convince me that a near 50-something man with arthritis managed to kill a 20-something trained martial artist yet was not in the least bit injured in the face. I know he was at the scene (the shoes), I know he knows who did it (because if he was at the scene and didn't stop it, he was either complicit or showed up too late to do anything, handled the bodies and then freaked out). I just don't buy that he did it.

Casey Anthony had a LOT of circumstantial evidence against her. None of it was planted. Too easy to believe she killed her daughter especially with smear campaigns with the partying. But not a sheer lick of specific, direct, damning evidence except for the cadaver in the car trunk - which does NOT prove she killed the kid, only that she was in possession of the dead body (which is still a crime, but one the ignorant prosecutors failed to charge her with).

Scott Peterson's ironic. You simply have to laugh at just how much circumstantial evidence there was against this man, yet there was never a single iota of evidence directly proving that he killed his wife, only that he was somehow involved (but "somehow" is not chargeable). Yet the man is on death row for the simple fact that "there's so much circumstantial that we just don't see how he couldn't have done it". Flies right in the face of reasonable doubt and it's wrong.

I have not seen ANY evidence that Bill Cosby raped a woman. As Rosie Perez aptly said, maybe he did. Problem is, nobody knows for sure, and "but so many women are claiming it!!!" should not be a free pass to prosecute him. It's circumstantial.

Proof. Evidence. Where is it? A paper trail showing payola? A manager or associate who will swear under oath that they bought the drugs under Cosby's name and can produce the proof? A drug test taken however many years ago? A confession to a priest or a therapist (which CAN be divulged if the victim says it's okay)? ANYTHING?

Nothing. And until I see SOMETHING, I don't consider him guilty, and won't. Once I see something that clearly proves he did something to someone (or many someones), I'll stand right there clamoring for him to do jail time. Until then, he's just an old man doing comedy for the rest of his days, in my eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events