U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:28 AM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The number of accusers is neither here nor there. Especially in a case like this, where there is the possibility of a copycat effect. What matters is that there is ONE accuser with solid evidence, and as far as I know, we don't have that.

If Cosby raped 25 women, doesn't it seem probable that at least one of them would have gone to police, gotten him charged, and wound up with a conviction? Maybe the more accusers, the less likely he did any of them.
No. It doesn't seem that way to me.

After reading these threads about the accusations against Bill Cosby - and the way people come flocking to impugn and slander these women - it immediately becomes glaringly obvious why so many refused to come forward until a comedian brought the not-very-secret-within-the-entertainment-community actions of Bill Cosby to light, until they realized they were not alone.

They knew full well that they would be called liars, money-seekings, attention hounds, sluts - and in these threads, one poster after another validates their concerns.

That's one of the compounding factors of rape - after the rape, the victim is questioned and suspected and maligned endlessly.

The simple fact is that rapists have as many, if not more, allies than do rape victims.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:42 AM

7,742 posts, read 5,326,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
No. It doesn't seem that way to me.

After reading these threads about the accusations against Bill Cosby - and the way people come flocking to impugn and slander these women - it immediately becomes glaringly obvious why so many refused to come forward until a comedian brought the not-very-secret-within-the-entertainment-community actions of Bill Cosby to light, until they realized they were not alone.

They knew full well that they would be called liars, money-seekings, attention hounds, sluts - and in these threads, one poster after another validates their concerns.

That's one of the compounding factors of rape - after the rape, the victim is questioned and suspected and maligned endlessly.

The simple fact is that rapists have as many, if not more, allies than do rape victims.
Not really... Look at the Kobe Bryant case, for instance...

Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 PM

3,750 posts, read 2,904,872 times
Its not like these alleged rapes supposedly happened last week, last month, or last year. They happened decades ago. Why did it take them so long to come forward with this?

Thats the issue I have with it all.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 PM

2,056 posts, read 1,837,055 times
As a parent of 2 daughters, I never want to be in the camp of saying that it is a woman's fault when she is raped.

But when will women use their god-dam brains and realize that wealthy, famous athletes, entertainers, or the like, are used to getting what they want? No doesn't mean "no" to them. Often times, they have never been told NO.

And if a woman doesn't say no, these are the types of scoundrals who will take that as a YES.

Bill cosby did it, and he should pay the price for it. The last thing I want is a world full of women who are afraid to be near a man. I don't want my daughters to hate men. I DO want my daughters to never put themselves into a position where a man can take advantage of them.

Use your dam heads and exercise a plethora of caution. Don't go in strange men's hotel rooms or hop in the back seat "just to talk". COMMON SENSE.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:26 PM

7,022 posts, read 5,772,668 times
I'm still waiting any one of these dozens of so-called rape victims to provide proof other than what they say Cosby did to them. Otherwise it becomes nothing more than a he-said/she-said scenario. The fact that these women all came out of the woodwork at the same time makes me skeptical about the timing of it all. I'm beginning to think the only thing Bill Cosby is truly guilty of in liberal white Hollywood is being a conservative black man who tells the truth about a certain dysfunctional segment of the black community.

The Online Lynching of Bill Cosby | The American Spectator

‘This Is How We Lost to the White Man’: The audacity of Bill Cosby’s black conservatism

Why liberals are turning on Bill Cosby over rape allegations | Fox News

Old 02-02-2015, 03:32 PM

9 posts, read 8,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Let's be honest: the only reason these women (accusers) went out with him was he was famous, and the only reason they are speaking out about him is he is famous.
1. It seems most of them admit they regretted trusting him because he was famous.

2. But even nonfamous people who offer to help you with your career, you don't turn
down any opportunity to network. He was trusted to hang out with in private because of his image and visibility.

3. I have a friend who got raped by an Australian businessman who isn't that famous.
She was also trying to work out a lead on business, but he abused her and took advantage.

So this happens even if the person isn't famous.

4. They only came forward because the media reported OTHER WOMEN who came out with stories.
So because he was famous, the media jumped on it finally, after over 30 years.

There is only 1 testimony I read so far that there is suspicion that he wasn't present at the time.

The others don't seem to be contested based on a provable argument as that one can be proven false.

With as much as these women have to lose if they are all wrong, I doubt they are lying
but if any is, I would guess the one who cited the wrong date where Cosby said he wasn't even in town.

Only if they are telling the truth do they have anything to gain from this.

If they are lying there is no way they can ever corroborate their stories so it is pointless.
They are not going to get any closure or resolution from lying, only if they are telling the truth.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:40 PM

9 posts, read 8,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Its not like these alleged rapes supposedly happened last week, last month, or last year. They happened decades ago. Why did it take them so long to come forward with this?

Thats the issue I have with it all.
What I understand is the women who did come forward earlier got paid off immediately, or settled out.
Eventually it was going to come out, and once it did, then the women consulted with their lawyers
on what they could say even if they previously settled out before. So then other women felt safe to contact lawyers and get help to come forward.

This system silences free speech sometimes.
I live in a national historic district that has been systematically destroyed
over years and years, and it hasn't come out in the media.

Black churches burned or torn down and nobody's protested it or made it a national issue.

Does that mean the corruption and fraud never happened?
My neighbors and I saw this happen over and over for years.
I know of horror stories from another district, where the
abuses never get reported. There is no legal backing for it,
and the political pressure and interests are on the other side.

So it gets silenced.

Because I saw this happen for years in my own district, I learned the hard way
you can't trust the media to tell you what is really going on. You have to go directly to the source.

Old 02-02-2015, 03:42 PM

2,459 posts, read 4,670,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Let's be honest: the only reason these women (accusers) went out with him was he was famous, and the only reason they are speaking out about him is he is famous.
You're one of those delusional people that thinks because a guy plays a nice guy on TV, they must be a nice guy in the real world.

Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 PM

72,666 posts, read 64,140,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Several of these women claim that they were raped "several times" by Mr. Cosby...

Now let's think for a second: You went to his house, he gave you some mysterious drink, he had sex with you while you were "drugged." Why in the hell would you GO BACK to his house after this?
I haven't come across that info. Could you post a link or two, please?

Old 02-02-2015, 04:16 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,430,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Several of these women claim that they were raped "several times" by Mr. Cosby...

Now let's think for a second: You went to his house, he gave you some mysterious drink, he had sex with you while you were "drugged." Why in the hell would you GO BACK to his house after this?
Not only that, but you mean to tell me that a relatively unknown BLACK MAN went around drugging and raping an endless number of WHITE WOMEN in the SIXTIES, and is still alive today to face all the accusations?!? LOL, yeah right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events