U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 10:00 AM

1,372 posts, read 761,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
It's not a personal injury action it's a class action under the NJ Consumer Fraud Act.

Two different things.

The NJ Consumer Fraud division is strong.
I see, but if you look at the text of the original article, they used the word "damages", I know this could also mean financial damages, so that's why my point was what for, when both stores have a return policy and they will literally give you your money back if you are not satisfied?!

Also, why would you continue to repeatedly purchase bread that you were not satisfied, and then sue the store to recoup all your financial losses on buying the bread? It makes no sense at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2015, 10:15 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,904,378 times
Fresh can mean just made with no preservatives.
Fresh doesn't mean baked on premises.

There are some breads/rolls in my supermarket that are "baked fresh on premises" every day and the bakery is very open so you can see what comes out of their ovens.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:11 PM

20,873 posts, read 22,451,999 times
I decided to look up the web definition of the word "fraud." I don't see where it fits here. I don't think the store was committing fraud especially because it gave a money back guarantee if the customer was not satisfied. I would think that intent to fraud would have to be proven.

I never pay attention to the word "fresh" until, as I stated before, I can see the bread came out of the ovens, the eggs come out of the chickens, or the apples come down from the trees. To me, that would be fresh.

Otherwise the word "fresh" just meant the goods didn't belong in the bargain bin about to pass their sell-by date.

Quote:
fraud frd
noun
noun fraud plural noun frauds
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.
impostor fake sham charlatan quack mountebank swindler gonif snake oil salesman ********* racketeer cheat confidence trickster phony con man con artist scam artist
Web definitions
intentional deception resulting in injury to another person
WordNet Search - 3.1
Powered by Google Dictionary

Old 02-02-2015, 01:03 PM

7,699 posts, read 10,074,906 times
I know that in my area, Whole Foods has a local bakery that does all the bread for all the stores here. They make the various breads up and then they partially bake and freeze them in a blast chiller. Then they ship to the stores nearby and they pull them to defrost and finish the baking process. I assume other stores are similar. They can't really fully bake and then freeze as it would not remain tasty long enough, but the par-bake process is well understood and gives you good, fresh tasting bread. Parbaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They also have a separate Gluten Free bakehouse as well that is in a different building from the normal one.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:55 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,440,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I know that in my area, Whole Foods has a local bakery that does all the bread for all the stores here. They make the various breads up and then they partially bake and freeze them in a blast chiller. Then they ship to the stores nearby and they pull them to defrost and finish the baking process. I assume other stores are similar. They can't really fully bake and then freeze as it would not remain tasty long enough, but the par-bake process is well understood and gives you good, fresh tasting bread. Parbaking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia They also have a separate Gluten Free bakehouse as well that is in a different building from the normal one.
Sounds like fresh baked bread to me.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:25 AM

33,046 posts, read 20,726,186 times
I'm going to guess that the Whole Foods in Ridgewood does not sell pre-baked donuts.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:41 AM

2,775 posts, read 2,582,273 times
It may seem litigious and perhaps it really is; but there needs to me more truth in advertising anyway. Especially at the food supply level, grocery stores, food manufacturers, re-sellers, they need to be held to higher standards than they are today. Billions of dollars are made doing bait and switch when it comes to selling "food" and I don't think that's ok since we are talking about people's health.

I don't know the specifics of this case but if something is marketed as though it is fresh, made in the store, then it better be. If lawsuits like this are necessary to make that happen, then so be it.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:17 PM

30,437 posts, read 9,097,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
Look for an increase in the cost of Wegman's breads.
Wegmans (there's no apostrophe) doesn't need an excuse to raise prices. Every time we leave that store I feel as if I've helped pay for another one of Danny's Canandaigua castles.

I grew up with Wegmans, and love the store all day long, but you have to know how to shop around here.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:57 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,626,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
It may seem litigious and perhaps it really is; but there needs to me more truth in advertising anyway. Especially at the food supply level, grocery stores, food manufacturers, re-sellers, they need to be held to higher standards than they are today. Billions of dollars are made doing bait and switch when it comes to selling "food" and I don't think that's ok since we are talking about people's health.

I don't know the specifics of this case but if something is marketed as though it is fresh, made in the store, then it better be. If lawsuits like this are necessary to make that happen, then so be it.
Fresh bread literally means bread that is fresh, usually without preservatives

Fresh baked bread literally means the exact same thing

Fresh bread baked in store means the above, plus it is baked at that location

None of these means that the flour was ground in store, the dough was made in store, the wheat was grown in store, or that the pre-baked ingredients were never frozen. It is the bread that is fresh, not the dough. The ingredients are just ingredients.

Before it is baked, there IS no bread, only dough. There is no such thing as partially baked bread. Before it is finished, it isn't bread.

This suit is going nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events