Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

So, it seems that some people figured out that the "store baked" bread claims weren't quite the Whole truth.
I'm not surprised, I've known this for years. Same with those "fresh" donuts and pastry in the grocery store case. In many cases they are shipped in frozen and reheated,baked,fried in the store.
This is why for the last couple of years we don't buy bread, I make it.

A lawsuit filed in December in New Jersey Superior Court in Camden County is accusing Wegmans Food Markets of "deceptive" statements claiming that "certain bread and bakery products that were not baked in store" were baked on the premises. Actually, the suit claims, they were "pre-baked elsewhere and delivered to the stores."

The three plaintiffs, who are residents of New Jersey, also filed a lawsuit with similar allegations against Whole Foods on the same day in U.S. District Court in Camden, New Jersey. For each lawsuit, the proposed class action seeks damages of more than $75,000, claiming there are 10,000 people in the class. Each suit seeks damages of $100 for each class member, according to the court filing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 09:55 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Hyvee used to bake their own bakery donuts in store and they'd put them out fresh around 4AM and they were what I would call 'excellent' .. from what I've heard they are now shipped in and what I would call 'average' ... and they put them out at 2AM.. they also got rid of my favorite peanut butter flavored one.

Wal mart has never had good bakery. There's no good place to get bakery in my town anymore.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Likely brought by a legal group. Claims filed is what it is;no judgment yet. Lots of those around. Normally ist bread and butter for the layers as always. It has to be given class status also. before going forward as such.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:35 AM

240 posts, read 252,393 times
Look for an increase in the cost of Wegman's breads.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
So, it seems that some people figured out that the "store baked" bread claims weren't quite the Whole truth.
I'm not surprised, I've known this for years. Same with those "fresh" donuts and pastry in the grocery store case. In many cases they are shipped in frozen and reheated,baked,fried in the store.
This is why for the last couple of years we don't buy bread, I make it.

A lawsuit filed in December in New Jersey Superior Court in Camden County is accusing Wegmans Food Markets of "deceptive" statements claiming that "certain bread and bakery products that were not baked in store" were baked on the premises. Actually, the suit claims, they were "pre-baked elsewhere and delivered to the stores."

The three plaintiffs, who are residents of New Jersey, also filed a lawsuit with similar allegations against Whole Foods on the same day in U.S. District Court in Camden, New Jersey. For each lawsuit, the proposed class action seeks damages of more than $75,000, claiming there are 10,000 people in the class. Each suit seeks damages of $100 for each class member, according to the court filing.
I've never seen a sign in WF that claimed the bread was store-baked. What kind of "damages" can someone claim from bread that wasn't baked at the store?

Their prepared foods aren't cooked on-premises, either; they're purchased from another company. Has anyone ever noticed all the thickeners and fillers listed on their "fresh" soup labels? Potato starch, corn starch, white flour, sugar (often all in the same soup)? Who needs all that cr@p in their vegetable soup or their fish chowder? Don't buy WF soups unless you want to fatten up.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-01-2015 at 12:50 PM..

Old 02-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Hyvee used to bake their own bakery donuts in store and they'd put them out fresh around 4AM and they were what I would call 'excellent' .. from what I've heard they are now shipped in and what I would call 'average' ... and they put them out at 2AM.. they also got rid of my favorite peanut butter flavored one.

Wal mart has never had good bakery. There's no good place to get bakery in my town anymore.
South Dakota? Rough, man. There's a good bakery in my town that supplies the small grocers and the co-op with fresh breads of various sorts: whole wheat, sourdough, baguettes, etc. I guess you could call it "artisanal" bread. People love that stuff.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:45 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
I have always taken the words "store baked" and "fresh" with a large grain of salt. To me, unless it says "baked on premises" today it wasn't. Many years ago the Safeway where I used to live in Portland baked their bread on the premises. They had a master baker who made the best breads, cakes, pies etc. You could smell the baking in the morning. MMMMMM. They made cakes for all occasions to order. Some were real works of art. I know because I had one designed for a special occasion.

Then they stopped doing that and shipped in bread and other baked goods from all over but some breads are baked by a bakery just a few blocks away. Now that truly is fresh bread. You could go to that bakery and actually buy the loaves from them or buy them at Safeway.

The word "fresh" is nebulous at best. Fresh eggs? Are there chickens in the back of the store laying the eggs? Fresh produce? How many days is the shipping time from farm to store considered to be in the fresh zone? I have even see fresh labels on various cuts of meat. As opposed to what? Spoiled meat? I really don't pay attention to that word any longer. It is so over used it has no meaning for me.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:55 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Even baked on premises doesn't mean that much if they are using frozen dough made up and risen in a factory elsewhere. It's not the same as what you find in a real bakery. If you can't smell the yeast in the air, then it's factory bread.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have always taken the words "store baked" and "fresh" with a large grain of salt. To me, unless it says "baked on premises" today it wasn't. Many years ago the Safeway where I used to live in Portland baked their bread on the premises. They had a master baker who made the best breads, cakes, pies etc. You could smell the baking in the morning. MMMMMM. They made cakes for all occasions to order. Some were real works of art. I know because I had one designed for a special occasion.

Then they stopped doing that and shipped in bread and other baked goods from all over but some breads are baked by a bakery just a few blocks away. Now that truly is fresh bread. You could go to that bakery and actually buy the loaves from them or buy them at Safeway.

The word "fresh" is nebulous at best. Fresh eggs? Are there chickens in the back of the store laying the eggs? Fresh produce? How many days is the shipping time from farm to store considered to be in the fresh zone? I have even see fresh labels on various cuts of meat. As opposed to what? Spoiled meat? I really don't pay attention to that word any longer. It is so over used it has no meaning for me.
lol! I love this!

I guess only the stores that carry locally-grown produce can claim "fresh".

Old 02-01-2015, 01:24 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

I agree!
Exactly what does "fresh" mean? Less than a day old? Less than a week? Two weeks? A month?
Does it vary according to where it is applied? Is bread that is two days old not "fresh", but vegetables that have been in shipment a week since picked are "fresh"?
At Costco, "fresh" eggs come from a farm at Roy, Washington.
At Walmart, "fresh" eggs come from a Hutterite colony less than 50 miles away.
Which ones are REALLY "fresh"?
Are shellfish that are labelled "FRESH (previously frozen)" really FRESH?
It is like the "Organic" label. Exactly what does it mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events