Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:37 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
S
The three plaintiffs, who are residents of New Jersey, also filed a lawsuit with similar allegations against Whole Foods on the same day in U.S. District Court in Camden, New Jersey. For each lawsuit, the proposed class action seeks damages of more than $75,000, claiming there are 10,000 people in the class. Each suit seeks damages of $100 for each class member, according to the court filing.
Confused about what the damages were? Both stores have return policies that allow you to return the product for your money back!

What was the tragic damage that occured when these people purchased reheated bread that they thought had been baked? Was their faith in humanity destroyed by this horrible deception?

Such a NJ type of thing to happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:59 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post
Confused about what the damages were? Both stores have return policies that allow you to return the product for your money back!

What was the tragic damage that occured when these people purchased reheated bread that they thought had been baked? Was their faith in humanity destroyed by this horrible deception?

Seriously. The quintessential example of a litigious society.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:05 PM

579 posts, read 521,620 times
Organic means that no chemicals fertilizers, herbicides or antibiotics were used to grow or raise the product.

There is no organic water. There is no organic salt,.Neither of those have been grown or raised. It's actually a very firm parameter on that term

Now fresh is much more loosely defined.

Frozen produce has more nutrients than regular produce because by freezing the produce as it's picked means the nutrient loss is minimal compared to produce that has traveled hundreds of miles over several days to get to the store.

Freezing in baking is often used to control proofing (when the yeast in the flour starts to cause it to rise). If you can control proofing you can time the baking for optimum yumminess.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I have always taken the words "store baked" and "fresh" with a large grain of salt. To me, unless it says "baked on premises" today it wasn't. Many years ago the Safeway where I used to live in Portland baked their bread on the premises. They had a master baker who made the best breads, cakes, pies etc. You could smell the baking in the morning. MMMMMM. They made cakes for all occasions to order. Some were real works of art. I know because I had one designed for a special occasion.

Then they stopped doing that and shipped in bread and other baked goods from all over but some breads are baked by a bakery just a few blocks away. Now that truly is fresh bread. You could go to that bakery and actually buy the loaves from them or buy them at Safeway.

The word "fresh" is nebulous at best. Fresh eggs? Are there chickens in the back of the store laying the eggs? Fresh produce? How many days is the shipping time from farm to store considered to be in the fresh zone? I have even see fresh labels on various cuts of meat. As opposed to what? Spoiled meat? I really don't pay attention to that word any longer. It is so over used it has no meaning for me.
I have chickens so I know my eggs are fresh

You cannot peel a fresh egg..no air between sac and shell. How easily an egg peels tells you how old it is..as it ages air gets between sac and shell. Even after 2 weeks in the fridge I cannot peel easily. I have to break the egg and scoop it out.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:19 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quite a few years ago, I worked in the bakery department of a large grocery chain. Our bread and rolls would come in as frozen dough (pre-shaped into rolls and breads) and when we got in at 5am, we would put it in the "riser" (putting whatever seeds on first). After that, we would bake the rolls and bread.

The bagels came in frozen and would just go into the oven. Same with donuts. They would come in frozen and we would just thaw them out. After they were thawed, we would put on whatever icing/sprinkles. As for the "Italian Cookies" and the brownies, those all came in pre-made and we just had to open the package and put them in the display case.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 PM

19,825 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangokiwi View Post

$4.00 for the bread and $96.00 for emotional distress.
A few million for the law firm.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:39 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I have chickens so I know my eggs are fresh

You cannot peel a fresh egg..no air between sac and shell. How easily an egg peels tells you how old it is..as it ages air gets between sac and shell. Even after 2 weeks in the fridge I cannot peel easily. I have to break the egg and scoop it out.
Interesting. I have a friend in another state who raises chickens. So I know her eggs would be fresh because she gets them "right from the oven" so to speak. I never knew about peeling them. I might bring that up with her.

I think the term "fresh" used by the supermarkets is silly. I mean, fresh as opposed to what? "Stale?" Who's going to say "Stale something for sale?" If something is approaching its sell-by-date they mark it down. It's not fresh but it's still eatable.

I don't think this class action lawsuit is going to go anywhere nor does it deserve to.

Old 02-01-2015, 05:42 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I think the term "fresh" used by the supermarkets is silly. I mean, fresh as opposed to what? "Stale?" Who's going to say "Stale something for sale?"
These comments on this thread are killing me! LOLOL!

Be careful, or they'll start regulating use of the term "fresh".

Old 02-01-2015, 08:42 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Why would anyone sue over this? Just don't buy the baked goods anymore and fill out one of those customer surveys most stores have. They'll eventually get the point.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,015,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Why would anyone sue over this? Just don't buy the baked goods anymore and fill out one of those customer surveys most stores have. They'll eventually get the point.
I guess they wanted the changes to happen faster. They wanted justice for the wrongs that had been committed against them. They suffered deeply and felt they deserved to be compensated! Someone had to pay for those atrocious acts or they would never again be able to live and love in the same way as before...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events