Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2015, 04:59 PM

685 posts, read 720,563 times

Advertisements

I personally think this is exciting. I love, "To Kill a Mockingbird," (the book and the movie - and there are only a small handful where the movie does the book justice). I'm looking forward to reading her older new book when it's released. It's just great. Clarification, the book was simply written before what most of us know and was rejected. Now the predecessor becomes a sequel. It has got to be fabulous.

Last edited by PeaceOut001; 02-03-2015 at 05:03 PM.. Reason: Post title a bit more accurately reflected here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 05:24 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
I read that. I find it very interesting that this new book is a sequel to her first.
Novelists often create a backstory to all their characters as a part of beginning a book. Harper must have worked all the way to the end of her first effort before she came to realize that the backstory had the makings for a separate book all by itself.

I'm going to read it. It will be interesting to see if her earlier writing in "Go Set A Watchman" is as eloquent and expressive as her later book is. Even if it's not, I'll bet it's still a darned good read.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
From stories I read others discover it and then she agreed to print it. Sounds like she had no idea where it was until notified that publish found it.

Old 02-04-2015, 08:55 AM

685 posts, read 720,563 times
Ironically, I read the internet. I used to be an avid reader and time and age catch up with me. So, reading is somewhat difficult. But this is one book we're nabbing when it comes out. Yes, banjormike, I'm banking on my eyes that it will be a darn good read. Rah!

Old 02-04-2015, 09:04 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
From stories I read others discover it and then she agreed to print it. Sounds like she had no idea where it was until notified that publish found it.
I've read that Harper Lee didn't want this book published, but her sister (who was her lawyer) and who protected Lee's interests passed away last year. Word on the street is that Lee is in very poor health and her new representation may be taking advantage of her.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:28 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,523,554 times
This pretty much sums up the discussion that was one the news last night (CBC). They were talking with a literature professor from UBC who stated something to the effect that "I've written stuff that I hope never gets published". Well, if you don't want it ever to be published, then destroy it or leave clear instructions to have it destroyed under certain circumstances. IIRC, Kafka wanted all or most of his work destroyed, but it wasn't, and see what became of that... Not sure the exact reasons why Harper Lee didn't want to publish anymore, but she apparently didn't do enough avoid this situation - and she obviously knew all along that hundreds of millions of people have wanted to read more (or everything) she's written.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've read that Harper Lee didn't want this book published, but her sister (who was her lawyer) and who protected Lee's interests passed away last year. Word on the street is that Lee is in very poor health and her new representation may be taking advantage of her.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:59 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
The article I read said that she wrote the soon-to-be-published book, "Go Set a Watchman," first. It contains the same characters as TKAM, and it contains a lot of Scout's 20-year flashbacks. When Harper Lee showed this manuscript to her editor back in the 50s, he was taken by the childhood flashbacks in the story, and he wanted Lee to write a different novel, from Scout's perspective. "I was a first-time writer, so I did as I was told," Lee said in a recent statement. She set the earlier book aside, and thought it had been lost or destroyed, until it was found last fall.

I can't wait for its release!

Old 02-04-2015, 12:03 PM

13,403 posts, read 28,723,726 times
Can't wait

Old 02-04-2015, 12:07 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut001 View Post
Ironically, I read the internet. I used to be an avid reader and time and age catch up with me. So, reading is somewhat difficult. But this is one book we're nabbing when it comes out. Yes, banjormike, I'm banking on my eyes that it will be a darn good read. Rah!
I cannot wait to read it.

May I make a suggestion for you? I also have a problem reading due to aging eyes. I got a hand-me-down Kindle from my BIL and it really solved the problem. I didn't think I would like an e-reader but I was so wrong. It isn't only the font that I was having problems with in print books which is adjustable on the Kindle. The line spacing in many books was also a problem. The Kindle is so much easier on the old eyeballs for me.

I suggest you go to a store that sells e-readers and take one for a test run. It might help you as it did me. Without my Kindle, my reading would be very limited. Maybe it will help you too if you have not yet tried it.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:06 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,182,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think I read something along those lines as well. There might even be a suit pending. I want to say I read it in Vanity Fair about a year ago (about her relationship with her sister, another publisher/agent etc). Maybe it was somewhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events