U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 09:17 AM

12,059 posts, read 5,599,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
No one's saying he can't be nice. I like nice just fine. But I don't like, "Have a blessed day." First and foremost, precisely how would I accomplish that? If I could control blessings, I certainly wouldn't need him to tell me to do it. I would have blessed myself with enough cash I wouldn't need to shop at Walmart.

So since I can't control blessings, it implies to me that I need to pray or worship at some church or something that I'm not doing. If so, the message contains a certain rebuke. I don't live right. And If I'm supposed to think he's praying for me, I'd just as soon he didn't. There's a woman who says that on one of the home shopping networks and as soon as I see her, I turn the channel. It's a nonsensical thing to say.
Precisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 09:47 AM

5,562 posts, read 3,133,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Look on your currency. This is an example of what I was referring to.
The reference to God on our currency was only added in the 1950's during the Eisenhower administration. It wasn't there since Day 1 of the United States. Eisenhower put that phrase on our money because of the Cold War and everyone's fear of communism and "godlessness." Because, yeah, the veneration of supernatural beings borne of ancient superstitions is what made America great - not the blood, sweat, and tears of the American people, right?

Quote:
Absolutely, religious freedom is the basis, but the belief in God was certainly evident in most of those early discussions and decisions.
The Founders were deists at best and certainly not Christian. If you know so much about the Founders then I'm sure you know about the Treaty of Tripoli which states in no uncertain terms that America is NOT a Christian nation in terms of its laws, its judicial system, or its Constitution.

Quote:
And don't worry. I probably have forgotten more about the founding fathers and our constitution than you will ever know..
Oh, believe me, I'm not worried. Those who have to advertise how smart they are and how much they know are usually so busy trying to impress and self-aggrandize that they end up saying virtually nothing - much less proving that they know anything about their supposed field of expertise.

Quote:
But for someone to say that a man wishing them to "have a blessed day" is INTRUDING is absolutely ridiculous.
Really? Because, oh, I'm sure that if a Wal-Mart greeter were telling people, "Have a godless day," people like you would be whistlin' an entirely different tune.

The issue here is that atheists and the non-religious are no longer giving religion the default respect and deference that religion has always demanded throughout the centuries - people are finally speaking out against religion being everywhere we look.

Now, sure, some of them do not pick their battles very wisely - and I tend to agree with you for the most part. Getting upset over a Wal-Mart greeter using the term "blessed" is a silly battle to wage. However, you neither have freedom of religion or freedom of expression within the corporate environment; corporatism is inherently fascistic. If Wal-Mart tells a greeter to change his greeting, he must do so or face disciplinary action (especially since I'm relatively certain Wal-Mart has a scripted greeting you're supposed to use).

But, Wal-Mart caved in because there are too many Christians in this country who believe their religion should be in our faces all the time - even when walking into Wal-Mart.

Keep in mind that it is just as silly for Christians to get upset about not being able to use the greeting as it is for atheists and the non-religious to get upset for using the greeting. It's not as though this guy's greeting somehow impacts anyone's life in any meaningful way. Quite frankly, this entire issue is a non-event and doesn't even deserve to be called "news."

I personally don't care what the guy says or even if he says anything at all to me when I enter the store. I'm there to shop, not start a social circle or have a prayer meeting.

What I do know is this: If a Wal-Mart greeter told everyone to have a "godless day" he would probably be fired - namely because there is still a wisp of that fascistic Puritan intolerance in this country despite how often people throw around the word "freedom" - a word diametrically opposed to Puritan authoritarianism.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:51 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,464,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BLUE RIDGE, Ga. Public pressure and strong support on social media have forced Walmart in Blue Ridge to do an about face on censoring one of their long-time greeters.

James Philips is the first person people see when they walk into Walmart and he has always greeted them with "Have a blessed day" until someone complained and he was silenced.

Walmart asks greeter to stop saying 'Have a blessed day' | www.wsbtv.com
Nobody who works at Walmart or shops there is "blessed" it is kinda a place you end up with when you had a bad life.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:52 AM

12,059 posts, read 5,599,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
The reference to God on our currency was only added in the 1950's during the Eisenhower administration. It wasn't there since Day 1 of the United States. Eisenhower put that phrase on our money because of the Cold War and everyone's fear of communism and "godlessness." Because, yeah, the veneration of supernatural beings borne of ancient superstitions is what made America great - not the blood, sweat, and tears of the American people, right?

The Founders were deists at best and certainly not Christian. If you know so much about the Founders then I'm sure you know about the Treaty of Tripoli which states in no uncertain terms that America is NOT a Christian nation in terms of its laws, its judicial system, or its Constitution.

Oh, believe me, I'm not worried. Those who have to advertise how smart they are and how much they know are usually so busy trying to impress and self-aggrandize that they end up saying virtually nothing - much less proving that they know anything about their supposed field of expertise.

Really? Because, oh, I'm sure that if a Wal-Mart greeter were telling people, "Have a godless day," people like you would be whistlin' an entirely different tune.

The issue here is that atheists and the non-religious are no longer giving religion the default respect and deference that religion has always demanded throughout the centuries - people are finally speaking out against religion being everywhere we look.

Now, sure, some of them do not pick their battles very wisely - and I tend to agree with you for the most part. Getting upset over a Wal-Mart greeter using the term "blessed" is a silly battle to wage. However, you neither have freedom of religion or freedom of expression within the corporate environment; corporatism is inherently fascistic. If Wal-Mart tells a greeter to change his greeting, he must do so or face disciplinary action (especially since I'm relatively certain Wal-Mart has a scripted greeting you're supposed to use).

But, Wal-Mart caved in because there are too many Christians in this country who believe their religion should be in our faces all the time - even when walking into Wal-Mart.

Keep in mind that it is just as silly for Christians to get upset about not being able to use the greeting as it is for atheists and the non-religious to get upset for using the greeting. It's not as though this guy's greeting somehow impacts anyone's life in any meaningful way. Quite frankly, this entire issue is a non-event and doesn't even deserve to be called "news."

I personally don't care what the guy says or even if he says anything at all to me when I enter the store. I'm there to shop, not start a social circle or have a prayer meeting.

What I do know is this: If a Wal-Mart greeter told everyone to have a "godless day" he would probably be fired - namely because there is still a wisp of that fascistic Puritan intolerance in this country despite how often people throw around the word "freedom" - a word diametrically opposed to Puritan authoritarianism.
Lol, great post.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:53 AM

4,542 posts, read 4,464,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Excuse me, but the Muslims -Allah is god- the Hindus you cannot be curtailing freedom for your taste- then we can go back where women can't vote and men are slaves- stop
If the Walmart sells guns you really need a heck of a blessing

Old 02-05-2015, 09:58 AM

9,343 posts, read 8,738,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Nobody who works at Walmart or shops there is "blessed" it is kinda a place you end up with when you had a bad life.
Oh good grief!

Old 02-05-2015, 10:20 AM

1,716 posts, read 1,491,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
LOL....Exactly! It's almost the opposite of blessed. Maybe they are fishing for someone to bless their day?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 AM

8,221 posts, read 9,100,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Like the greeter that has other options, so do you.
Polite and welcoming cane be done without that.
Now, on the humorous side, I did learn something that turns the polite lie of "Fine" into a 'truth'.
One word would get filtered but you'll get it.
F.I.N.E. stands for ......F'd up, Insecure, Neurotic and Exasperated.
So, you and I can both smile and feel just fine saying it
LOL...love it.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:26 AM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Excuse me, but the Muslims -Allah is god- the Hindus you cannot be curtailing freedom for your taste- then we can go back where women can't vote and men are slaves- stop
Nonsense. Where on earth have I stated that ANYONES religious freedom should be curtailed. Take it to the great debates forum if you want to argue that.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:30 AM

23,906 posts, read 31,137,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post

Like I said. Some people just look for things to complain about. When people snnze around here, everyone says "bless you". If you worked here and took offense to that, I expect you would not last very long. You have a blessed day now, okay?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events