U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 PM

5,483 posts, read 5,005,314 times

Advertisements

I'm not a christian either, and I am happy to be blessed by anyone. I don't care who the blessing is from or who conveys it to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 08:32 PM

1,955 posts, read 2,992,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
That would be appropriate after they walk-out the door. No one needs a welcome ( because they are there) and no needs to hear a "thank-you" as soon as they arrive.

It would be a tough call really. I know in the Bentonville/Springdale/Fayetteville/Rogers/Centerton/Prairie Grove AR area ( including Jane. MO) the door greeters are not at the front door anymore. They are farther back than that.

Maybe this store hasn't changed their format yet.
They don't greet people who come in the door to make them feel welcome. They do it to make shoplifters feel UNwelcome. Studies have shown it cuts down on shoplifting because it makes potential thieves feel like they've been noticed, which they don't want.

Think about it... Wal-Mart is probably the most tightfisted and miserly company in the world. Do you think they would pay someone just to stand at the door and say hello if there wasn't some financial benefit?

Old 02-05-2015, 08:34 PM

3,922 posts, read 7,471,055 times
Our Walmart doesn't have greeters anymore. Minimum wage must be too high here.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:23 PM

8,864 posts, read 5,010,707 times
when i retire, I want to be a walmart greeter, it be great. " hi, welcome walmart, git your own damn cart, can't you see I'm old, and leave your kids outside, we don't want no crumb snatcher hollering and screaming, knocking over stuff, didn't I tell you I'm old"

'cmon, move on, no I don't know you, and pull up your pants"

" hello welcome walmart, No you can't come in here, you smell, go home take a bath, Its a store dammit "

see all greeter are old folks, and grandfather always toe the line, didn't like something he tell you.

Old 02-06-2015, 01:59 AM

5,054 posts, read 2,026,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
WHAT????? Okay you are seriously screwed up if you think that this man is "intruding on your belief system".
This makes me think of something. At Christmas, the building manager was instructing tenants to not hang wreaths on doors or decorate with lights in windows, etc. I thought at first she meant they were concerned with fire hazards using lights, but then she added something like "So as not to offend others". I was shocked, since it has never been an issue, prior. What is funny is that many did display decor, so a figured it was okay, using tiny, battery powered lights in two windows. There is one family who I noticed still has a tree in their window, another still has holiday "decals" displayed. So, I don't know what happened with that rule... it's pretty silly, since Holiday Decor has always been such a huge deal, just as with Halloween, but I guess it is offending some.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:16 AM

9,730 posts, read 13,274,552 times
I toe the line between atheist and agnostic... I'm certaiblnly not going around blessing people or anything. But, if someone says "bless you," tells me they'll mention me in their prayers, etc, I'm not offended in the least, and neither are any other atheists I know. The simple truth is that they are wishing me goodwill in a way that's meaningful to them, and what is offensive about that?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 AM

5,407 posts, read 2,878,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Our country is founded on a belief in GOD...
Where is the proof for that?

Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 AM

469 posts, read 549,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
That is a most bizarre statement. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it? I'm almost afraid to ask who has and who hasn't the qualifications to bless you.
Or better yet, never mind. I'll just move on.
I guess I should have expressed it differently. It's as if the person saying "Have a blessed day" is conferring a blessing (from God presumably) and I don't know why they feel they are special enough to do that.

I do like the comeback of "Namaste," though and may respond with that next time. Thanks to whomever suggested it : ) --

BTW, I've never said anything characterized as "bizarre," so that's a first.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:30 AM

7,496 posts, read 9,690,022 times
Pretty soon Walfart will start telling people to jump off cliffs and they'll listen.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:17 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,575,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And with that obvious lack of tolerance towards anything or anyone who doesn't march in lockstep with your beliefs ( or lack of same), which it would appear you carry on a large chip on your shoulder, I'd imagine these folks are just as happy NOT to see you at their establishments.

That's a whole bunch of assumption there. You clearly didn't understand what I wrote, maybe your mom or dad can help you after dinner. See I'm plenty tolerant, but I want to keep away from the establishments who use religion to increase sales. You can imagine how they feel all day long, but that doesn't have any basis in reality. Most business owners want sales, I don't think religious ones are any different. But if it doesn't bother them, I'm fine with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events