U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 06:21 PM

1,716 posts, read 1,491,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Far as I can see, if someone is offended by a remark made by someone else that was obviously meant simply as a greeting, and NOT meant as an offense, the one offended is the one with the problem.

Brilliant. That's what the 13 pages of discussion were about. I'll summarize for you: It is either OK or it isn't OK. Whats OK for you, may not be OK with another. Whether you understand it or agree is irrelevant. If it doesn't bother you, great, go back. If it does bother you, great, don't go back. See how easy that was? Questions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 09:21 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
Perhaps a simple "welcome to walmart" or "thanks for shopping at walmart" is just too much for some people remember.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:38 PM

13,477 posts, read 9,597,589 times
I kind of find that saying uncomfortable, too. I would never complain about it, but I don't care for it.
I just respond with " thanks, you too" but I don't really like it.

Last edited by NLVgal; 02-06-2015 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 02-06-2015, 09:43 PM

4,342 posts, read 2,609,796 times
In a walmart in soCal, a female cashier told my family and I to "have a blessed day". Got on me, for a brief moment, but eh... let it go. Not THAT big a deal. Reminds me of the "happy holidays vs. merry Christmas" issue.

Old 02-07-2015, 06:08 AM

1,235 posts, read 1,312,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Um, no. I'll bring up whatever I want as an argument. I didn't start it, and i didn't take credit for it...deal with it. I seriously doubt that anyone who used it was trying to impress anyone, its not impressive in any way. Not even a little.

Just because you aren't Christian doesn't absolve you of subjectivity in your reasoning. But I am sure there are words and phrases that you do find offensive right? Well not everyone will agree with you on those. So instead of making the bold, but obvious, statement that you "don't get it", maybe try asking questions and putting some effort into understanding why other do get it. You just might learn something.
I said you don't get it because you used the phrase "may Allah be with you today" as a counter argument. My reasoning was this:

1. Have a blessed day: Can literally mean ANYTHING

2. May Allah be with you today: Literally means someone is wishing another good will from the religion of Islam. Its explicitly specific. And considering it comes from a religion that has a negative association to many in the West; it can be justifiably and understandably offensive to someone. Whereas, the saying above has no such association.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:42 AM

15,575 posts, read 9,650,106 times
Obviously, in the overall scheme of things, is this little saying a big deal ? Absolutely not, but to some of us it is a minor annoyance. Every day we have major issues in our lives and minor issues, and this fits into the latter category. As I mentioned in my earlier post on this subject, I do find the "blessed day" comment a little annoying, and that is all it is, a minor annoyance.....just like the people who hand you a card with a religious saying on it.

Don

Old 02-07-2015, 12:27 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
It's not even a matter of anyone being annoyed or complaining, employees say what their employee wants them to say. Period. There doesn't have to be any explanation or reason why.

Old 11-23-2016, 05:31 PM

8,093 posts, read 4,448,863 times
[quote=415_s2k;38328020]I toe the line between atheist and agnostic... I'm certaiblnly not going around blessing people or anything. /quote]

southerner have a well of telling people off without being mean

Look at johnny poke that pit bull with a stick, bless his heart

johnny broke his arm, jump from a tree, bless his heart

johnny got beating up for owing money, bless his heart

so if a southern tells you, bless his heart, that the polite way of saying, you stupid dumbass

Old 11-23-2016, 05:39 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,825,417 times
Walmart is such a trashy dump that I virtually never go there anyway, but the fact that they have strangers at the door pretending to be my friend when I enter certainly doesn't enhance the experience in any way.

Why would it?

If I want to buy something, I want to buy something. How does some guy making minimum wage to greet me like he's greeted the 7314 people entered before me that day do anything for me? It doesn't.

I'd probably put up with Walmart's cheap trashiness just a little more often if they didn't have the octogenarian sentinels at the doors. Better yet, replace them with parrots.

Old 11-23-2016, 06:54 PM

3,838 posts, read 2,899,591 times
Get blessed and buy a plastic Jesus statue. One stop shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events