U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 04:16 PM

18,720 posts, read 4,719,930 times

Advertisements

Another thing to make a big deal about..."Have a blessed day", how about "blessed be", read that is a
wiccan saying, so another insult...can't say Merry Christmas, someone might get offended...how about
not getting insulted by inoffensive remarks, they are not meant to hurt anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2016, 09:33 AM

25,907 posts, read 35,063,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Imagine for a moment if the greeter said "May Allah be with you!". We could defend that by saying they were simply being nice, but it goes deeper than that.
Exactly. Pretty much 100% of the "it's just holiday cheer" defenders would lose their minds.

Old 11-26-2016, 05:55 PM

6,686 posts, read 11,933,460 times
I've heard it a number of times where I live. It's obviously very common in the southeast. It doesn't bother me, but its probably better to just say bye.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:06 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,679,724 times
How does "have a blessed day" automatically mean it's religious!? So when someone sneezes and you say "bless you" that'll land you in jail? To me being blessed is more meaning you have a lot to be thankful for, therefore he is wishing you well. He wasn't holding up a bible condemning people to hell. He was greeting people and doing his job, definitely see no wrong intentions.. Poor guy! So ridiculous!

Old 11-27-2016, 12:46 PM

12,089 posts, read 5,632,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemodeled View Post
How does "have a blessed day" automatically mean it's religious!? So when someone sneezes and you say "bless you" that'll land you in jail? To me being blessed is more meaning you have a lot to be thankful for, therefore he is wishing you well. He wasn't holding up a bible condemning people to hell. He was greeting people and doing his job, definitely see no wrong intentions.. Poor guy! So ridiculous!
Poor guy? Why? They simply asked him not to say it. Big deal. Is it really that tough to say "have a good day" or simply "bye"? It's not like they booted him out of the store.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:52 PM

2,420 posts, read 944,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks5692 View Post
LMAO! He is intruding his belief system on others?! WTF? People everywhere are going mad! Maybe it's in the water.

A Muslim greeter wishing you "As-salāmu ʿalaykum" would not be an issue?

Old 11-27-2016, 12:54 PM

2,420 posts, read 944,941 times
Quote:
How does "have a blessed day" automatically mean it's religious!? So when someone sneezes and you say "bless you" that'll land you in jail?
Was he jailed? I hadn't heard that. On what charge?

Quote:
To me being blessed is more meaning you have a lot to be thankful for.
Why should I be thankful to anyone for my day?

Old 11-27-2016, 01:36 PM

9,197 posts, read 22,926,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Nobody said you couldn't be nice. What he was originally told was not to offend people by bringing his religious beliefs into their workplace. This may surprise you, but even in Georgia there are people who aren't religious, and believe it or not, some of them are even repubelicans.

Its an insult...its not a positive comment to many, that's what you aren't understanding.

So obviously absurd...you know that isn't the issue.

Because when you say that, it makes me feel that you are asking your God to smile on me and somehow make my day better. I don't like your God. I think your believe in God is a crutch for the weak minded people who need support to get through life. I dislike everything about your God, churches, policies, leaders etc. So when you "bless me" you are pushing all of that into my face, when all I really wanted was some milk and book.

While Walmart has softened their position, I would not shop at this store again if i lived in the area. It's the same when religious zealots put little fish signs in their windows, advertisements and business cards. Its a red flag to me to stay far away. Believe what you want and I'll believe what I want. Don't push, share, or promote your beliefs on me and we will get along fabulously.
And all of this from those pushing their unbelief on everyone. Maybe hand out pamphlets of things not to say to you when you go out in public or carry a big sign. Would you have been just as offended if someone said something similar with a Buddhist leaning, Muslim leaning, Hindu leaning, etc...? Bessed, Blessings, et al just mean that the person hopes you have a great day full of those things that make you happy and have a meaningful and productive life. Not, here...let me tell you about my Church and about God. Have a Nice Day and have a blessed day are essentially the same thing. It's how he chooses to say it, and it's your deal how you react to it. You can get yourself all bent out of shape about it, and ruin your day, or take it at face value, be gracious, continue to have a great day and move on.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Was he jailed? I hadn't heard that. On what charge?

Why should I be thankful to anyone for my day?
It's kind of sad you wouldn't even be thanking yourself for making choices that drive your day in a positive direction. How about being glad your breakfast didn't catch fire and burn your kitchen up, no one hit your car when you left your driveway, you arrived safely at every destination, maybe had good or great customer service, no one yelled at you for your job performance/or you were praised for a job well done. Maybe you had an attentive server at a restaurant, your bartender bought you a drink or gave you a little extra pour of liquor, Someone in a drive thru line or at a coffee shop paid for your order....I could go on with reasons you should be thankful to others for how your day turned out.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
A Muslim greeter wishing you "As-salāmu ʿalaykum" would not be an issue?
No, not if they are wishing you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events