U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2016, 12:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 22,897,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Poor guy? Why? They simply asked him not to say it. Big deal. Is it really that tough to say "have a good day" or simply "bye"? It's not like they booted him out of the store.
No, not a big deal, but also not such a big deal for the complainer to keep on his big boy pants and move along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Exactly. Pretty much 100% of the "it's just holiday cheer" defenders would lose their minds.

And as a thinking person, taking it as just that is the right thing to do. It's not like saying "May Allah's blessings be with you" is them saying "May the sting of millions of jalapeno's burn you when you visit the bathroom today" or anything. It's just someone of a different faith saying something nice in the way they know how. Anyone with half a brain cell would know that.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:52 PM

12,099 posts, read 5,605,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
No, not a big deal, but also not such a big deal for the complainer to keep on his big boy pants and move along.
I know, I think the same about all those offended by "Happy Holidays". A totally nonsecular phrase yet the persecution complex is strong with them.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
You have hit the nail on the head! I couldn't ever figure out exactly why the phrase sounds so fake (in addition to sounding preachy), but you have summed it up perfectly. Perhaps someone here who does say (or like) this phrase could address the points you raised.
I'll try, but I'm not very eloquent or wordy. In Christianity, God does not control your every move. You have free will. You have free will to make choices. Choices have consequences. Other people's choices can affect your life, and your own choices affect your life. You work hard for what you DO have, you are kind to people or helpful to people, continue to educate yourself and learn new things. Great choices, and you nearly always benefit from them. Often, people make mistakes. Sometimes awful things happen, but hopefully we learn from them, not to repeat what made something bad happen. Someone saying "Have a blessed day" is only sending out something meant as positive, go out and I'm hoping that everything goes your way/many good things happen for you today. It's not a veiled way of saying they hope you go to Church or that they are secretely telling you that only God will or can come down to Earth to bestow his blessings on you, even though Christians do believe that God can and/or will do that. I am not the greatest Christian ever born, but from what I know, if you want God to put his own blessing on you, you yourself have to pray and ask. That doesn't mean it will happen though. My thought is that, even though the Walmart greeter may be Christian, he is simply wishing that only good things happen for you that day.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I know, I think the same about all those offended by "Happy Holidays". A totally nonsecular phrase yet the persecution complex is strong with them.
I see what you're saying. The person saying Happy Holidays is just being kind as well. They may be trying to keep it secular for work, or trying to not upset anyone in particular. I'd only get mad or upset if someone in a retail situation was grouchy and mean and unhelpful, or said something like "Don't let the door hit ya on the way out!"

Old 11-27-2016, 03:00 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,441,413 times
I bet if the greeter said may Allah bless you the same people would call for the greeter's firing.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:08 PM

11,672 posts, read 13,882,295 times
Imagine if people put the same effort into addressing real issues as they do into perceived slights. The world would be a much better place.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:15 AM

21,010 posts, read 25,794,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I bet if the greeter said may Allah bless you the same people would call for the greeter's firing.
The greeter is not saying god bless you. He isn't saying that anyone specific should bless you. Have a blessed day and take your blessings from whomever you please.

"May Allah Bless You" is quite different from "Have a Blessed Day" (may you be blessed by god, Allah, Buddha, the Earth Mother, your grandmother, or the lottery number generator.)

However, if a greeter was saying May Allah Bless you, I would ignore than just as I ignore Have a Blessed Day. As long as they are not pushing it from a position of power, it makes no difference to me. Now, if my child's school teacher started the class ever hour that way, I might say something. But some poor minimum wage clerk wants to say it, he has no power over me.

By the way, I don't object to the Salvation Army setting bell ringers outside the store and the Salvation Army is a Christian church. So what. They aren't in any position of power over my life and I suspect that they do a lot of good work with those donations. I've got my religion and they are perfectly welcome to have theirs... and that goes for the greeter who is Muslim. It simply does not affect me.

I'd buy from a store with a menorah in the window, too. And Happy Holidays to them.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:24 AM

21,010 posts, read 25,794,422 times
Come to think of it, I wouldn't stay out of a mall with a nativity scene set up. I just hope they have a live camel, because I like to see camels, although I would settle for a live donkey.

I don't feel that shopping there is supporting a Christian church. It's not, it is supporting the various owners of the various stores and their families.

A nativity scene at the courthouse is different. I don't want to go in there thinking I will be judged by whatever is written in the bible. But it certainly has no effect on my shopping. If bibles are on sale (or free) I can just walk past and not buy one.

I shop where they have decorated Yule trees, too. I like them. They are festive. I like the elven lights, too, even though I am not an elf.

Some people are just much too sensitive and take offense too easily. Or maybe they think no one should be allowed to have a religion if they don't have one themselves. What's the word for that? Oh yeah. Intolerant.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:04 PM

25,907 posts, read 34,995,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
And as a thinking person, taking it as just that is the right thing to do. It's not like saying "May Allah's blessings be with you" is them saying "May the sting of millions of jalapeno's burn you when you visit the bathroom today" or anything. It's just someone of a different faith saying something nice in the way they know how. Anyone with half a brain cell would know that.
I agree that it's innocuous, but I defend a business's right to control what its employees say to the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events