U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 09:18 AM

14,057 posts, read 8,942,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Don't some pagan/wiccan followers also use the word "blessed"?
Don't know about Wiccans mind you but as a Pagan myself I'll say something like bright blessings to you.

I think this is all getting out of hand really quick. I don't hate anyone's religion or lack of it I even will take a tract if someone hands it to me & walks off. I'll throw it away soon after though.
We live in a world were everyone gets their pants in a wad over someone say something like have a blessed day. I'm glad I won't be here to see what the world looks like in 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:39 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,044,775 times
Taking offense due to simple well-wishing is intellectually dishonest.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:43 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,693,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
high ranking and you shop at walmart? lol that just made my day.
That's an odd thing to say. Why wouldn't high ranking associates shop at Walmart stores? After all their bonuses are impacted by the success of the business and all the RSUs they receive are as well.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:02 AM

4,486 posts, read 4,381,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I agree.

It's just not something to complain about. Someone wishes someone else a blessed day. They are being nice. They aren't trying to impose their beliefs on anyone by using the word "blessed".
I disagree.

The word "blessed" (def: having a sacred nature : connected with God) certainly has religious overtones. Yes, I know, it does have other definitions, but in our culture that is the primary definition.

So I view "have a blessed day" as a thinly disguised way for for the person to "share God's love" and show his own piety. I mean, how many non-Christians say "have a blessed day"?

If a person truly just wanted to wish me a nice day, with no other motive, they would simply say "have a nice day."

Now with all that said, I will add that I always smile and accept their good wishes, and am not upset in the least (perhaps mildly amused that the person still believes the things I once foolishly believed). But dont kid yourself that there is no religious intent.

Old 11-30-2016, 02:41 PM

5,444 posts, read 4,788,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I disagree.

The word "blessed" (def: having a sacred nature : connected with God) certainly has religious overtones. Yes, I know, it does have other definitions, but in our culture that is the primary definition.

So I view "have a blessed day" as a thinly disguised way for for the person to "share God's love" and show his own piety. I mean, how many non-Christians say "have a blessed day"?

If a person truly just wanted to wish me a nice day, with no other motive, they would simply say "have a nice day."

Now with all that said, I will add that I always smile and accept their good wishes, and am not upset in the least (perhaps mildly amused that the person still believes the things I once foolishly believed). But dont kid yourself that there is no religious intent.
Just curious, what do you say when the person right next to you sneezes?

Old 11-30-2016, 03:45 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,381,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I say nothing. I find it odd for anyone to comment on bodily noises that another person makes, be it sneeze, belch, passing gas, or tummy rumbling. I consider it polite to "not notice" such sounds.

The only exception would be serious choking, or similar, that would warrant my taking notice, and perhaps utilizing my CPR training.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:13 AM

6,941 posts, read 12,402,959 times
I just say Gesundheit.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:45 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,693,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
And the southern saying "Bless her heart" clearly means hopefully God blesses her

Old 12-01-2016, 09:52 AM

2,420 posts, read 1,032,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionInOcala View Post
Taking offense due to simple well-wishing is intellectually dishonest.
Deciding what other people are allowed to find offensive isn't?

Old 12-01-2016, 09:55 AM

2,420 posts, read 1,032,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
And the southern saying "Bless her heart" clearly means hopefully God blesses her
Bless your heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDA4LTm0s78
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events