U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 02:11 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,752,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I always thought it odd people would wish me a "Merry Christmas" without knowing whether or not I observed it.

Like, I don't wish my Christian, Muslim or Wiccan friends a "Happy Hanukkah," a Prosperous Purim or a "L'Shana Tova."

But I do wish them respective holiday greetings of, "Merry Christmas, Good Ramadan and Merry Solstice. Whichever pertains to them. That's why I like the "Happy Holidays" greeting because it's all inclusive. Except, of course, if someone is Atheist.

It doesn't offend me or make me upset when someone wishes me well in the name of their holiday, it's just that I find it odd. So what would others think of someone wishing them a Happy holiday for a holiday they didn't observe?
I was speaking to my friend yesterday, she is Russian Jewish. I was about to ask her 'what are you doing for Christmas?' until I remembered...I quickly changed to 'holidays.' I think its respectful to remember that not everyone is Christian and has the same practices or beliefs.

I think the OP story is sad though. Someone saying 'have a blessed day' is just sharing a positive thing, I don't see anything wrong there. If anything, we need more positive things like this in our society. That's my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 03:47 PM

3,723 posts, read 4,582,450 times
Quote:
I always thought it odd people would wish me a "Merry Christmas" without knowing whether or not I observed it.

Like, I don't wish my Christian, Muslim or Wiccan friends a "Happy Hanukkah," a Prosperous Purim or a "L'Shana Tova."

But I do wish them respective holiday greetings of, "Merry Christmas, Good Ramadan and Merry Solstice. Whichever pertains to them. That's why I like the "Happy Holidays" greeting because it's all inclusive. Except, of course, if someone is Atheist.

It doesn't offend me or make me upset when someone wishes me well in the name of their holiday, it's just that I find it odd. So what would others think of someone wishing them a Happy holiday for a holiday they didn't observe?
I've always said Merry Christmas, being that I was raised a Christian, but expect others to wish me well for their holiday in return. I say Merry Christmas to a Jewish person they thank me and wish me a Happy Hanukkah and I thank them. But that was back in the 1980s when we all still had manners and weren't suspicious of each other.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:22 PM

646 posts, read 344,302 times
Quote:

I guess since the majority observes some form of Christmas they figure they should just wish everyone Merry X-mas. Doesn't make sense to me but I also believe we have much bigger problems in this world than a holiday greeting

Old 12-03-2016, 08:12 PM

6,963 posts, read 12,452,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post

I guess since the majority observes some form of Christmas they figure they should just wish everyone Merry X-mas. Doesn't make sense to me but I also believe we have much bigger problems in this world than a holiday greeting
I feel the same way. I also feel that is why we have much bigger problems in this world. There is no focus on the big problems. The focus is on PC such as Greetings. Walking on egg shells with everyone is no way to live.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:33 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,944,162 times
In the late 1970's, I attended a college that had a significant Jewish population. I've wished Jewish friends, "Merry Christmas", and their reply was Thank you, you too. In turn was I wished Happy Hanukkah, and my response, was also, Thank you, you too.

When someone offers you good wishes, the polite thing to do is to say, "Thank you, you too."

That being said, it's different when you work for a business. Often it's important to the business that you stay on script.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:24 PM

7,083 posts, read 4,113,704 times
It's just silly to be offended by such a religious themed greeting. I just feel sorry for the person giving the greeting as they have been let down by our education system.

Many Christians are not even aware of the hypocrisy of the history of Christmas. There's a reason that the super Christian Puritans outlawed it in New England for being a pagan custom. But it's a fun holiday to enjoy regardless of your religion.

Last edited by notnamed; 12-03-2016 at 09:34 PM..

Old 12-06-2016, 10:48 AM

22,560 posts, read 28,516,440 times
I can't blame Walmart, if the customers were complaining. But how petty is that for the customers to file a complaint over something so trivial. Whoever complained is way too sensitive and has way too many control issues.

Even "Merry Christmas" is not all that offensive. Christmas is such a secular holiday that many people who are not Christians also celebrate Christmas. Personally, I am extremely opposed to having Christians try to rub their religion in my face, but even I am not offended by "merry christmas" and my non-christian family celebrates some of the activities.

I do not think that "merry Christmas" means "and no one else gets to have this time of year as a holiday". It's just a cheerful greeting. I'm not offended by "Good-bye" either, which is the contraction for "god be with you".

Really. So what.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:21 PM

2,384 posts, read 1,551,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can't blame Walmart, if the customers were complaining. But how petty is that for the customers to file a complaint over something so trivial. Whoever complained is way too sensitive and has way too many control issues.

Even "Merry Christmas" is not all that offensive. Christmas is such a secular holiday that many people who are not Christians also celebrate Christmas. Personally, I am extremely opposed to having Christians try to rub their religion in my face, but even I am not offended by "merry christmas" and my non-christian family celebrates some of the activities.

I do not think that "merry Christmas" means "and no one else gets to have this time of year as a holiday". It's just a cheerful greeting. I'm not offended by "Good-bye" either, which is the contraction for "god be with you".

Really. So what.

I can see why they would because I've seen Walmart employees use the expression to show bias, saying to some but not others. The ones they didn't say it too might be less well dressed or a different race. Seen it with my own eyes.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:33 AM

376 posts, read 194,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
WHAT????? Okay you are seriously screwed up if you think that this man is "intruding on your belief system".
They aren't intruding on my belief system but they are making the incorrect assumption that I buy into their ignorant one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events