Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 01:36 PM

240 posts, read 252,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
say this to me in the elevator, etc. I wouldn't complain about a Walmart employee either, but it makes me a little uncomfortable and I don't know what the response should be, other than "thank you," and take it in the spirit given. I think it would be easier to accept if people said, "I hope you have a blessed day," because "have a blessed day," sounds like to me THEY are trying to bless me and I don't think they are qualified to do that.
That is a most bizarre statement. Maybe I'm misunderstanding it? I'm almost afraid to ask who has and who hasn't the qualifications to bless you.
Or better yet, never mind. I'll just move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 03:05 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I don't suppose it ever occurred to anybody that the guy was conferring the blessing of Quetzlcoatl upon them?
or Ra?
Or Jupiter?
Or Venus?
Or Thor?
Or maybe even Loki?
Or Ahura Mazda?
Or the Great Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Y'know, folks, the God of Abraham isn't the ONLY god that has ever been worshiped or called on to confer blessings on this ball of mud and rock!

But, regarding store "greeters", I don't even notice them, either on my way in the store, or on my way out. They are just part of the furniture.
Exactly. By the grace of Ra, we are all alive today. Have a blessed day, everyone

Old 02-03-2015, 03:07 PM

804 posts, read 1,075,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
Public pressure and strong support on social media have forced Walmart in Blue Ridge to do an about face on censoring one of their long-time greeters.

----------------------------

My whole family is and was at Wal-Mart. And yeah, some us are very high ranking. This is a very dedicated individual and has been for numerous years( as stated) at Wal-mart The times have changed but Wal-mart has been around for over 50 years. So yeah, I too remember Sam onstage when the "shareholders" meetings were potluck dinners of different departments getting together. I knew Sam Walton when I was 9 years old and he was a manager at his first store. I watched the man age and I worked for his wife.( at one time) I saw Sam in a wheel chair. I know his kids.

Time goes on.. but the memory doesn't change of how Wal-mart started.

Nothing to see here. Good guy.. If you don't work there.. and haven't worked there for 20-30 years, you wouldn't "get it".
high ranking and you shop at walmart? lol that just made my day.

Old 02-03-2015, 03:46 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
If you don't work there.. and haven't worked there for 20-30 years, you wouldn't "get it".
I guess there are very few who do get it since 97% of their workforce has been there less than 30 years. Sad that a company has a culture that most of their employees don't understand. maybe that's where it went wrong?

Old 02-03-2015, 05:07 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
BLUE RIDGE, Ga. — Public pressure and strong support on social media have forced Walmart in Blue Ridge to do an about face on censoring one of their long-time greeters.

James Philips is the first person people see when they walk into Walmart and he has always greeted them with "Have a blessed day" until someone complained and he was silenced.

Walmart asks greeter to stop saying 'Have a blessed day' | www.wsbtv.com
Religious context aside a former regional manager I worked under put it this way: don't tell people (customer) what kind of day to have, thank them for coming in/shopping.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:25 PM

568 posts, read 1,128,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzyst View Post
say this to me in the elevator, etc. I wouldn't complain about a Walmart employee either, but it makes me a little uncomfortable and I don't know what the response should be, other than "thank you," and take it in the spirit given. I think it would be easier to accept if people said, "I hope you have a blessed day," because "have a blessed day," sounds like to me THEY are trying to bless me and I don't think they are qualified to do that.
WTF??? #lesighs

Old 02-03-2015, 05:47 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,501,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It wouldn't offend me but I think it's inappropriate. The guy shouldn't be saying it to the customers. Some people have to be told when they are intruding their belief systems on others. He probably didn't even think about it. He can just as easily say "have a nice day," or "have a good day" if he wants to wish someone well.
So people should riot when greeted with "namaste" or some other spiritual phrase?

Old 02-03-2015, 06:34 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
OK, let's be clear about something. It's certainly your right to not like God or anything associated with God. However, if someone says "Have a blessed day", they aren't pushing their belief system on you. They aren't promoting anything and they sure as hell (no pun) aren't insulting you. YOU are inferring all of this. YOU are jumping to conclusions based on a simple well-wish. It's easy for people to walk around claiming to be offended by everything. But, just be real--the issue isn't created by the Wal Mart greeter. This issue exists because of you and the enormous chip on your shoulder.
Lets be clear about something else....you have no idea how something might be offensive to someone else. What you may be trying to say is they didn't intend to insult me, but that didn't work with racism and it doesn't work here. It's unlike anything else because its religion and people are passionate about religion. People die for religion and people kill for religion. When you say this to me, I am insulted. I don't want your blessing. I don't want your God to even know I exist, let alone interfere with my life by blessing me. Its no different to me than me telling you to "F off" as a greeting. As others have said, if I reply with "may Allah be with you today", people are going to freak out. So keep your religion to yourself in all aspects, and we will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I would reply with "it looks like he already took yours. After all, you are the one who is a door greeter at walmart."

As for the topic, this is just completely silly. Whether you are religious or not, just say "thanks" and move on. It really is that simple.
True...good point!

I agree, while I don't like it, I would never have said anything in all likelihood.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:00 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,285,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Lets be clear about something else....you have no idea how something might be offensive to someone else. What you may be trying to say is they didn't intend to insult me, but that didn't work with racism and it doesn't work here. It's unlike anything else because its religion and people are passionate about religion. People die for religion and people kill for religion. When you say this to me, I am insulted. I don't want your blessing. I don't want your God to even know I exist, let alone interfere with my life by blessing me. Its no different to me than me telling you to "F off" as a greeting. As others have said, if I reply with "may Allah be with you today", people are going to freak out. So keep your religion to yourself in all aspects, and we will be fine.

True...good point!

I agree, while I don't like it, I would never have said anything in all likelihood.
You obviously have a lot of mental stuff to deal with. So, good luck with all of that. The rest of us will take society's good wishes in the spirits with which they're given.

Old 02-03-2015, 07:20 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,809,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersbone View Post
high ranking and you shop at walmart? lol that just made my day.
Yep, all the time. I know how most stores are ran before I ever go in there. ( That includes Target, Walgreens or whoever) My family has hundreds employment years, I think. That goes back to when Loretta Boss was Sams secretary. I haven't looked it up but she was his secretary forever. ( even in the early years) She was over at our house for cripes sakes. I know Wal-Mart better than Wal-Mart knows Wal-Mart. My brain is all numbers that fits just right with corporate ( that is why I had to get out of it)_ But, I haven't worked there in some time. I worked in GO for ten years, I worked at a store and a warehouse as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events